• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Plz! Help me build my new character

Guilberwood

First Post
Hi

I have an idea for my new character. It’s going to be a fighter type, and he’ll use a rapier (two weapon fighting is an option).

The goal of this character is to test if it’s possible to make a decent rapier wielding fighter.

Can you guys help me?
1- Race is probably human
2- He’s going to be 10th level, and I can multiclass with rogue/swashbuckler/ or any prestige class to make it more effective
Status is not a problem, since I’m pretty sure I’ll have good ones.

Any ideas, suggestion, hints or tips?

Thanks a lot

PS: 3.5 WOTC material only L

Guilberwood

Festivus

First Post
If it was me I would probably sit down and watch some of those old piratey movies with Errol Flynn in them and then think about what personality traits I was going to put to the character. Would he be like Zorro and leave a mark upon his victim's tabbards or more like Douglas Fairbanks in "The Black Pirate", an aristocrat pushed to the edge? You said dual rapiers which makes me think of pirates right away, what a fun idea for a character.

As for how to build him, no idea, I don't build characters that way. :)

Vargo

First Post
If you want to completely disgust your compatriots, do a Swashbuckler/Fighter/Duellist PRC/Dervish PRC. I'll leave the exact combination as an exercise.

FalcWP

Explorer
Here's a basic way to do it, with a few thoughts on varying it based on class levels, or if you want to fight with two weapons. I'm using the elite array, the PHB, the DMG and Complete Warrior, btw (since those are what happen to be on my desk at the moment). I'm also presenting a bit more of a swashbucklery view than a pure power build - obviously, swap Charisma and Constitution if its more of a dungeon crawl.

10th level Human Fighter

Str: 14 (13, +1 at level 8)
Dex: 16 (15, +1 at level 4) [18 with Gloves of Dexterity +2]
Con: 8
Int: 14
Wis: 10
Cha: 12

Level 1: Weapon Finesse
Fighter 1: Weapon Focus (Rapier)
Human Bonus Feat: Combat Expertise
Fighter 2: Improved Disarm
Level 3: Improved Toughness (Complete Warrior)
Fighter 4: Weapon Specialization (Rapier)
Level 6: Dodge
Fighter 6: Mobility
Fighter 8: Improved Critical (Rapier)
Level 9: Iron Will
Fighter 10: Combat Reflexes

Equipment (49,000 gp): +1 Light Fortification Mithral Shirt, +1 Wounding Rapier, Ring of Protection +1, Amulet of Natural Armor +2, Gloves of Dexterity +2, Boots of Striding and Springing, Cloak of Resistance +2, +1 Mithral Shield, 60 gold.

AC: 25 (10 + 4 Dexterity + 5 Armor + 3 Shield + 2 Natural Armor + 1 Deflection)
HP: 50.5 on average
Saves: Fort +8, Ref +9, Will +7
Full Attack: +16/+11 (1d6+5/15-20, +1 wounding rapier)

Skills: As a human, you would get 5 skill points per level. I'd probably recommend a steady diet of movement-based skills; Jump, Climb, Tumble, Swim, etc. If you want to play up the Swashbuckler aspect (and especially if you take levels of Swashbuckler or Rogue), Bluff, Intimidate, and Diplomacy are good as well. Obviously, take a level of rogue or swashbuckler at level one, if you take any at all, to increase your skill points.

Overall, you could be a lot more powerful; you'll be hit a decent number of times, and you don't have the best hit points. You also do fairly mediocre damage. Some of the things below could help with the AC and the damage output, and may be worth looking into.

Variants:

-Swashbuckler levels will add a few more skills, a small bonus to your Reflex saves, the ability to add your Intelligence bonus to your damage, and Weapon Finesse for free, among other things.

-Rogue levels will greatly increase your skill points. You also gain sneak attack (to help ramp up your damage), evasion, and uncanny dodge (as well as improved evasion and improved uncanny dodge, if you stay in the class long enough). Due to the loss of hit points from Rogue levels, you'll probably want a 14 Constitution, a 12 Intelligence, and an 8 Charisma if you take more than one or two levels of Rogue.

-Duelist levels allow you to add your intelligence bonus to your AC and greatly increases your Reflex saves. Eventually, you'll get Precise Strike, which lets you do an extra 1d6 (2d6 at level 10) damage. You'll want a minimum of one level of swashbuckler or rogue, so that you can get the requisite ranks in Tumble quickly; the ranks in Perform are easier.

-Dervish requires Weapon Focus in a slashing weapon, so you may want to switch over to the scimitar (which becomes a light weapon for a dervish), and makes you really, really mobile. Switch all instances of Rapier above to Scimitar, pick up three ranks of Perform (dance), and you're ready to go.

-Two-Weapon Fighter. Not specific to any class, obviously, but you'll want to be mainly a fighter to get as many feats as possible (if you could justify it, two levels of Ranger wouldn't hurt at all). You'll obviously need Two-Weapon Fighting. If you want Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, you'll need a 17 dexterity (or 6 levels of Ranger, which will greatly limit your feats, and may call for a higher Wisdom so you can use your spells). Weapon Focus in an off-hand weapon (or switching over to short swords) is a possibility, as is Two-Weapon Defense. Consider going to a longsword, scimitar or short sword for the main weapon (or convincing your DM to allow your rapier to count), and a dagger in the off-hand; if you pick up weapon focus in both, and Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, you'll qualify for the Crescent Moon Style from Complete Warrior, which makes you a lean, mean disarming machine. Either drop one of the magical items from the equipment, or reduce the rapier to a +1 Flaming (or whatever damage type you like) weapon to free up cash for a magical off-hand weapon.

Last edited:

Question

First Post
The unfettered class in arcana unearthed seems to be what you are looking for....dodge bonuses to AC, some obnus feats, half sneak attack progression......

Guilberwood

First Post
Really nice tips so far guys, thank you.

Right now, I'm thinking about going Rogue 3/Swashbuckler 3/fighter 4
This build focus mainly on damage. I get Str and Int to damage + 2 from weapon specialization. With improved critical and +2d6 sneak attack I can do some decent damage, right?

What feats, besides Weapon focus, weapon specialization and improved critical should I aim to (if I decide to stick with a single weapon)?
Is it worth to take dogde, mobility and spring attack (probably not since I'll have tumble, right)?
What about power attack?
Has anyone used those feats from Complete Warrior where you trade some sneak attack damage for a wound or a speed reduction?
Are they worth it?

Last edited:

FalcWP

Explorer
Rogue 3/Swashbuckler 3/Fighter 4 is a nice combo. You lose two of the feats I listed in the pure Fighter rundown above (Six fewer levels of fighter, but you do get Weapon Finesse for free). Given that combo, I might look at dropping Dodge and Mobility if you don't plan to pick up a Prestige Class that relies on them; you should be able to invest plenty of ranks in tumble. If you *do* plan on picking up a prestige class that relies on those, a combination of Improved Disarm, Improved Toughness, and Iron Will could all be on the chopping block (kind of depends on your ability scores; if you can get a higher Constitution, Improved Toughness is less critical).

Complete Warrior has a couple interesting feats for sneak attack capable characters, such as Arterial Strike (which would essentially replicate the Wounding property I recommended for the rapier). Pick this up, and switch over to, say, a +1 Icy Burst Rapier to get even more damage potential (especially with your expanded crit range).

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Just to add some more fun to the mix, levels in Psychic Warrior may add some wrinkles that would otherwise get overlooked. They only get medium BAB, but they get nearly as many feats as the fighter.

Psionic Feats like the Psionic Weapon tree add damage and eventually allows resolution of weapon attacks as touch attacks.

Some of the powers also directly enhance weapon damage, or can make cinematic tricks much easier.

Rkhet

First Post
If you've got enough feats to pull it off, Karmic Strike/Improved Trip/Side Step/Double Hit/Deft Opportunist seems pretty awsome.

Every time someone hits you, you AOO them back twice with a +4 bonus, trip them, then step back so they can't full attack.

here's my build:

Human Fighter 6/Ranger 2/Monk 2

ranger dodge, combat expertise
ranger twf (ranger style)
Fighter karmic strike, mobility
Fighter improved trip
Monk stunning fist/improve grapple
Monk combat reflexes, deft opportunist
Fighter
Fighter side step
Fighter improved twf
Fighter double hit

Karmic Strike from Complete Warrior, Deft Opportunist, Side Step and Double Hit from Miniatures Handbook. ITWF requires Dex 17. Some of the other feats have Dex requirements too. Finesse would be good, but I can't squeeze in another feat. Deft Opportunist should make up for it anyway.

The monk levels are necessary because Side Step requires 8 ranks of Tumble. You lose 1 BAB, but the saves, Evasion, and wis-to-ac should make up for it. Also, you need the unarmed strike for making trip attacks (you trip with the unarmed strike, then follow through with the rapier double-hit).

This build would be even better with reach. Enlarge Person, anyone?

Last edited:

Remove ads