Please post your variant non-casting rangers and bards

Caliber

Explorer
Not really a full Ranger, but instead a suggestion on Favored Enemy.

While I too think the Favored Enemy ability is too little, I think +1d6 is too much.

Instead I let Rangers in my campaigns receive 1 Favored Enemy point every odd level. The points stack, and at 20th, the Ranger gets a free point in all categories he already possesses.

The categories and affects remain the same.

This method allows for a Ranger to alter his Favored Enemies to fit what he is fightning, not to mention allowing him to REALLY hate one enemy if he wishes too.

As example, a 5th level Ranger would have 3 Favored Enemy points. He could have a +3 against one enemy or +1 against three enemies or ...

Well I am sure you get it. Hope my idea helps.

uv23

First Post
I like the idea. But I still don't think the damage bonus is enough. If you consider how powerful his enemies will be at 20th level, +5 to damage won't do much of anything. By that time, he sould have become so skilled and focused with that beastie that he truly becomes its worst nightmare.

Kusuf ibn Zaid

First Post
You might also consider one very common house rule. (Perhaps you already have). The PHB ranger may apply his favored enemy bonus to Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, and Wilderness Lore checks. However, Bluff and Sense Motive are not class skills for rangers. Many DM have augmented the ranger class skill list by these two skills.

- Kusuf

mmadsen

First Post
So now that rangers have been well represented, lets hear what people have done with the bard - probably the least used class of all time.

I consider the Bard a variant Rogue (with the Bard skill list) with a prestige class that's a variant Sorcerer (with the Bard spell list, naturally). I don't like the idea of a musician with four ranks in Perform being good enough to magically charm people with his mediocre music.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
My variant Bard:

Poets

These are a more limited subclass of bards. The normal bardic class is limited to Elves (and it is the only class that they may take IMC). They have all the bardic abilities with the following exceptions:

Restrictions: no spells.

Benefits: They have a base of 8 skill points per level.

The Poet is common in the Sword Coast region, and is very occasionally a native of the Southlands nations. They use their poetry and wit to inspire comerades or bemuse foes (i.e. their use of the perform skill)

Plane Sailing

My major Ranger revision:

Rangers
Hardy individuals, used to scouting alone in the wilderness. They use all the rules for the barbarian class except as follows:

No Rage: The Ranger does not get the ability to rage (unless purchased as a feat any you have a barbarian background).

No Spells: The Ranger has no spell ability.

No two weapon fighting.

Favoured Enemy: At 1st level a ranger gets one point in Favoured Enemy. You must spend this initial point of Favoured Enemy on a creature type from Table 3-14 (p. 45 Player's Hand Book). At every odd level he gains another point in Favoured Enemy. Each time a ranger gains points of Favoured Enemy he may then allot his points of Favoured Enemy among the creatures on his list of Enemies from Table 3-14 as he sees fit, either increasing an existing score or starting a new one at +1. There is a maximum bonus of +5 for any one favoured prey. If he reaches 20th level, all of his favoured enemies gain an additional +1. Favoured enemy is used both to hit and to damage.

Favoured enemy is considered a morale bonus to damage, and as such it works against all targets, whether undead, constructs or anything else.

Skills: The Ranger list of skills is used.

Other Abilities: The Ranger gets d12 HD, fast movement, uncanny dodge and damage resistance along the same schedule as the PHB barbarian class.

Rangers are primarily found in the Borderlands and in the various barbarian nations. (in my campaign Barbarians are not a class, they are people groups with access to Rage and Improved Rage feats. In the barbarian tribes you will find rangers, fighters, rogues and shamen (druids))

Last edited:

Plane Sailing

My minor ranger revision:

Tillan Rangers

The Tillan Rangers are an elite force who patrol the Dragondell and the borders of Tillan. They are the same as the PHB ranger class with the following amendments:

Spell lists: Add Goodberry and Shillelagh to the 1st level spells, Cure Moderate Wounds to the third level spells and Foebane to the 4th level spells (a new ranger-only spell which gives the casters weapon the "bane" property against one of his favoured enemies - chosen at casting time).

Favoured Enemy: At 1st level a ranger gets one point in Favoured Enemy. You must spend this initial point of Favoured Enemy on a creature type from Table 3-14 (p. 45 Player's Hand Book). At every odd level he gains another point in Favoured Enemy. Each time a ranger gains points of Favoured Enemy he may then allot his points of Favoured Enemy among the creatures on his list of Enemies from Table 3-14 as he sees fit, either increasing an existing score or starting a new one at +1. There is a maximum bonus of +5 for any one favoured prey. If he reaches 20th level, all of his favoured enemies gain an additional +1. Favoured enemy is used both to hit and to damage.

Favoured enemy is considered a morale bonus to damage, and as such it works against all targets, whether undead, constructs or anything else.

As the name suggests, the Tillan Rangers are found in the nation of Tillan.

uv23

First Post
Re: bards. I wonder if replacing arbitrary spell casting with a much larger selection of level'd music-focused abiltiies would work.

Forrester

First Post
I've been playing around with my own version of "Scout" -- someone who has a rogue BAB, but makes up for it in other bennies. While I've called it the "Scout", it works well for woodsmen, sentries, guards, scouts, and any class dependent on being alert for long periods of time.

Let me know what you think.
----------------------------------------
What class is the goblin that knows how to work the Heavy Ballista, as he guards against incoming adventurers? Not a fighter - this guy has to know how to spot and listen. Not a ranger - these amateur guards hardly will have the training to track, have two-weapon fighting, ambidexterity, and so on. I suppose he could be a rogue, but I can't see him tumbling all over the place, or learning how to use magical devices, or even necessarily picking locks. And if he’s got 8 skill points/level, he probably will be dumping points into some of those. And Evasion? Sneak attack? I don't see slightly experienced guards of this nature learning those abilities.

What class is the elf that patrols the forest, searching for goblin intruders? Not a fighter - again, where's the spot and listen? Not a ranger - two weapon fighting? Doubtful. Tracking? Kind of unbalancing to have a horde of 1st level elves, all with tracking, looking for the PCs. (Assuming you're running a campaign where elves are the bad guys, of course.) And while some alt.rangers allow replacement of the two-weapon fighting virtual feats with two archery feats, this top-loads the class even MORE. It's arguable that two-weapon fighting is subpar - but starting with point-blank shot and rapid shot (or precise shot, or whatever) is *never* a bad thing!

What class is the woodsman? Huh? Huh??!!

Easy answer: They're fighter/rogues. But that's just so choppy! 8 skill points, then 2 skill points, then 8 skill points. And none of these guys need to learn to use heavy armor. None of them are necessarily so naturally dexterous that they can eventually dodge Fireballs. And if their favored class isn't rogue or fighter, they will be quite restricted in how they can progress in both classes.

Better answer: They are, for the lack of a better name, Scouts.
------------------------------------------------------

Alignment: Any.

Hit Die: d8.

Good Saves: Fort & Reflex

BAB: As ROGUE (very important difference – most alt.rangers progress as fighters).

Class Skills: Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Disable Device (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Hide (Dex), Intuit Direction (Wis), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Nature)(Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Ride (Dex), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Use Rope (Dex), and Wilderness Lore (Wis).

Skill Points at First Level: (4 + Int. modifier) x 4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int. modifier.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Scouts are proficient with all simple weapons, bows, and either short swords or longswords. They are proficient with light and medium armor, and shields.

Bonus Feat list: Alertness, Dodge, Mobility, Endurance, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Heavy Ballista), Improved Unarmed Strike, Mounted Combat, Mounted Archery, Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot, Precise Shot, Shot on the Run, Quick Draw, Run, Skill Focus, Track, Weapon Focus

Feat/Special Ability Progression I:

1st level: Bonus Feat, *Heightened Alertness* (Additional +1 to Spot, Listen)
2nd level: Bonus Feat
3rd level: Uncanny Dodge (no dex loss when flat-footed)
4th level: Scout Endurance I
5th level: Skill Mastery (one skill per point of Int bonus)
6th level: Bonus Feat
7th level: *Heightened Alertness*
8th level: Uncanny Dodge (cannot be flanked)
9th level: Skill Focus
10th level: Bonus Feat
11th level: *Heightened Alertness*
12th level: Scout Endurance II
13th level: Skill Mastery (one skill per point of Int bonus)
14th level: Bonus Feat
15th level: *Heightened Alertness*
16th level:
17th level: Skill Focus
18th level: Bonus Feat
19th level: *Heightened Alertness*
20th level: Scout Endurance III

Feat/Special Ability Progression II:

1st level: Bonus Feat, *Heightened Alertness*
2nd level: Uncanny Dodge (no dex loss when flat-footed), Scout Endurance I
3rd level: “Fast on his Feet” (+2 to initiative)
4th level: *Heightened Alertness*
5th level: Skill Mastery (one skill per point of Int bonus) OR Bonus Feat?
6th level: Uncanny Dodge (cannot be flanked)
7th level: Bonus Feat, *Heightened Alertness*
8th level: Scout Endurance II
9th level: “Fast on his Feet” (+2 to Initiative)
10th level: *Heightened Alertness*
11th level: Skill Mastery (one skill per point of Int bonus) OR Bonus Feat?
12th level:
13th level: Bonus Feat, *Heightened Alertness*
14th level: Scout Endurance III
15th level: “Fast on his Feet” (+2 to initiative)
16th level: *Heightened Alertness*
17th level: Skill Mastery (one skill per point of Int bonus) OR Bonus Feat?
18th level:
19th level: Bonus Feat, *Heightened Alertness*
20th level: Uber-Endurance

”Heightened Alertness” gives a +1 bonus to Spot and Listen checks, and stacks with the bonus from the Alertness feat.

Scout Endurance I: The scout gains abilities equivalent given to those from the “Endurance” feat.

Scout Endurance II: The scout gains abilities equivalent to those from the “Endurance” feat, and these stack with those from Scout Endurance I. In addition, the Scout only needs six hours of sleep/rest each day. (The Scout still needs eight hours of sleep/rest in order to prepare spells.) In addition, the Scout may Hustle for up to four hours a day before taking subdual damage.

Scout Endurance III: The scout gains abilities equivalent to those from the “Endurance” feat, and these stack with those from Scout Endurance I and II. In addition, the Scout only needs four hours of sleep/rest each day. (The Scout still needs eight hours of sleep/rest in order to prepare spells.) In addition, the Scout may Hustle for up to eight hours a day before taking subdual damage.

Uber-Endurance: The scout needs only two hours of rest a night, may hustle for up to twelve hours a day, and need not ever make “forced march” constitution checks.

Well, I might post my Rogue based Bard, and perhaps some new Music Abilities. But not now. :)

For new Music Abilities, I would just look at the virtuoso, change the abilities a bit, and than allow it to be used by the bard. (As a "core" ability or a feat)

Mustrum Ridcully

Remove ads