• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Playtest Packet 6: Monk reactions?

More DP and less cost is functionality the same thing.

I won't be upset with either.

They are similar, but not quite the same. Either way, things improve, yes. I just think it's better to assure someone they'll always have their gimmick and focus on just letting the monk do more. I think the biggest thing to improve here are stuff like Deflect Missile by allowing people to do it without a reaction at the cost of DP. Stuff like that, where the Monk can kind of break the reaction economy (to an extent), would be very useful and cool.

Clint_L

Legend
Which is why I like the recharge idea.

As an action, regain a ki.
That is the most feel-bad ability I can imagine. DM: "Okay...Tom, your turn. What do you want to do?" Tom: "I recharge one di point."

They fixed the subclass.

Shadow monk darkness cost 1 instead of 2. And shadow step is free.

Open hand is added on to flurry, no extra cost. And you get step of the wind for free.

Elemental cost 1 for a 10 minutes of reach. And 1 for 10 minutes of flight.
I don't think level 11 abilities count as "fixes," particularly when so much of the discussion is focused on how bad monks feel at low levels. Most characters never see level 11.

Which is my main point.

Monks have a good overall concept and design.
I mean...do they? There are other 5e-based systems that, for example, handle monk combat more like Street Fighter, where you start with openers and work towards finishers, and ki is just used for special abilities, not just to let you do basic stuff like punch someone an extra time.

mellored

Legend
That is the most feel-bad ability I can imagine. DM: "Okay...Tom, your turn. What do you want to do?" Tom: "I recharge one di point."
The way I was thinking of it is
Combat is over. I spend a few moments in meditation.
I don't think level 11 abilities count as "fixes," particularly when so much of the discussion is focused on how bad monks feel at low levels. Most characters never see level 11.
That's fair.
Monks don't really have a problem at higher level anyways.

It's the lower level that needs a boost.

mellored

Legend
Ok how about...

You have a pool equal to 3 + Wis.

At the end of each of your turns, you regain 1. This increases to 2 per turn at level 11. And 3 per turn at level 17.

*Flurry of blows cost 1 per extra attack (max wis points).
*Step on the wind cost 1 for disengage or dash, 2 for both.
*Patent defense gives +2 AC per point spent (max wis points).

Subclass cost can be adjusted as well.

Ok how about...

You have a pool equal to 3 + Wis.

At the end of each of your turns, you regain 1. This increases to 2 per turn at level 11. And 3 per turn at level 17.

*Flurry of blows cost 1 per extra attack (max wis points).
*Step on the wind cost 1 for disengage or dash, 2 for both.
*Patent defense gives +2 AC per point spent (max wis points).

Subclass cost can be adjusted as well.

These specific ideas aren't really my bag, but I think this sort of thought-process and design space is way more interesting and should be used more.

These specific ideas aren't really my bag, but I think this sort of thought-process and design space is way more interesting and should be used more.
I dunno... it's a very fiddly design that occurs every round. It's like trying to capture a video game energy bar that regenerates over time while you spend it each round. It would be fine for a digital game, but I wouldn't want to have to manage that alongside everything else you have to track in the round.

I dunno... it's a very fiddly design that occurs every round. It's like trying to capture a video game energy bar that regenerates over time while you spend it each round. It would be fine for a digital game, but I wouldn't want to have to manage that alongside everything else you have to track in the round.

I don't think these ones are necessarily the ones, but I do think a "Spend more to get more" design is something that could be interesting in certain ways. In fact, I think that'd be a cool niche for the Elementalist, where they can boost the output of something for an extra DP.

I don't think these ones are necessarily the ones, but I do think a "Spend more to get more" design is something that could be interesting in certain ways. In fact, I think that'd be a cool niche for the Elementalist, where they can boost the output of something for an extra DP.
There is something to be said of a design where you manifest a less powerful ability that has a primary effect, as well as a side effect to gain power in an energy pool that you can build up to spend on something more powerful later in the fight. It's a gamble because you don't know when the fight is going to end. But it can be a fun gamble.

Turn 1: I focus my Discipline to Aura Punch my opponent as an action and get a Di Point.
Turn 2: I focus my Discipline to Channel Resilience, to give myself 7 Temp HP as a bonus action, which gives me another Di Point, and also make some normal attacks.
Turn 3: I spend 2 Di points to perform the Iron Cricket Kick as an action, which deals 4d10 force damage, and knocks my enemy prone, no save.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads