Pogre's Story Hour - with Pics of Minis & Scenery (Final Update)

pogre

Legend
Destan said:

First, do you have the group move across the board round-by-round when not in combat, in order to maintain their positions? Or do you not use mini's during non-combat events such as roleplaying discussions or dungeon crawling?

Yes and no. The miniatures are always on the table to at least show the party order, or if they're split-up to reflect that.

The trouble with having figures out for combat only is it tips the player and funnels the action - I hate a visual clue telling the players 'oh ho, we're to fight here!' Unless an encounter is very clearly non-combat I have the players roll up initiative as well. Is this going to be a pleasant parley or a fight? should be a result of players' decisions and NPC reactions.

Destan said:

Second, do you set up the Forge stuff prior to your group coming over, or do you do it piecemeal as the characters come to new rooms and what-not?

The latter for the most part. It goes very quickly - we have all of the mastermaze in drawers and organized by type. I retrieve pieces and describe the room as I hand them to my players to arrange. I make any necessary last second adjustments and place the figures. I own about 20 sets of mastermaze, so we can put almost anything on the table.

One other thing I do is build pre-made rooms out of Hirst Arts Blocks and my own custom pieces. The tomb is an example of this. My brother constructs most of the outdoor buildings and I paint them.

Destan said:

I guess I have three questions, not two: Do you take the pics in-game or set them up after your sessions?

Currently, in game. I'm contemplating changing that, as sometimes I wish I had a shot of something, but did not take it. The other thing is, while setting up terrain and miniatures does not really cost any extra time, taking pictures does.

One of the things that got me into this was Wulf Ratbane's story. Ben Durbin is a friend of mine and he ran a site called Batreps. It's nothing but 40K battle reports with lots of pictures. So I guess you could say Wulf is responsible for the format of the story as being kind of like battle reports. I wish I could write as well as him, but at least I can out paint him ;) Although with Badaxe Games I doubt he touches a brush these days!

Back to the paint bench for our adventure tomorrow! Thanks for the comments and questions.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
pogre said:
I wish I could write as well as him, but at least I can out paint him ;) Although with Badaxe Games I doubt he touches a brush these days!

True dat. No time to paint!

You can also out sculpt me-- have you used any custom miniatures in this story yet?

Wish I was around your place for the summer... With so many updates, you seem to be doing pretty much nothing but playing, painting, and posting.

And they say teachers are underpaid. The PERKS, man, the PERKS!

Wulf

pogre

Legend
Episode 46

Episode 46

“’Tis midday sun, right?” Quint asked.

“Yeah, I was about mention the same thing,” Johann replied.

“The monolith is casting a huge shadow right at that old building over there,” Bridget noted. “Shadows at the midday sun… it must be magical.”

“Aye, 'tis magic, but it could be pointing up to that tomb entrance,” Quint suggested.

“No, I don’t think so,” Johann stated. “This is a lost tomb we’re looking for, and that tomb is neither lost nor does it line up with the shadow exactly.”

“Agreed,” Quint said. “Let’s go have a look at that building.”

The group looked through the old ruin, but found nothing of immediate interest. They then began to dig at the back of the building and were soon rewarded with evidence of another structure below them.

“Keep digging,” Johann demanded.

“I was trying to remember an old field song,” Quint replied.

“Uh, guys? We got company,” Bridget warned.

0826_guardians_attack_th.jpg

Skeleton warriors approach.

The skeletons clad in a few tattered remains of uniforms kept striding towards the adventurers who readied themselves for battle.

“You take the skinny ones, I’ll get the rest,” Quint said to Johann.

Weapons flew at the bones, but their swords were not very effective. Fortunately for the adventurers, the skeleton warriors had lost most of their lifetime skills. Bridget only suffered a minor wound before the undead guardians were put down.

“Undead attacking right in the middle of the day,” Johann complained. “Do these people have no respect for tradition?”

The digging was going quickly now and the group was taking out huge chunks of rubble. Slowly a set of stairs leading into the darkness was revealed.

0827_stairs_down_th.jpg

Stairs down.

The adventurers took inventory of their preparedness and embarked into the darkness.

“What’s that?” Quint asked of a couple lumps in the hallway ahead.

Johann quickly stabbed the lumps to confirm there was no life or animation left in the lumps. “It’s a couple of skeletons he whispered back to the group.

Bridget approached, “It looks like they died together.” She leaned down to take a closer look. “Yes, see this?” she held up the remains of a metal shaft. “They were pinned together by a large spear or bolt.”

0828_dead_tomb_robbers_th.jpg

Skeleton remains.

“That tells us a couple of things,” Johann began. “First, at least somebody has tried to get in this tomb before, and second, it is trapped.”

“We need one of those gits from the Network,” Bridget stated.

Johann retrieved a bag and started filling it with rubble. “Hand me some rope,” he demanded of Bridget. She complied and he began tying the end around the heavy sack. “At least we’ll have a pit finder,” he announced.

“With the added benefit of telling anything and everyone that we are on our way,” Quint added sarcastically.

“What do you suggest?” Johann snapped.

“It’s a good idea. Just calm down,” Bridget said.

“Aye, a necessary evil,” Quint agreed. “Much like yourself, Johann.”

Johann smiled and heaved the bag down the corridor. It landed with a loud thud and the group followed after it. Slowly they progressed in this manner until arriving at a large slab intersecting the passageway.

0829_dead_end_th.jpg

Dead end.

“Will your open portal spell work here Quint?” Bridget inquired.

“I don’t think so,” Quint answered. “Look here, this slab has been lowered into a cut channel.”

“Let’s bash our way through,” Johann stated.

“Even with proper tools that would take a couple of days,” Quint countered. “Let’s see if there is another way.”

The group took time to look over every inch of the slab and the hallway near it.

“What’s this?” Johann finally exclaimed with a rising voice. He pointed to a very slight indentation in the wall near the floor. He reached his hand inside of the indentation. “It feels like there is a little button down here.”

“Don’t touch it,” Quint warned.

“Too late,” Johann answered with a smile.

Slowly the slab began to shake and then grinded upwards. The progress shook the entire passageway and the sound of stone against stone raised the hackles on the napes of the adventurers’ necks. The slab out of the way, the adventurers faced another immediate obstacle.

0830_welcome_party_th.jpg

Welcome party.

“Not you skinny guys again,” Quint complained.

The combat went much as it had above with Quint only sustaining a minor wound. Bridget saw to his injury and the group continued forward. There progress was slow as Johann slung the bag forward and the rest followed its loud thump. Like a loud inchworm, the party made their way into the dark corridor.

They reached another slab bisecting the passage, but Johann found another indentation with a button quickly. After some loud stone-on-stone grinding the second slab was lifted clear as well.

The passage led to an unusual chamber: on their side the adventurers were on a ledge that faced a similar ledge on the far side. The middle, however was ten feet or so lower and filled with fungi.

“There’s something moving down there,” Bridget observed. Pointing at movement in the fungi.

Two six-foot long ants, alerted to the party’s appearance began to make their way to them. Undeterred by their short climb up the wall, the ants attacked.

0831_fungi_pit_th.jpg

Fungi pit.

Johann sliced deeply into one of the ants as it approached, but the other insect had Bridget’s thigh caught in it maw.

Quint delivered several blows to the ant’s thorax and finally it relaxed its grip and fell back into the pit.

Bridget checked her thigh and saw deep indentations were the bug had been holding her. She said a simple prayer and healed herself.

“Look,” Johann called to the group, pointing at a hole down in the pit. “There must be a whole nest of them down there.”

“Colony,” Quint corrected.

“I say we burn this stuff and come back later,” Johann suggested.

The group agreed and they began spreading oil all over the fungi. Quint and Bridget headed back for the valley as Johann lit the oil and retreated before the black smoke began filling the room and the corridors beyond. He joined the others on the surface of the valley.

“Hopefully that will smoke them all out,” Johann stated.

“It certainly worked on us,” Quint added.

“We’ll give it a few hours and head back,” Johann said, ignoring Quint’s comment.

“In the meantime, we shall sup,” Bridget announced. She set up a simple camp and the group began preparing a meal.

To be continued…

Last edited:

pogre

Legend
Episode 47

Episode 47

Following supper the adventurers decided to spend the night inside the tomb. The following morning they moved up to inspect the damage their fire had caused. They were surprised most of the fungi was intact.

0901_return_to_fungi_pit_th.jpg

Fungi Pit post fire.

No ants were immediately visible so the group moved across the room to the far side.

0902_fungi_pit_th.jpg

Another shot - Fungi Pit post fire.

The next chamber the adventurers came to was of an unusual design. There were four columns in the chamber framing a staircase going down (not shown in picture) in the middle of the room. There was also a passageway leading out on the south side of the room.

0903_Shaman_Descent_chamber_th.jpg

Descent chamber.

“Let’s go to the corridor,” Quint offered. “I don’t see anything else in here.”

Bridget brought up the rear behind Johann and Quint, she suddenly felt an icy chill on her back. She turned to see undead eyes on her.

“Providence of Opheria!” Bridget screamed.

0904_ghast_attack_th.jpg

Ghast attack.

No sooner had the exclamation left the cleric’s lips that she succumbed to paralyzation. Quint stepped over her body to fend the undead monsters off and Johann followed suit.

0905_Bridget_Paralyzed_th.jpg

Bridget Paralyzed.

Johann deftly stepped around the Ghasts, while both creatures flailed at him in vain. Quint remained on one side and with Johann on the other they quickly took the Ghast down.

0906_ghast_combat_th.jpg

Combat against the Ghasts.

The second Ghast proved more resilient, but with Johann quickly maneuvering around its flank it too fell to their combined blades.

The two men stood together resting from the combat while the cleric lay drooling on the floor. Quint went down to the floor and held her head to make her more comfortable.

“You know,” Johann began with a laugh. “If you trained one of those things. A fella’ could have a pretty good time in a Temple to Virtua with all the sisters.”

“Ye’ are goin’ to rot in eternal pain in the afterlife fer that comment,” Quint responded.

Bridget’s jaws were loosening, “It’s the only way he will ever lie with a woman.”

Both Johann and Quint laughed hard at her comment.

The group gathered themselves and headed down the side corridor entering an ornate tomb chamber.

0907_Shaman_Burial_Chamber_th.jpg

Burial Chamber.

The central sarcophagus was made of stone heavily decorated and inscribed with a prayer of worship for the Sun God. Quint approached the coffin and tried to remove the lid, but it did not budge.

“Let me help you little lady,” Johann said to Quint.

“Watch for whatever comes out of this thing and keep it off us,” Quint said.

The lid finally slid aside with a clatter and an occupant appeared!

0908_Shadow_attack_th.jpg

Shadow attacks.

to be continued…

pogre

Legend
Episode 48

Episode 48

The beast attacked Quint from its sarcophagus and Quint felt an unnatural chill run through his body. An icy touch that seemed to pull the strength from his body.

Bridget tried to turn the vile creature, but failed.

Johann struck home and the dark monster hesitated. It tried to claw at the fighter, but amazingly did not touch him. Quint’s weapon went through the monster without effect.

“’Tis like fighting smoke,” Quint complained.

Johann’s weapon again struck home and the insubstantial, undead entity fell away.

“Everything seems to drain my strength away these days,” Quint commented. “First spiders, now this thing.”

“Can you go on?” Bridget asked Quint.

“Of course,” Quint answered. “Is there anything in the sarcophagi?”

“No, but there is a door beyond,” Johann answered.

The group went through the door and found something that put them all on high alert.

0909_three_chests_th.jpg

Three chests.

“I saw a game like this in DuJang years ago,” Quint stated. “It’s a charlatan’s ruse. There is no correct choice.”

“It does smell like a trap,” Johann agreed.

“Throw the trap finder in there,” Bridget suggested.

Johann heaved the heavy sack into the room and was rewarded with a substantial portion of the floor giving way. “Aha,” he exclaimed. He reeled in the sack and threw it to the other locations in the room, but found no more traps. “Which chest first?” he asked.

Bridget shrugged in indifference, but Quint pointed to the chest on the far left. Johann proceeded to bash the three chests open and found a fair amount of gold, silver, gems, and jewelry that the party snatched up.

The group wandered back from the room into the main corridor and the chamber with the stairs down the middle. They descended to the slab blocking the way. This door was a different type and retained its original seal. The group began picking away at the mortar seal.

A couple of hours into the work a pair of Giant Ants wandered into the room and attacked the adventurers. The fight was quick, but not without injury – Bridget had been in the huge insects mandibles and subject to its sting twice.

0910_ant_attack_th.jpg

Ant attack.

“I’m so sick of giant bugs!” Bridget exclaimed. “Spiders, ants, what’s next?”

“Just cure yourself sister,” Quint suggested. “I’m almost through here.”

A few hours later the portal came open and revealed a long illustrated hall beyond. The end of the hallway had another sealed portal. A few hours of picking the adventurers were through this portal as well. Another hall stretched out beyond the door slab.

Johann threw his sack onto the front of the hallway nonchalantly, almost stepping forward like an automaton. Shortly after the sack hit the ground an audible kerchunk could be heard echoing through the hall. Then a spear shot across the hallway.

“Whoa,” Johann commented lowly.

He threw the sack down the hallway a bit further without result. The adventurers tried to jump across the section of hallway where they suspected a pressure plate was situated. To their collective surprise a flame of jet shot through the air across the hall. They tried to jump out of the way, but were limited in their evasion by the spear trap behind them. None of them were hit full force by the flames, only singed.

“I know I hit this section of the hall with the sack,” Johann stated in an exasperated voice.

“It must not be a pressure plate or weight related,” Quint offered.

“Yep, a magical trap,” Bridget agreed.

Johann shrugged as if in agreement and tossed the sack a bit further down the hall. A number of blades crossed the path. The large sharp blades severed the rope holding the sack and cut the bag to pieces.

“Quite a fun house they have here,” Quint quipped.

“Maybe we could brace something against the blades,” Bridget suggested.

“They look too heavy and sharp,” Johann replied. “If you time it correctly, you should be able to make it through there.”

The adventurers dashed across the hallway section and only took a couple of hits from the blades.

“I half expected to run into another trap down here at the end,” Quint confessed.

“There still is a door here,” Johann stated. “What’s more it is trapped in some way, look at this seam on the back side.”

“How did you see that?” Bridget asked incredulously.

“Just lucky,” Johann answered. “I happened to see it before I began chipping the seal.”

“Can you open it with a cantrip?” Bridget asked Quint.

“I can try.” Quint called the cantrip up from memory and something went wrong. The slab did not move. Quint wavered.

“Quint, what’s wrong?” Bridget asked worriedly.

“I don’t know,” he answered. “It fizzled and I feel weaker yet. I can barely hold myself up as it is.”*

Bridget called a prayer that restored some of Quint’s strength.

“I will try again,” Quint offered. Quint called the spell again, and again he wavered.

“Not again,” Johann complained.

“Aye,” Quint admitted. “I cannot explain it mates. But now I’m out of that cantrip and I need to rest to try again.”

“That’s alright Quint,” Bridget consoled. “I could use the rest myself.”

“Let’s rest here,” Johann proposed.

“Here?” Bridget asked.

“Unless you want to run back through those blades,” Johann answered. “Besides what better protection than traps behind us and a sealed door ahead of us.”

“He’s right,” Quint agreed. “Let’s stay here.”

…..

The following morning Quint felt refreshed and Bridget performed her morning meditations and prayers. She prayed over Quint and his strength was restored in full. The group broke fast with some dark bread and hard cheese.

“How say you Quint?” Johann inquired.

“I’ll try again.” Quint closed his eyes and called forth the cantrip. He shook a moment and opened his eyes.

“By Olfader! You failed again!”

“Blaspheming will not help the situation Johann!” Bridget admonished the fighter. “Quint, are you alright?”

Quint was already in the process of casting the cantrip again. He wavered again and fell back. “I don’t know what’s wrong. I am so weak. My strength leaves me everytime.”

Bridget prayed over him once again and restored Quint’s strength.

“I’m just going to open the door,” Johann announced.

“It is trapped. Remember?” Quint mentioned.

Johann pulled the door with all of his strength and the whole wall collapsed towards them. Scrambling from the falling debris all three remained unscathed.

“That could have killed us all,” Bridget said harshly.

“Or we could have died of starvation waiting for Graywyr over there to cast a spell successfully,” Johann retorted. “Besides all’s well that ends well.”

The group went beyond the pile of rubble into the next room. Three standing sarcophagi were in the middle of the room. The lid to each was fashioned with a carving of a fighting man. A door to south went deeper into the tomb.

“The temple guard?” Bridget asked.

“Yes, I think so,” Quint answered.

“Let’s skip them and go south. We can always come back,” Johann offered.

“Or whatever undead monsters reside in them can follow us and strike at the time of their choosing rather than ours,” Quint countered. “When thar’s fish, keep the net wet. Mend her in the morn’.”

“I’ll open the first sarcophagi to the east. You be ready Bridget to cast back whatever comes out of this thing,” Quint instructed.

No sooner had Quint touched the sarcophagi than all three opened almost simultaneously. Three figures swathed in burial linens came forth and cast such despair into the adventurers’ hearts that they wavered.

0911_guardian_mummies_th.jpg

Mummies attack.

“Mummies!” Quint exclaimed. “Don’t let them touch you!”

to be continued…

*Quint’s spell was failing and draining his strength - A featured rules module from the forth coming Grim Tales by Badaxe games. Quint was truly breaking the odds with his consistent failures.

Last edited:

pogre

Legend
Episode 49

Episode 49

Johann moved deftly around the undead opponents and sunk his blade into one. Quint missed and cursed to Hergassa.

Bridget retrieved her holy symbol of Opheria. “In the name of her holiness I rebuke thee!”

To the amazement of all, two of the three mummies retreated before the deity’s servant.

0912_two_mummies_turned_th.jpg

Mummies turned.

Johann and Quint now had the third guardian mummy flanked and hacked into the linen-wrapped abomination with new fervor. Shortly it fell in tatters of centuries old bone, flesh, and cloth.

“I cannot hold them forever,” Bridget cried in reference to the two mummies huddled in the corner.

The men fell upon the cowed undead hacking with all of their might. Even in their vulnerable state the mummies were not without defense and not all of the blows were telling. Finally, the power of the turning waned and in a nick of time Johann struck down one of the monsters.

The other mummy seemed buoyed with renewed courage and landed a terrible blow on Quint knocking him back. Johann tried to dissuade the mummy from further attacks on Quint, but the mummy continued its assault on Quint unabated. Quint weakly struck out but missed completely.

Bridget realizing her help was needed struck the mummy with a powerful blow. Reeling, the mummy turned towards her. The distraction was all Johann needed. A powerful thrust from the fighter’s sword spelt doom for the mummy and it crumpled in a mess of tangled linen strips.

The group sat down and rested a bit.

“Bless Opheria,” Johann commented uncharacteristically. “Without you turning those two, we would have been in big trouble.”

“As you said, ‘Bless Opheria’ – my role was secondary at best,” Bridget replied in appreciation.

Quint went through the sarcophagi finding three masterwork scimitars.

The adventurers packed the well-made swords away and proceeded to the southern door.

…..

“By Olfader,” Johann profaned.

This time Bridget did not object. The chamber they had come upon was immense and contained at least four dozen sarcophagi.

0913_servants_tomb_th.jpg

Servants sarcophagi.

Each sarcophagi lid was carved with a simple body and a tool of trade. The walls were painted with persons engaged in various menial tasks.

“Servants’ burial chamber,” Quint commented.

“I do not like this,” Johann stated grimly.

“We should leave these coffins alone,” Bridget advised.

There were two more exits in the southern part of the room.

“Let’s head over there,” Quint suggested pointing to the easternmost egress.

Carefully moving through the mass of burial boxes the adventurers followed a short hall out of the chamber. A large central sarcophagus dominated the center of the room they came into. There were half dozen smaller stone boxes surrounding the large sarcophagus. The room’s paintings were of sad scenes of a woman crying.

Johann and Quint stepped into the chamber. The lid to the sarcophagus opened and a women shrouded in linen will rise. She wailed in reverberating tones, “They are killing my children, my sweet infants, come to me my beauties.”

0914_queen_mummy_th.jpg

Queen Mummy.

The small stone boxes around the central sarcophagus opened simultaneously. From each of these issued forth what looked like a badly malformed infant. The infants all wailed and cried, creating an unbearable cacophony of voices.

The Queen rose with malice burning out of her dead eyes. Her crippled infant children crawled and squirmed along the floor towards the adventurers.

“Turn them!” Johann yelled to Bridget.

Bridget froze in fear.

To be continued…

Last edited:

Remove ads