• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Please confirm if characters must choose feat when they get it?

zoroaster100

First Post
Is it made clear anywhere in the core rules, errata or FAQ that when a character reaches third level, that character MUST choose their third level feat at that time, and can't save it until they fulfill other prerequisites at fourth level in order to choose a different feat than they could have chosen at third level? I believe I remember seeing threads in this very forum which addressed this question, but I didn't pay too much attention to the issue then, and now I have a player in my campaign asking if he can "save" his third level feat until fourth level. I don't believe it is possible to save the feat, but I'm looking for confirmation, or alternately, if I'm wrong, I'd like to know as well.

Findlefarb

First Post
That is correct. Gaining the feat is part of gaining the level; you can't finish gaining the level until you gain the feat. And thus, you can't gain the fourth level until after you've gained the third-level feat.

This is by design.

Sejs

First Post
Yeah, you can't 'bank' feats for later use. It's intentional, so as to disallow someone from dogging it and going featless until they meet whatever pre-reqs then just plugging their stored feats in after the fact.

Angerland

First Post
No reason he couldn't take the feat he wants to take at 4th level now, though is there , other than he can't use it until 4th level when he meets the pre reqs. or maybe that is illegal too. Honestly feats are always the one thing that I really end up taking the longest to pick so I may be wrong on this.

FreeTheSlaves

Adventurer
The level up sequence is quite specific in this regard, you may not save skill points or feats for later. Oddly it does seem to allow for you to lose the skill points/feats if you don't select them.

The reasons, to my thinking, is to maintain the integrity to the significance of the level-up system (as opposed to the more graduated-buy systems out there) & also to maintain the specific early feat option for various classes. E.g. fighters alone may have improved critical at 8th level & Wizards alone may have craft wand at 5th level.

shilsen

Adventurer
Angerland said:
No reason he couldn't take the feat he wants to take at 4th level now, though is there , other than he can't use it until 4th level when he meets the pre reqs. or maybe that is illegal too. Honestly feats are always the one thing that I really end up taking the longest to pick so I may be wrong on this.

The first sentence under the Prerequisites section of the Feats chapter (PHB pg.87) says that you must meet the prerequisite to "select or use that feat." So you can't pick a feat before you qualify to use it.

zoroaster100

First Post
Thanks for the responses. You've at least made me more sure of my understanding, though no one posted rule language that states it outright (I don't think such language exists). But I agree that the intent of the rules is clear when you read all the text of levels and gaining skills and feats. So I'll have to tell the player he'll have to wait until sixth level to pick that feat he wanted, once he gains the prerequisite for it at 4th level (he's multiclassing as a ranger and will gain a ranger feat equivalent at 4th character level, when he gains his second level in ranger.)

Jarrod

First Post
I've seen "banking" feats as a common house rule. Typically when it's something you'd qualify for at (level+1).

In fact... my first ever 3e game, I was playing a rogue/wizard multiclass. First level I wanted to take Weapon Finesse, but couldn't (BAB +0). So the GM let me hold onto the feat.

'course, then 2nd level was Wizard (BAB still +0), and I eventually qualified at 3rd level... when I got another feat. :) What a waste of time...

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
I also think that this is a great place for a houserule, inasmuch as it's really not unbalancing, it gives the players greater freedom, and it makes sense to me from a plausibility perspective.

Daniel

Angerland

First Post
shilsen said:
The first sentence under the Prerequisites section of the Feats chapter (PHB pg.87) says that you must meet the prerequisite to "select or use that feat." So you can't pick a feat before you qualify to use it.

Thanks. It was late when i posted this. I thought I was doing right, then as I was sitting in ront of the TV thinking about I realized just how of I was, sorry if I misled anyone but I think and hope I was the only one misled.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads