• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Playtesting

okuth0r

First Post
As a general question to publishers, how do you test new rules? What kind of playtesting is done? How do you decide things are balanced? I am a nobody developing a D20 game/variant, have most of the ideas i have for the system down but how do i determine balance? How do you determin balance?

PatrickLawinger

First Post
okuth0r said:
As a general question to publishers, how do you test new rules? What kind of playtesting is done? How do you decide things are balanced? I am a nobody developing a D20 game/variant, have most of the ideas i have for the system down but how do i determine balance? How do you determin balance?

I know of two groups that I email material to for playtesting. One of the groups uses strict 25 point buy for their characters, the other group varies between 28 and 32 point buy and rolling 4d6 drop the lowest. I am pretty lucky to have them because my home group suffers rather regular changes.

Playtesting by other groups helps because they have to go from your written material so the playtesting helps test your writing as well as the mechanics.

It is much easier to get someone to test a d20/DnD adventure/monster/spell than a new game variant. Years ago there were some people with the RPGA that had organized groups that would playtest material. I am not with the RPGA anymore, from what I have heard and seen I don't think it is likely that this is true anymore. You might want to post something here on ENWorld when you are seeking playtesters.

Patrick

tensen

First Post
okuth0r said:

Well, the quick answer.. depends on just what it is you are doing.

Determining balance. Well thats a fun thing. You get to decide. First are you balancing it against WOTC products? And in comparison to which ones? Are you balancing with regards to several other publishers. In Dark Quest's case there are other publishers that we try to take into consideration when designing. If we have feats, we try to see what combinations there are out there, and run through the variables, because someone is bound to try and break it.

Designing Races. I tend to create several and run them through scenarios.

Designing Monsters. These get to be tested in combat against several predesigned parties.

okuth0r

First Post
As a game there has to be balance. Class A, compared to Class B., 4 players against monster X, class A has 12 abilities/extra feats/specials, class B has 8 but there worth more so they balance.
i want classes that balance, and have to figure out monster balance later(gonna be lost a little)

I would rather not let out specific info yet, but is playtesters the only way? what kind of feedback should i look for?

Sledge

First Post
Playtesting does wonders where just looking at it never does. I've seen so many classes that look like they've never been played. How do I know? Simple things like abilities that haven't been properly detailed, or classes that look fine, but are very broken in actual play.
Security wise a simple NDA will do and keep your stuff relatively safe.

Remove ads