D&D (2024) Playtest 6: Spells

Stalker0

Legend
So here is the thread to talk spells.

After the big discussion about Power Word Kill here: https://www.enworld.org/threads/power-word-kill-houserule-any-100-hp-within-1-minute.697945/

I was curious to see what they came up with. So now its an automatic 12d12 psychic damage (avg 78) if they are over 100 hp.

Its certainly an improvement, though I question whether you would take this over meteor swarm. I mean I can deal up to 140 damage with MS, or 70 on a save, which is close to PWK, but I can hit more targets, with much greater range. I think I would have perferred if PWK damage was untyped, that way you can argument the lack of resistability. fire is a much more common resistance than psychic but at high levels psychic resistance does become more commonplace.

Lastly....12d12 is just an awkward roll to make. A lot of tables are not going to have 12 d12s (you often just have 1 or 2), so you are doing a lot of re-rolls, whereas there are plenty of people that have 20 d6s

Stalker0

Legend
My other spell notes:

• I am surprised that shining smite was unchanged. That is to the absolute strongest smite in the game, you can generate advantage on all rolls against a target....NO SAVE. Its an incredible boss killer.
  • How in god's name is Power Word Heal an enchantment? Is this literally mind over matter, I believe so hard that I'm not basically dying that I'm not dying?
  • Find Steed: Overall I like this spell but I'm surprised with WOTC restricting fly in so many other areas that this is still here. AT 13th level a paladin gains perma-flight, and heck can probably bring a friend on horseback as well. You can't even dispel the steed which is one weakness of flight wizards have to deal with. On the flip side, I think the horse is going to struggle in the 6-9 levels, 25 hp with an AC 12 is not going to hold up very well.
  • I am also quite surprised to not see another Guidance/Resistance on this docket since they said they are settling down on changes, are they really ok with that new resistance?

My other spell notes:
  • How in god's name is Power Word Heal an enchantment? Is this literally mind over matter, I believe so hard that I'm not basically dying that I'm not dying?
I think that Power Word: Heal should be Abjuration (positive energy) and Power Word: Kill should be Necromancy (negative energy), and they are wonderful mirrors of each other both power-wise and narratively.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
How about they create 1 power word for every school of magic? An ultimate expression of that type of magic. That might be interesting!
No, enchantment is literally the entire thematic concept behind words of power. They’re not just spells, they’re fragments of the song of the Valar that wove the cosmos together. To speak the words is to make them so. That’s enchantment, through and through.

Remove ads