• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Please read: ENW policy regarding molestation, rape, and other such discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Up until now, we've never needed guidelines about this. In the recent event a discussion about in-game rape occurred under very congenial "I abhor this in real life but it occurs in my game world" discussion, and it very understandably made a lot of people furious. That's a problem in part because the moderators, quite correctly following our rules, moderated the people who lost their temper and not the polite person who brought up the subject regarding his game. 'Cause hey, using babies as human shields is truly repugnant too, but a thread where bad guys in a game do this won't even raise an eyebrow; shouldn't a discussion of in-game rape be treated the same way?

We've decided, quite correctly, not a friggin' chance.

Baby-shields don't require a trigger warning. One in five people aren't subject to baby-shields during their college years. And while we've been moderating according to our guidelines, in the case of discussion surrounding sexual assault the moderators and administrators here agree that our guidelines are flat-out wrong.

So we apologize, and here's the deal. Like racism or adult topics, this isn't the place to discuss your campaign's variants of rape or molestation. We don't care, we don't want to hear it, and we won't put up with it. We will moderate accordingly. Folks, please report it if you run across it.

Questions?

Last edited:

Killer GM

First Post
So does this mean that the people who were saying things like "I hope you get raped" to the people who were offended by the original topic will be banned?

And if not, why not?

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
As always, we don't discuss moderation with anyone other than the person being moderated. We'll be cleaning up this mess over the next few days, and will look at folks on a case-by-case basis -- probably as you'd expect. If you're hoping for a public pillory for people being asshats, though, be aware that problems will be resolved privately.

whiteheadw

First Post
Thank you for the clarification

Just wanted to pile on the kudos. I think the subject under discussion is not fun and therefore doesn't is not a part of my game.

Thanks!
WTW

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
The solution is not secrecy, but transparency.
Good point. I quote this before I spam-ban Squidster to thank him for a really nicely written post that unfortunately came from the SomethingAwful guys trying to get a rise out of ENW. We're not a big fan of cross-board drama or board invasions, of course. That's always been the case.

This post aside, moderation happens privately.

Last edited:

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
I won't comment on specific moderation. I will however give a well-deserved compliment to our Moderation Staff. The moderation process here at ENWorld works, and works well - but not only because of the process, but also the people involved with it.

I think this is an excellent policy change.

Thank You, Moderators.

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
Good call. All the dogpiling was painful to watch, but I'm really glad you've managed to hash it out and clarify the policy.

Thanks to all of you!

Artur Hawkwing

First Post
Just thought I'd throw this in for all of those involved. Great policy.

Attachments

• Kudos.gif
    Kudos.gif
    32.7 KB · Views: 637

Dice4Hire

First Post
I also agree. I think Enworld has gotten a tad nastier in topics since a couple years ago. , so this is a good change.

Now if posters could lower their cursing a bit it would be even better. That has been on the upswing for a while also. Sure it is not blatant, but wink wink nudge nudge level, but it is stil not necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads