• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Playing Aids for the old RAvenloftII: House on Gryphon Hill Campaign

Shadowslayer

Explorer
Hmm...can't comment on the contents. The module's still in the attic over at the house I grew up in. I can tell you that Ravenloft 2 was a REALLY goofy module to run...just because of all the stuff you needed to keep track of. I hated it.

It was definitely a case of a sequel not living up to the original.

koosbeer

First Post
Thank you for the replies guys. It seems that i have to wing it then. Because even though that Event Chart does seem like the right thing, it does not cover all the events. Ah well, ill just wing it. Thnx for the help. This is a AWESOME community and you guys have made a active member/reader out of me... Thanks alot!

Long live RP!

Cthulhudrew

First Post
koosbeer said:
Thank you for the replies guys. It seems that i have to wing it then. Because even though that Event Chart does seem like the right thing, it does not cover all the events.

You might want to check the text of some events a bit closer for their timing. I noticed that Event #2 follows exactly from #1 despite not being on the Event Chart, and #4 is more of just a whenever sort of event (when the characters decide to go into village), and can go anywhere, while E9 specifically mentions it only occurs under certain conditions (and thus doesn't appear on the chart).

Number 6

First Post
I've read this adventure a few times over the last 25 years... and I might have missed it, but what exactly is the purpose of the Cargo Roster?

Event 6 lists delivery from the Warehouse to Heather House, but some of the 11 items are not slated for the Weathermays (or their household staff).

The adventure is supposed to take place in October, and the Alchemist is supposed to have created (and attempted to use) The Apparatus at least a month before the adventure starts... yet the Cargo Roster shows a couple of items that probably are for The Apparatus delivered around the 20th and 22nd of October.

I'm probably reading too much in to this. ;)

Stormonu

Legend
Nice thread necromancy.

I was never fond of this module (I enjoy I6 far more), it's ending is rather unsatisfactory (too railroady/deus ex machina) and the ghost of Griffon Hill itself is rather pathetic.

As for the roster, if my 20-year old memory of this module is correct, it is supposed to give hints of the apparatus being built and possibly as something that might be tracked down via a locate object spell or the like. There's a few unusual items in the roster that give hints of places to go in town (missing components that had to be acquired locally and the like) that should give PCs clues where to go next if they can be deciphered. It's kind of like a scavenger hunt.

For the most part though, the roster and the like are very much like the type of handouts one might see for Call of Cthulhu adventures, and I think it was an attempt to copy Chaosium in this matter.

Sadly, the old link to the free version of the module on the Wizard's site doesn't even work any more. :(

Number 6

First Post
As for the roster, if my 20-year old memory of this module is correct, it is supposed to give hints of the apparatus being built and possibly as something that might be tracked down via a locate object spell or the like. There's a few unusual items in the roster that give hints of places to go in town (missing components that had to be acquired locally and the like) that should give PCs clues where to go next if they can be deciphered. It's kind of like a scavenger hunt.
That may be, but the dates listed do not seem to figure well with the game's story.

It's a little frustrating. ;)

Stormonu

Legend
The Apparatus at least a month before the adventure starts... yet the Cargo Roster shows a couple of items that probably are for The Apparatus delivered around the 20th and 22nd of October.

I'm probably reading too much in to this. ;)

I took the parts as being replacements for parts damaged in the first use, or parts that came in after Strahd had to find other components to use in creating the Apparatus (shipping being a notoriously slow, error-prone and loss-prone process).

for ex.,
Ship Captain:"Here's the glass tubing you ordered"
Strahd: "Thanks, I could have used that three months ago instead of going to XYZ's glassworks (and using their inferior glass)"

Remove ads