Please post your variant non-casting rangers and bards

lobo

First Post
Wilderness warrior

The below class is a non spell casting Ranger. Some charaters are very good woodsman but certainly have no spell casting ability. The below class solves this problem. A multiclassed character could certainly do many things along the same lines but the class below allows for a better wilderness flavor.

Wilderness Warrior:

Alignment: Any.
Hit Die: As PHB Ranger
Class Skills: As PHB Ranger including bluff and sense motive
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: AS PHB Ranger
Saves: As PHB Ranger
BAB: As PHB Ranger
Special Enemy Table: As PHB with the ability to switch-out favored enemy bonuses

Level Special
----- ------------
1 Track, 1st favored enemy, survival
2 bonus feat
4 bonus combat feat
5 2nd favored enemy
7 bonus feat
10 3rd favored enemy, bonus combat feat
13 bonus feat
15 4th favored enemy
16 bonus combat feat
19 bonus feat
20 5th favored enemy

Track: A Wilderness Warrior gains Track as a bonus feat.

Survivor: A Wilderness Warrior gains a bonus of +2 initiative +2 Wilderness lore.

Favored Enemy: As PHB Ranger with exception to the added switch-out ability. The favored enemy switch-out ability allows the Wilderness Warrior to trade different levels of special enemy bonuses. For example a 15th level Ranger could switch his first favored enemy bonus to a new selection upon obtaining level 15.

Bonus Feats: A Wilderness Warrior gains a bonus feat at levels: (2, 7, 13, 19). These bonus feats must be drawn from the following list: Alertness, Animal Affinity, Endurance, Extra Favored Enemy, Favored Enemy Critical, Favored Enemy Strike, Forester, Great Fortitude, Horsemanship, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Run, Sharp Eyed, Skill Focus, Stealthy, and Supernatural Blow.

Bonus Combat Feats: Same as Fighter bonus feats in the PHB, these feats are gained at levels: (4, 10, 16).

A Wilderness Warrior must still meet all prerequisites for a feat, including ability score and base attack bonus minimums.

* Wilderness Warrior Bonus Feat Clarifications:

Alertness (+2 Listen +2 Spot),
Animal Affinity (+2 Animal Empathy +2 Animal Handling),
Forester (+2 Wilderness Lore, +2 knowledge Nature),
Horsemanship (+2 Handle Animal + 2 Ride)
Sharp Eyed (+2 Search +2 Spot),
Stealthy (+2 Move Silently +2 Hide)

Skill Focus: the Wilderness Warrior may receive a +3 competence bonus to any Wilderness Warrior class skill.

Wolf72

Explorer
here's another ...

http://home.earthlink.net/~fjeastman/alt/altranger.html (this one of the very early ones)

my simple changes:

Skill Focus [change in feat abilities]
 You get a +3 to a single skill (instead of +2)

Expert
 Bonus Feat: Skill Focus at lvls 4, 8, 12, 16, 20 (must be from expert skill list)

Rangers
 May swap ambidexterity and two-weapon fighting for another pair of feats (DM approval).
 Point blank shot & [far shot, precise shot, rapid shot] ... Mounted Combat [req 1+ ranks in ride] & [mounted archery, trample, ride-by attack] ... 2 skill focus [see skills above] from ranger skill list (include: sense motive, bluff) ... alertness & improved init ... run & endurance ... dodge & mobility ... skill focus & blind-fighting ... quick draw & combat reflexes (need + dex modifier) ... skill focus & [one other feat] ... Leadership (at 6th lvl) & one other feat at first ..

uv23

First Post
So now that rangers have been well represented, lets hear what people have done with the bard - probably the least used class of all time.

Hmm. Is my Thread "Spells, Feat Variations" still online? I presented the Bard`s Songbook there. (Yes, it is: http://www.enworld.org/messageboards/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7092)

Basically, it allows a bard to use a songbook, which would work identically to a wizards spell book. He can cast spells spontaneously using the standard bard rules, or prepare a bard spells from the book for his spell slots. He must research the spell like a wizard does, and he does not gain free spells in the book.

This songbook can be introduced in several ways - a standard class ability, one of several alternative options, a feat chain (Scribe Scroll -> Arcane Preparation -> Bard`s Songbook ?) or whatever is desired. Even Rule Tweaks might be wanted - so that you need an Intelligence Score for beeing able to prepare spells from the book (10+INT) and so on...

Another common house rule is adding 2 Skill Points per Level (total 6+INT per level) and/or to add 1 free perform rank per level. (You have to spend that rank anyway, don`t you?)

If you don`t want spells, don`t modify the bard, modify the rogue.
Take away some of the rogues abilities, and add Bardic Music / Knowledge and missing Class Skills (Knowledge)
I would half the sneak attack damage progression (1d6 at 1st level, 1 extra d6 beginning at 4th level and every 4 levels there after?) and take away the Variable Special Abilities beginning at 10th level. Maybe some further looks will be needed...

Mustrum Ridcully

Last edited:

Erekose

Eternal Champion
Sorry . . . can't resist posting this . . .

A ranger based on the "archer ranger" concept.

Alignment: Any.

Hit Die: as PHB.

Class Skills: as PHB.

Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) x 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier

Weapon and Armour Proficiency: A ranger is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, light armour, medium armour, and shields.

Archery Feats: At 1st level, the ranger gets a bonus archery feat. The ranger also gains an additional archery feat at 4th level and for every 4 ranger levels after 4th (8th, 12th, 16th and 20th). These bonus feats must be drawn from the following list: Close Combat Shot, Far Shot, Mounted Archery, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Rapid Shot, Sharp-Shooting, Shot on the Run, Zen Archery.

Some of the archery feats available to a ranger cannot be acquired until the ranger has gained one or more prerequisite feats. A ranger must meet all prerequisites including ability score and base attack bonus minimums.

NEW FEAT: Close Combat Shot [General] You are skilled at using ranged attacks in melee combat. Prerequisites: Base attack bonus +8, Dex 13+, Dodge, Mobility, Point Blank Shot, Shot on the Run.

Benefit: You can attack with a ranged weapon in a threatened area and not provoke an attack of opportunity. Normal: Attacking with a ranged weapon in melee combat provokes an attack of opportunity.)

Track: At 1st level a ranger gains Track as a bonus feat.

Favoured Enemy: as PHB.

Skill Focus: At 6th level a ranger gains the Skill Focus feat in Wilderness Lore as a bonus feat.

Improved Track: At 10th level a ranger becomes able to track characters even if they use magical means to obscure their passage (such as the Pass without Trace spell, etc.).

Rain of Arrows: In lieu of her regular attacks, once per day a 14th level ranger can fire an arrow at each and every target within range, to a maximum of one target for every two ranger level she has earned. Each attack uses the ranger’s primary attack bonus, and each enemy may only be targeted by a single arrow. This is an extraordinary ability.

Banked Shot: This extraordinary ability allows an 18th level ranger to fire an arrow at a target within 20 feet of a wall (but not adjacent to the wall) and treat the target as if flat-footed for purposes of AC and damage inflicted. This is a full-round action.

Table: The Ranger

BAB/FORT SAVE/REF SAVE/WILL SAVE - AS PHB.

Level Special

1 Bonus archery feat, Track feat, 1st favoured enemy
4 Bonus archery feat
5 2nd favoured enemy
6 Skill Focus feat (Wilderness Lore)
8 Bonus archery feat
10 Improved track, 3rd favoured enemy
12 Bonus archery feat
14 Rain of arrows
15 4th favoured enemy
16 Bonus archery feat
18 Banked shot
20 Bonus archery feat, 5th favoured enemy

Kusuf ibn Zaid

First Post
uv23 said:

I have looked over the scout a few times now and I really like it. The scout feats are well done - a ranger version of fighter feats that spreads his power out rather than front loading as other people have mentioned. I think the only change I'd make to this class is on damage bonuses to favored enemies. For each level of favored enemy, I'd make the damage bonus 1d6 rather than a measly 1 point. Excellent, thanks. :)

Your welcome.

I too had considered modifying the favored enemy bonuses. However, after further consideration about the ideosyncracies of my own campaign, I opted not too. My Five Sultanates campaign is human dominated with a handful of cultural subtypes. I allow characters to select cultural subtypes as favored enemies. This coupled with the fact that the PCs (at all levels) are largely opposed by other humans, means that favored enemy bonuses are gained rather often. However, I agree that in a campaign with a more diverse mix of opponents, favored enemy bonused are gained rather infrequently, and the ability might need to be boosted to actually make it useful.

- Kusuf

uv23

First Post
This is how my alt.ranger has shaped up. Note differences with favored enemy. I didn't carry over the uncanny dodge from the scout.

Hit Die: d10.

CLASS SKILLS

The ranger’s class skills (and key abilities for each skill) are [not yet finalized but similar in most respects to PHB]

Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) × 4
Skill Points at each other Level: 4 + Int modifier.

CLASS FEATURES
All of the following are class features of the ranger:

Weapons and Armor Proficiency: A ranger is proficient with all simple and martial weapons (with the exclusion of large-sized martial melee weapons) and light armor.

Track: A ranger gains Track as a bonus feat.

Fast Track: At 3rd level the ranger is able to move at ¾ his normal speed while tracking without receiving the standard penalty for moving faster than ½ speed while tracking. At 9th level, the ranger is able to move at his full movement rate while tracking without penalty.

Favored Enemy: At 1st level, a ranger may select a type of creature as a favored enemy with no restrictions to that type. Due to his extensive study of his foes and training in the proper techniques for combating them, the ranger gains a +1 bonus to Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot and Wilderness Lore checks when using these skills against this type of creature. For each point of bonus, he likewise inflicts 1d6 bonus damage against these enemies in combat. A ranger also gets the damage bonus with ranged weapons but only against targets within 30 feet. The bonus does not apply to damage against creatures that are immune to critical hits. However, if such a creature is selected as a favored enemy, the Ranger receives their favored enemy bonus as a saving throw bonus versus their special abilities and attacks.

At 5th level and at every five levels thereafter (10th, 15th, and 20th level) the ranger may select a new favored enemy, and the bonus associated with every previously selected favored enemy goes up by +1. For example, a 15th level ranger will have four favored enemies, with bonus of +4, +3, +2, and +1.

Favored enemies can be drawn from the following list: [to be determined, based on my campaign setting]

Ranger Feats: At 1st level, the ranger gets a bonus feat in addition to the feat that any 1st-level character gets and the bonus feat granted to humans. The ranger gains an additional bonus feat at 3rd level and every three levels thereafter (6th, 9th, 12th, 15th, 18th.) These bonus feats must be drawn from the following list (racial prerequisites stand): Alertness, Ambidexterity, Dodge (Mobility), Endurance, Great Fortitude, Improved Initiative, Iron Fortitude, Lightning Reflexes, Mounted Combat (Mounted Archery, Ride-by-Attack), Point Blank Shot (Far Shot, Precise Shot, Rapid Shot, Shot on the Run), Run, Skill Focus in any Ranger class skill, Toughness, and Two-Weapon Fighting (Improved Two-Weapon Fighting).

These bonus feats are in addition to the feat that a character of any class gets every three levels. The ranger is not limited to this list when choosing those feats.

Level BAB FortSave RefSave WilSave Special
1 +1 +2 +2 +0 Track, 1st favored enemy, Ranger feat
2 +2 +3 +3 +0
3 +3 +3 +3 +1 Fast Track (3/4 speed), Ranger feat
4 +4 +4 +4 +1
5 +5 +4 +4 +1 2nd favored enemy
6 +6/+1 +5 +5 +2 Ranger feat
7 +7/+2 +5 +5 +2
8 +8/+3 +6 +6 +2
9 +9/+4 +6 +6 +3 Fast Track (full speed), Ranger feat
10 +10/+5 +7 +7 +3 3rd favored enemy
11 +11/+6/+1 +7 +7 +3
12 +12/+7/+2 +8 +8 +4 Ranger feat
13 +13/+8/+3 +8 +8 +4
14 +14/+9/+4 +9 +9 +4
15 +15/+10/+5 +9 +9 +5 4th favored enemy, Ranger feat
16 +16/+11/+6/+1 +10 +10 +5
17 +17/+12/+7/+2 +10 +10 +5
18 +18/+13/+8/+3 +11 +11 +6 Ranger feat
19 +19/+14/+9/+4 +11 +11 +6
20 +20/+15/+10/+5 +12 +12 +6 5th favored enemy

edit: I may reposition the feats to fill the gaps in advancement bonuses so that you don't go two levels with no class-specific bonus.

Last edited:

Remove ads