• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Point blank shot and spell selection

resscane

Explorer
After two mind numbing weeks of vacation w/ 6 children, I sat down at Zoroaster100's gaming table (a DM who I met on the gamers seeking gamers board, and never have I been happier w/ the internet) and found I squeeked out just enough exp to go up a level after being played as an NPC. I was out of gas, and in a moment of weakness, chose Point Blank Shot as my 3rd level feat. So I have it now, and thats that. We are playing the Shackled City Adventure PAth, so survival is a definite consideration.

I already have Lesser Acid orb and Scorching Ray, both of which, I believe, can use the feat. And my crossbow has already come into play, killing a couple of baddies when I was out of spells. Sooo, what other spells should I consider. My character is a 3rd level evoker, w/ Necro and Illusion prohibited. Any Ideas. Thanks.

I believe Complete Arcane has some discussion and rules as to which spells can benefit from PBS.

Off the top of my head...

* acid splash
* ray of frost
* ray of enfeeblment (? -- in Tome & Blood it was ruled to deal an additional 1 point of "negative energy" damage, I believe... not sure if that carried over to CA)
* melf's acid arrow

Also, don't forget to pick up Precise Shot at 6th level, so you can fire into melee without the huge -4 penalty.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Joshua Randall said:
I believe Complete Arcane has some discussion and rules as to which spells can benefit from PBS.

Off the top of my head...

* acid splash
* ray of frost
* ray of enfeeblment (? -- in Tome & Blood it was ruled to deal an additional 1 point of "negative energy" damage, I believe... not sure if that carried over to CA)
* melf's acid arrow

Also, don't forget to pick up Precise Shot at 6th level, so you can fire into melee without the huge -4 penalty.

It should be useful for any spell that requires a ranged attack roll (whether a touch attack or not) and that's not a small thing.
And DON'T underestimate the power of that Precise shot. I've considered taking both as a 1st level human sorcerer before... though I eventually settled on BP shot at 1st level and precise shot at 3rd, anticipating the not too distant arrival of scorching ray.

Remove ads