• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Player's Handbook Table of Contents Excerpt

delericho

Legend
So Basic is indeed about a third of the PHB (at present). Additionally, from a casual look at the page-count, it seems Basic includes about half of each Class it includes (4 page of Cleric vs 8, etc). Since there's certain foundational class features that must be repeated as-is, that suggests the PHB will probably have 2.5 - 3.5 times as many customisation options for each class (and, presumably, similar amounts for races, etc).

I think I'm happy with that on both counts - Basic seems to be a really solid taster of what this new edition is all about, while the PHB includes a good deal more.

All in all, today has been a really good day for 5e, IMO.

Mercurius

Legend
Thankfully no magic items - or did we know that already?

I was also a bit (pleasantly) surprised at the short length of the Combat chapter. I'm too tired to go check, but if I remember correctly that's a fraction of 4E and 3.5.

delericho

Legend

I was also a bit (pleasantly) surprised at the short length of the Combat chapter. I'm too tired to go check, but if I remember correctly that's a fraction of 4E and 3.5.

26 pages in 3.0e, 28 in 3.5e, and 32 in 4e. But remember that 4e used a much bigger font size and much more whitespace than the others, and than the 5e materials so far.

(Also, Basic has 8.5 pages on the subject.)

Evenglare

Adventurer
They didn't say that some monster stuff WOULDN'T be in PHB, there 8 pages of that monster stat appendix. I'm thinking some rules to make your own may be in there. But who knows we don't have confirmation either way.

It is interesting to note that the section on personality and background is twice as long as combat. I'm sure art and layout are a major factor, but it still is nice to see that kind of emphasis. It bodes well for the kind of game I'm personally looking for.

the Jester

Legend
They didn't say that some monster stuff WOULDN'T be in PHB, there 8 pages of that monster stat appendix. I'm thinking some rules to make your own may be in there. But who knows we don't have confirmation either way.

I would bet a dollar that any monster creation stuff is either in the MM or, most likely, the DMG.

I think the monster stuff in the PH will be creatures that pcs can summon, turn into, or otherwise access via spells or character options of one sort or another.

Li Shenron

Legend
...when WotC asked on Twitter what page of the PHB would people like to preview, I said the index, so maybe someone listened :cool:

Except that I was hoping to see subclasses mentioned also in the index, but unfortunately they aren't.

All in all, everything is like we expected (we already learned a lot about the PHB in the past few weeks), except the appendixes.

It's a good choice IMO to put religions and cosmology in the appendix, because this emphasizes that they are just examples, so even if FR is called the "default" setting, it's not really upfront in the PHB.

I am also very hopeful that the appendix on creatures stats will in fact include a short write-up of every creature that can be used as a regular familiar/companion or bought for transportation. If including also all those that can be summoned or polymorphed into is too much, I'll be fine if there's 3-4 per spell. These would really make the PHB a self-sufficient/standalone book.

Remathilis

Legend

I wager its mostly Animal Companions, Familiars, Wild Shape options, Summons, and maybe some animated dead; things spells or classes use so that the Monster Manual is firmly in the hands of the DM at all times.

Remove ads