Playtesting?

Vrecknidj

Explorer
If I had an inside way into playtesting, I'd use it. I assume the same is true of others. And, in some cases, it will probably work. That should cover some small percentage of the people they're looking for.

After that, I wouldn't be surprised if they selected folks who have a lot of RPGA events listed as played, and maybe some people who are listed as Master Level or higher DMs. But, honestly, they can probably get all the playtesters they need from people with RPGA numbers who have played and DMed in tons of events.

Dave

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
I just wanted to suggest that WotC take an approach to look at a pool of playtesters outside of the RPGA. I don't want to be too negative about the RPGA, because I've had some amazing game sessions in old Living City events, but, in general, there is a specific playstyle that I have seen in the games over the last few years.

It's not a bad playstyle, but it's also only one way to play D&D. I think to get a good sense of what's best for the game, it would be a good idea to seek playtesters with a wide variety of attitudes, backgrounds and experiences.

Just my $.02...

--Steve

hong

WotC's bitch
SteveC said:
I just wanted to suggest that WotC take an approach to look at a pool of playtesters outside of the RPGA. I don't want to be too negative about the RPGA, because I've had some amazing game sessions in old Living City events, but, in general, there is a specific playstyle that I have seen in the games over the last few years.

It's not a bad playstyle, but it's also only one way to play D&D. I think to get a good sense of what's best for the game, it would be a good idea to seek playtesters with a wide variety of attitudes, backgrounds and experiences.

Just my $.02...

--Steve
I agree with this. I suspect that the heavily codified, formulaic nature of 3E was at least in some part influenced by the fact that RPGA members were a large proportion of the playtest pool. The need for a strong, uniform ruleset is greatest if you're playing in lots of games with people whom you don't know or barely know. If your group is stable, not so much.

Agamon

Adventurer
They won't just pick RPGA members (which I don't think I am anymore), but D&DI members, too (which I am and didn't realize because I signed up to the WotC boards a few years ago but never really went there).

So they'll get feedback from more than just RPGA people (I agree, 100% RPGA playtest is not a good idea).

Scott_Rouse

Explorer
Right now donuts are pretty high on that list as are fly fishing trips to Argentina, Vintage Cars, Seahawks Season Tickets, and getting the Monster Manual in the Oprah Book Club.

Really though as much as we like donuts bribes are not required. We are in the process of determining the selection criteria for play testers we''l keep you posted.

Quartz

Hero
Scott, if you're looking for someone to have a critical think rather than a playtest (because I don't have a group), contact me and I can provide bona fides.

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
Scott_Rouse said:
Right now donuts are pretty high on that list as are fly fishing trips to Argentina, Vintage Cars, Seahawks Season Tickets, and getting the Monster Manual in the Oprah Book Club.

Really though as much as we like donuts bribes are not required. We are in the process of determining the selection criteria for play testers we''l keep you posted.

Perhaps part of your criteria should be including people enthused enough about playtesting to start a thread about it. ;)

The_Baldman

Explorer
blargney the second said:
Scott, will Canadians be eligible to playtest? I started a thread about it the other day, and I'm still keen to find out!
-blarg

I know at least one Canadian group that should be in as I added him to my list when I turned them in yesterday. So I would be surprised if there is something preventing other canadian groups for getting in.

Dave

Remove ads