D&D (2024) Playtest 8 Spell Discussion

Yaarel

He Mage
It is absolutely 100% necessary to list which classes can take which spells if they want them playtested. Which means that they need to put it somewhere in the packet.
As a temporary playtest rule, I guess thats fine.

But in the 2024 Players Handbook, I prefer clean and meaningful, and elegant.

I do think it helps clarify the spells more than "spell school" does.
The best solution is to revamp the spell schools, maybe add dunomancy for force spells.

Then, each class (and subclass) says which schools it can access.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Listing classes in the spell description is objectively taking up space that is an unnecessary waste of space.
Unnecessary does not equate to bad. It can in fact be good, since even having the spell at all is unnecessary. As for it being wasted space, despite your claim it is not objective. That's an opinion you have formed which not everyone shares.

I for one much preferred the 3e model of the classes being included in the spell. It's a royal pain to flip back and forth to see if a spell I am interested in is on the list. For me it is an unnecessary great use of space. Space that as noted isn't being used for anything else anyway.

Yaarel

He Mage
Unnecessary does not equate to bad. It can in fact be good, since even having the spell at all is unnecessary. As for it being wasted space, despite your claim it is not objective. That's an opinion you have formed which not everyone shares.

I for one much preferred the 3e model of the classes being included in the spell. It's a royal pain to flip back and forth to see if a spell I am interested in is on the list. For me it is an unnecessary great use of space. Space that as noted isn't being used for anything else anyway.
Unnecessary does equate to unnecessary, distracting, waste of space, that interferes with already complex technical descriptions. So it does equate to bad.

Again, players need to go back and forth anyway to locate the spell names of the needed spell slot level.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
And is always untrue, since there are other ways to gain spells.
You keep saying that, but you are objectively wrong. It can never be untrue. Wizards have access to X spells. Sorcerers have access to Y spells. Clerics have access to Z spells. They will always have access to those spells as a class regardless of any subclasses that also can access to some of those spells.

You are also taking an instance of specific beats general to say that the general rule shouldn't be there. That's faulty logic.

The worst seem the Conjure elemental.
You just bring a powerful elemental spirit, then nothing.
You have to wait that an enemy move closer.
You can’t move the spirit, and if the fight shift place your spirit is stuck there.
They really don’t want we use this spell!

Yaarel

He Mage
You keep saying that, but you are objectively wrong. It can never be untrue. Wizards have access to X spells. Sorcerers have access to Y spells. Clerics have access to Z spells. They will always have access to those spells as a class regardless of any subclasses that also can access to some of those spells.

You are also taking an instance of specific beats general to say that the general rule shouldn't be there. That's faulty logic.
This finite class list in the spell description itself creates the misleading impression that other classes are unable to acquire these spells.

This impression is false.

The class list is misleading.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Unnecessary does equate to unnecessary, distracting, waste of space, that interferes with already complex technical descriptions. So it does equate to bad.

Again, players need to go back and forth anyway to locate the spell names of the needed spell slot level.
Unnecessary ONLY equates to Unnecessary, which applies to the entire PHB. There no individual rule in there that the game requires. Saying something is unnecessary is a Red Herring. It just distracts and nothing more.

As for waste of space and interference, that again is your personal opinion. Not fact. Not objective. Your opinion is that it interferes, though it has literally never interfered with me in 3e. It's the same with your equating it to bad. It's bad for YOU. It's not bad for me.

Remove ads