• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Please Help with a Factotum/? Gestalt Build

Gray Lensman

Explorer
Quick backstory. A friend is coming home from deployment soon and wants to jump into our Gestalt Game (started at L3 and expect to only go up to L9 or so). She would like me to go ahead and get a character ready for her and she doesn't really care what kind.

Campaign is Basically Hack and Slash in increasing cooler, higher altitude forested hills and mountains.

Current Group is:
Half Orc Barbarian 3/Ranger 3
Human Favored Soul 3/Sorcerer 3
Elven Druid 3/Sorcerer 3

Rules are pretty much everything except Dragon Magazine and Unofficial Online Stuff.

We need a skill monkey. So, a Human Factotum / What?

Wouldn't mind increasing BAB, or SAVES or adding some divine casting. An extra archer wouldn't hurt as well. Will consider dipping but would prefer not to. Not aiming (none of us are) for PrC's either.

Oh, BTW, when she gets back and ready we should all be up to 4/4.

I have a week of my limited free time to figure this one out and I know a lot of you guys don't even reference books much anymore.

As Always IMNSHO and YMMV, Thanks, Dan

Gray Lensman

Explorer
[MENTION=98256]kitcik[/MENTION] Warblade, hmmm, does add good melee abilities but ... Barb/Rngr and Druid have that covered, would go Favored Soul for the saves but got one already.

Wizard no, not with 2 sorcerers. Although .... I'll have to look at this one.

She really doesn't care what I make for her as long as it's fun to play.

I first considered rogue or bard but kinda overkill on the skill monkey thing there. Although a ranged bard might be interesting.

I've never played around with much but the base classes (Core) and never been much for the spellcaster/skill monkey thing (I do the Melee/Archer types usually) and have not done any Gestalt until recently.

Been So busy in RL lately that, well, you know how it is :eek:

Thanks

Sekhmet

First Post
Factotum/Crusader - Skill Monkey Tank.
Factotum/Cleric - Skill Monkey Buffer.
Factotum/Bard - Skill Monkey Skill Monkey - actually a great combination.

emoplato

First Post
Quick backstory. A friend is coming home from deployment soon and wants to jump into our Gestalt Game (started at L3 and expect to only go up to L9 or so). She would like me to go ahead and get a character ready for her and she doesn't really care what kind.

Campaign is Basically Hack and Slash in increasing cooler, higher altitude forested hills and mountains.

Current Group is:
Half Orc Barbarian 3/Ranger 3
Human Favored Soul 3/Sorcerer 3
Elven Druid 3/Sorcerer 3

Rules are pretty much everything except Dragon Magazine and Unofficial Online Stuff.

We need a skill monkey. So, a Human Factotum / What?

Wouldn't mind increasing BAB, or SAVES or adding some divine casting. An extra archer wouldn't hurt as well. Will consider dipping but would prefer not to. Not aiming (none of us are) for PrC's either.

Oh, BTW, when she gets back and ready we should all be up to 4/4.

I have a week of my limited free time to figure this one out and I know a lot of you guys don't even reference books much anymore.

As Always IMNSHO and YMMV, Thanks, Dan
Um, I really don't think you need much of a skill monkey when you have a Ranger and as you said it is an outdoors, hack and slash adventure. Also Druids are good scouts in and of themselves as well. I think a full blown tank is far more appropriate. An Elan Crusader/Ardent would be all but impregnable being able to ignore hundreds of points of damage and other nasty effects. You can choose one of the other full psionic characters as well(Egoist or Wilder) but I happen to favor the Ardent due to its eclectic power selection system and the use of many mantles.
If you really are dead set on a Factotum, a Lurk could really up the offensive output with its augments.

Last edited:

kitcik

Adventurer
[MENTION=98256]kitcik[/MENTION] Warblade, hmmm, does add good melee abilities but ... Barb/Rngr and Druid have that covered, would go Favored Soul for the saves but got one already.

Wizard no, not with 2 sorcerers. Although .... I'll have to look at this one.

She really doesn't care what I make for her as long as it's fun to play.

I first considered rogue or bard but kinda overkill on the skill monkey thing there. Although a ranged bard might be interesting.

I've never played around with much but the base classes (Core) and never been much for the spellcaster/skill monkey thing (I do the Melee/Archer types usually) and have not done any Gestalt until recently.

Been So busy in RL lately that, well, you know how it is :eek:

Thanks

warblade has more to offer than you think - maneuverability, defense, messing with action economy - just take the right maneuvers

Gray Lensman

Explorer
Chatted with her on Dragonsfoot last night and she likes the idea of the SAD Factotum/Wizard combination. Also, She is willing to play something other than Human (a 1st for her).

So I need a Race to boost INT with no LA (DM won't allow races with LA as PCs) which is a crying shame as I would really like to use Doppleganger (may make up one for fun).

One other thing she said was to go with Still Spell as first Feat so she could wear Light Armor without Spell Failure.

EDIT: Looked through everything I have and only Sun Elf From Forgotten Realms Gets a +1 Int with no LA.

Last edited:

kitcik

Adventurer
Deep Imaskari (Und p 9) +2 Int, -2 Dex, lowlight vision, can re-prep one 1st lvl spell per day

Fire Elf (UA p 17) +2 Int, +2 Dex, -2 Con, -2 Cha, lots of abilities, but the -2 Con sucks hard.

Gray Elf (MM p 103) +2 Int, +2 Dex,-2 Str, -2 Con, lots of abilities, but the -2 Con sucks hard.

Gray Lensman

Explorer
[MENTION=98256]kitcik[/MENTION]: Thanks, will take one of the elves and maybe drop a stat or two to up CON. Rather take the + to DEX and Fix CON as possible.

Think I will kinda start a race compendium of my own after this, I went straight to the Races books and Campaign Guidebooks, didn't even consider going back to the basic books :eek::eek:.

kitcik

Adventurer
@kitcik : Thanks, will take one of the elves and maybe drop a stat or two to up CON. Rather take the + to DEX and Fix CON as possible.

Think I will kinda start a race compendium of my own after this, I went straight to the Races books and Campaign Guidebooks, didn't even consider going back to the basic books :eek::eek:.

I suggest you start with this.

Remove ads