• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Please rate Reach Spell

Rate Reach Spell

• 1 - You should never take this feat

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2- Not very useful

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • 3- of limited use

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • 4- below average

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • 5- Average

Votes: 14 25.0%
  • 6- above average

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • 7- above average and cool

Votes: 10 17.9%
  • 8- good

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • 9- Very good

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • 10- Everyone should take this feat

Votes: 5 8.9%

smetzger

Explorer
Reach Spell [Metamagic]
You can cast touch spells without touching the spell recipient.
Benefit: You may cast a spell that normally has a range of "touch" at any distance up to 30 feet. The spell effectively becomes a ray, so you must succeed at a ranged touch attack to bestow the spell upon the recipient. A reach spell uses up a spell slot two levels higher than the spell's actual level.
DoF p.20

Last edited:

officeronin

First Post
Cast a spectral hand...

Wizards with craft wonderous should create two items -- a headband of intellect for themselves, and (after talking to the DM) a glove of spectral hand for the cleric (for ranged stabilizations). Everything else is gravy.

I've never gamed with a DM who didn't allow me to create some incarnation of a spectral hand item -- it's not even all that powerful. 'Course, apply the same logic that WotC applies to Haste and Quicken...

Burn 2 spell levels for it? Nah. Not even if the above is not allowed.

IMO, at least.

OfficeRonin

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
This is a reasonable feat. Since clerics can cast cure/inflicts spontaneously, they can use this feat to heal or harm people they'd otherwise be unable to reach. In a game without nonstandard items, that's a very good thing.

It's also good for preparing a few spells. Reach Harm is even more broken than the non-ranged variety.

Surefoot

First Post
Since clerics cast healing spells 'spontaneously', they should be able to apply a metamagic feat (such as Reach Spell) on the fly just like the sorcerer when casting cure spells.

melkoriii

First Post
I find the feat a total waste. Cast a lvl 3 spell for 1d8+lvl heal at 30’? The only spell this breaks is Harm but then that’s a 8th lvl slot for it and you can do better then that for a 8th lvl spell.

This feat mimics the Spectral Hand spell that is a lvl 2 spell but the spell has way more range and other powers (+2 to hit, Can Flank, etc). If Reach Spells was a +1 spell lvl I would think about taking it. Still not always take it but I would consider it.

smetzger

Explorer
6.06 after 32 votes

------------------------------
10. None

9. None

8. Large and in Charge

7. Expert Tactician, Divine Might

6. Superior Expertise, Improved Sunder, Knock-Down, Shield Expert, Divine Shield, Improved Shield Bash(6.38,50,40174)

5. Close Quarters Fighting, Hold The Line, Pain Touch

4. Blindsight 5-foot radius, Fists of Iron, Death Blow, Lightning Fists, Mantis Leap, Monkey Grip, Power Lunge, Rapid Reload, Sharp Shooting, Zen Archery, Empower Turning(4.18,56,38151), Divine Vigor(4.61,57,37849)

3. Feign Weakness, Extra Stunning Attacks, Dual Strike, Circle Kick, Eyes in the Back of Your Head, Off-Hand Parry, Pin Shield, Prone Attack, Remain Conscious, Divine Cleansing, Divine Vengeance, Heighten Turning(3.95,41,39213), Quicken Turning(3.47, 36, 41330)

2. Eagle Claw Attack, Improved Overrun, Dirty Fighting, Snatch Arrows

1. Divine Resisitance

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
So let me see, we've got two people posting that the feat is "potentially useful" but five votes of 10. I think someone is messing with the poll.

Nobody who's been willing to post has said anything that would justify even rating this feat a 6.

Archer

First Post
As far as metamagic feats go, this one is probably below average or just average. Its sometimes useful in the way that a stilled, silent spell is useful. Empower, extend and persistent are much more universallly useful.

People rating it highly are exclusively thinking of ranged harm and being able to deal instant death without having to get into touch range which is really a rating of harm and not the feat.

There are other ways to get this feat's effects without having to waste a feat slot and +2 level spell modifier. If this feat was applied to all your touch spells like eschew materials at no level modifier then it might be worth an average rating of 6.

Ukyo the undead

First Post
IMO, the best use of this feat is save allies' lifes.

Frequently i see a situation when a pc is about to die(-9), and the cleric are too far away to cure him.

Or when the cleric are not only far, but have a lot of enemies between him and his target, what would make him suffer a lot of AoOs if he tried to reach him.

Since the cure spells are spontaneous, the cleric could, in a
emergency, brn an higher level slot to save someone´s life.

Another use is attack someone with some good spells like poison(attack Wiz, Sorc, Bards or Rogues) or bestow curse( fighter types or Rogues). without really entering in melee.

Remove ads