D&D (2024) Playtest 8 Spell Discussion

Amrûnril

Adventurer
In addition to the Barbarian, Druid and Monk, the playtest packet includes changes to a number of spells.

The largest number of changes are to conjure spells. I think it's a bit odd that the summoned entities can't be interacted with by attacks or most spells, but otherwise I generally like these spells. I do think that they're sufficiently different from the 2014 spells that they should be considered new spells with new names. I assume the intent is to avoid having other books reference spells that don't exist in the 2014 rules, but having these books reference a spell that's completely different from the one they originally intended to reference seems like just as much of a problem (especially when a different set of spells is filling the role of the original conjure spells).

I'm not sure what to think of the changes to cure wounds and healing word yet. This is definitely a significant buff to spells that were already widely used, albeit not as significant as the raw numbers imply (since bringing a target back from unconsciousness is often more important that the numerical amount of healing). This should make in-combat healing of conscious targets more attractive, but magical out of combat healing will also be dramatically improved. All in all, this will allow players who enjoy a healing role to be more effective, but I worry it will also increase pressure for players who would rather do something else to take on a healing role.

Power Word Fortify and Starry Wisp seem like elegant additions to the game. I particularly like that Starry Wisp gives Bards an alternative to Vicious Mockery as an attack cantrip.

Of course, what's also significant are the spells not included in the playtest. I was very glad to see the balance pass on cantrips in the Bastions UA, and I think the leveled spells would benefit from a similar treatment. Hopefully this is at least happening through the internal playtest, since it seems like time's run out to include this in the public playtest.

I was part way through writing my own version.

Spells
  • Conjure Animals - Druidic Spirit Guardians that don't have to be centered on the caster. Not as strong as Fireball but strong
  • Conjure Celestial - create a pillar of light (Cleric, L7). Big, beefy, no idea about balance
  • Conjure Elemental - 20ft diameter area control that sucks people in. I don't see how fire grapples; should be split into four different spells for the different elementals.
  • Conjure Fey - massively upcast Spiritual Weapon that occupies space
  • Conjure Minor Elementals - didn't the Spirit Shroud just break the Bladelock? This upcasts like a monster - huge potential with a Bladesinger or a wildshaped moon druid (cast this before wild shaping).
  • Conjure Woodland Beings - a strictly weaker upcast Spirit Shroud. Why? Especially when Conjure Animals exists and is lower level.
  • Fount of Moonlight - Another Spirit Shroud-alike. This time actually for Moon Druids and provides protection. Also for bards - and it doesn't upcast
  • Power Word: Fortify. Great. 120thp to share evenly (which is why it goes up to six).
  • Starry Wisp: A perfectly fine cantrip
I really dislike the old Conjure spells and think the Summoning spells from Tasha's are a huge improvement. That said some of these spells are better than others.

As for the healing buff, healing should never never outpace damage. But Cure Wounds needed the buff (and preferably to drive Healing Word into a smaller niche).

Bolares

Hero
Power Word Fortify - unless I’m missing something, it says it fortifies up to six creatures. Which means you can distribute it evenly, or you can just slap all 120 thp on the tank.
Yep, the spell is flexible and you can distribute it equally between 1-6 targets.

Yaarel

He Mage
In the spell descriptions, to list the classes is waste of space. It is unnecessary − and is always untrue because subclasses and other features can gain the spells anyway.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
In the spell descriptions, to list the classes is waste of space. It is unnecessary − and is always untrue because subclasses and other features can gain the spells anyway.
It depends on how much space is used in the final version of the PHB. I don't know that saving half of a line of text (when printed in two columns) is somehow better than requiring people to constantly flip back and forth between the spell list and individual entries.

But yes, it's a constantly moving target, especially now that the arcane/divine/primal arrangement was rolled back. C'est le vie.

Remove ads