• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Please Help with this build

aarduini

Explorer
So, I'm getting ready to play Tyranny of Dragons which goes to 15th Level. I'm trying to build a mystic warrior that was raised by the cult to be an elite soldier. His alignment did not coincide with the cult however, so he escaped and is now fighting them. He is intended to be High DPR who can switch to defense if needed. I want him to be able to cast and fight in the same round.

Requirements: Race Dragonborn (for flavor. I thought hard about human, but I think I'm going to stick with Dragonborn)
Weapon: Longsword (I couldn't find any dragonborn figures with greatswords :.-(). I always use painted figures for my characters that I paint myself. Its part of the fun.

Assumptions: The build assumes that Cantrips and Invocations are based on Character Level not class level.

Class Choices (I had a hard time with these, so input is welcome)
Why Paladin instead of Fighter - Healing, Divine Smite and the combination of Heroism and Heavy Armor master if I need to go defense
Why Warlock - Devil Sight, Eldritch Blast, Lifedrinker, spell slots to burn for sorcerer points and more spells

Starting Ability Scores - Str 17, Dex 8, Con 15, Int 8, Wis 8, Cha 16
Final Ability Scores - - Str 18, Dex 8, Con 16, Int 8, Wis 8, Cha 16
SP = Sorcerer Points

Level/ HP/SP Class Features/Feats Spells Known
1/12 Paladin Divine Sense, LoH
2/20 Paladin Spellcasting, Divine Smite, Duelist P – Cure Wounds, Heroism, Shield of Faith, Searing Smite
3/27 Paladin 2/Warlock 1 Dark One’s Blessing, Pact Magic Cantrip – Blade Ward, Eldritch Blast
W – Hex, Arms of Hadar
4/34 Paladin 2/Warlock 2 Invocation - Agonizing Blast, Devil Site W - Burning Hands
5/41 Paladin 2/Warlock 3 Pact Blade, Replace Agonizing Blast with Thirsting Blade W – Scorching Ray, Replace Arms of Hadar w/Mirror Image
6/48 Paladin 2/Warlock 4 Feat (Heavy Armor Master) W – Misty Step
7/55 Paladin 2/Warlock 4/Sorcerer 1 Draconic Origin (Fire) Cantrip – Firebolt, Shocking Grasp, Ray of Frost, Acid Splash
S – Shield, Magic Missile
8/62/2 Paladin 2/Warlock 4/Sorcerer 2 Font of Magic S – Jump
9/68/3 Paladin 2/Warlock 4/Sorcerer 3 Metamagic – Twin Spell, Quicken Spell S – Blur
10/85/4 Paladin 2/Warlock 4/Sorcerer 4 Feat (Resilience – Con) S – Enlarge
11/92/5
Paladin 2/Warlock 4/Sorcerer 5
S – Fireball, Replace Jump w/Haste
12/99/4 Paladin 2/Warlock 5/Sorcerer 5 Invocation - Lifedrinker W – Fear, Replace Arms of Hadar w/Counterspell
13/106/6
Paladin 2/Warlock 5/Sorcerer 6 Elemental Affinity (Fire) S – Fly
14/113/7
Paladin 2/Warlock 5/Sorcerer 7
S – Wall of Fire
15/120/8
Paladin 2/Warlock 5/Sorcerer 8 Elemental Adept (Fire) S – Dimension Door

Last edited:

Boarstorm

First Post
What color dragonborn are you choosing? I ask due to the racial bonus and the bonus from sorcerer not stacking if they end up granting the same resistance.

Evenglare

Adventurer
How can you possibly know how you character will act and what paths he will take before actually experiencing the story? Just going for mechanical benefits?

aarduini

Explorer
Well, the paladin and Warlock were from his upbringing. He was trained to be a holy knight of Tiamat and was forced into a pact with one of her fiends. The sorcerer part is from his bloodline. The gold dragon bloodline would be what was responsible for the good tendencies he has.

Last edited:

Remove ads