Players Handbook 3

Dr_Ruminahui

First Post
Well, PH3 has the new Psion power group, which includes the Monk in the striker role. Apparently the Psion power source has no encounter powers, but instead uses some sort of point system that allows you toessentially boost your at-wills into encounters.

It also has a new fey race (Wilderlings, I think they are called).

Other than that, I don't really know - and I haven't heard anything about Arcane Power 2 - shouldn't there be a Martial Power 2 first?

WalterKovacs

First Post
What's been spoiled/confirmed so far via ddi:

New primal class: Seeker, a bow wielding controller

Psionic classes: Monk (striker) and Psion (controller). Outside of the Monk, Psionics use power points (an encounter resource) that 'improve' at-will powers into encounter powers.

Skill Powers: Utility powers that are 'unlocked' by being trained in a skill. Can be taken in place of class utility powers.

Hybrid Classes: Instead of multiclassing, this is a 'half-and-half' class that takes two classes and stiches them together, losing some features in exchange for the versatility of being two classes.

New races: Githzerai and Wilden have been spoiled, while Minotaur is confirmed.

Thats a lot of cool stuff right there.. in my opinion.

Psychic Warrior? or is that just Fighter / Psion hybrid.

Well, we don't know. An educated guess would be 8 classes, but it could be less. There are supposedly definitely 4 races, but I'm not sure where that information comes from.

My guess would be there will be at least 2 and maybe 3 more Psionic classes on top of the 2 we know about already. Presumably a defender will likely be one of them, but there's no way of telling exactly what it will look like.

So lets assume 8 classes with 5 being Psionic, then that still leaves 2 that are totally up in the air after Seeker, and possibly 3. Its pretty hard to say what those could be since Divine and Arcane seem pretty stuffed full already. With Seeker it rather seems like Primal is getting pretty crowded as well. I have yet to hear a convincing story about a niche for another Martial class either, despite the small number of existing ones.

Of course PHB3 may stray more from the format of the first 2 PHBs, its hard to say. There will be a good bit of stuff covered. The hybrid rules are going to take up a bit of space, there will need to be a good bit of feat and item support for Psionic, and given that the Seeker missed getting any support in PP they may dedicate more space than usual to supporting that as well since PP2 is going to be a LONG time coming. The new skill powers will also eat up some page count and there may be any number of other topics covered which have been neglected so far. I guess we'll see when it drops. It should be interesting.

Remove ads