Please Help a 1st-timer Build a Grappler for AL

You can do nonlethal damage with spike growth, since you do 2d4 for each 5 feet, roll 2d4 at a time, your DM will be bored and to speed up, will let you aply nonleathal damage easily.

Actually, you can only do nonlethal damage with a melee attack. See PHB 198, Knocking a Creature Out.

Muladhara86

First Post
Actually, you can only do nonlethal damage with a melee attack. See PHB 198, Knocking a Creature Out.

Also, how do you not take damage from the spike growth as you drag someone through it? Are you just supposed to move along the edge of the adjacent squares? That seems kind of limiting. . .

zaratan

First Post
Sorry about lethal damage part, miss that. Look like you will need to use normal beast attacks for that.
Start deeping in rogue after lvl 3 as druid when you get spike growth. Or lvl 4if you need another feat or ASI.

War caster is good if you need to use somatics with shield and weapon. For you, better rake resilient in constitution, scale better with lvls, gives you +1 in con and work with every con save, not just concentration.

After that, max your Wis. If resilient result in odd Con, you can grab Observant feat to help with the odd numbers, it is a good feat for entire party, but not a "must have".

Don't see any great in Sailor background. You just need prof in athletics, the rest take what you fit better.

Since this is for an AL character, the rules for customizing backgrounds are perfectly legal. You can swap out the skill proficiency you don't want for one that you do. You can also change out the tool/language proficiences, as long as you have a total of 2 tool/language proficiencies.

Muladhara86

First Post
My priorities are nonlethal first, followed by utility. Druid seems to have utility for days with their fluid spell list, but Wildshape does not seem ideal for non-lethal (and it's up to the DM if it will even work or not).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Monk seems to be where its at for nonlethal. I'll be able to keep both hands free for grappling multiple foes, and I can use the increasing unarmed damage and extra attacks to bring my targets down to 0 HP more quickly, which is a melee attack and subject to nonlethal damage.

It seems that a big part of the bonus from Wildshape is the size difference it grants, which as a Goliath would not be as big of a plus. There are some great spells available to Druids, to be sure, but my primary goal here is to be the KO king.

zaratan

First Post
well, as Z. H. Darkstar point out, any melee attack can be non-lethal. Wild shape attacks will be non lethal if you want to. Druids have thorn whip, a melee attack cantrip too. But, besides a druid be the better grapple, he'll not be the best in non-lethal damage.

To a monk be a good grappler and a good monk, you need to bump Str, Dex, Con and Wis.

Would be better to choose be a grappler OR do lot of non-lethal damage.
If you want both, probably your best option will be a barbarian with a versatile weapon. A little of fighter can help to.

Muladhara86

First Post
Sorry for the necromancy, but I had to divert my attention to finals.

I really wanted the improved disarm and extra attacks from Fighter, and the movement/stunning/flurry of a Monk would be nice, but I think it would be fun to play a Forest Gnome Barbarian/Druid/Rogue. I figure that I could find a mines group for the early levels, then sign on with a campaign group.

Story-wise, the idea is to pretend not to be a gnome. The character has a lot of mystery to me. He believes he's a lone member of an ancient order to defend the balance/nature, apart from known Faerun factions (b/c I don't know jack about Faerun). He could be mad, which the idea of a gnome insistent that he's a Goliath is. Then again, he could see "divine inspiration" from people/places/things/events the campaign. I saw a background somewhere that allowed the player to lead a second life; could someone link that for me?

As a gnome, I think I'll be able to pick 2 feats on my way to 15. I want Alert, Mobile, and Mage Slayer. Thoughts?

I used the wayback machine to see the builds for the previous guide and seem content that this will provide a fun, useful experience.

Last edited:

the_move

First Post
Since the Leo DiCaprio's bear scene in The Revenant people should know that bears can grapple with their paws and jaws. Just show your DM...

If the ghostwise halflings (SCAG) qualify for AL, I would probably choose that race over humans when going moon druid.

Last edited:

Muladhara86

First Post
I still had a couple of questions:

I saw a background somewhere that allowed the player to lead a second life; could someone link that for me?

As a gnome, I think I'll be able to pick 2 feats on my way to 15. I want Alert, Mobile, and Mage Slayer. Thoughts?

GrumpyGamer

First Post
From the Sword Coast guide you may want to look at the Battlerager barbarian. This is a much more simplified path than druid and does not require a friendly DM to unlock its full potential.

Build Outline:
Start Mountain Dwarf for +2 Con, +2 Strength (With a 17 in Strength)
At level 3 select Path of the Battlerager and buy some Spiked Armor
* Use the Battlerager armor to take a bonus attack when grappling to do damage (Think Big Spiky Hug)

At level 4 take the Tavern Brawler Feat (+1 to Strength (18 Strength))
* You can now attack with improvised weapons (leg of chair/broken bottle/etc.) and grapple them with a bonus action in the same round.

At level 8 pick the Grappler Feat
* You have advantage on grapple checks.
* You can still use your bonus attack with the Battlerager armor to do damage while pinning them, otherwise pin takes your action.

You can switch the feats, taking Grappler at level 4 and Tavern Brawler switched depending on how much you like the Pin Condition (it is pretty awesome). Grappler has better synergy with Battlerager than Tavern Brawler.

Remove ads