Point Buy Feats - How could this go wrong?

Yunru

Banned
Banned
For four points, you can buy a feat. What's the most broken things you can do with this?

Note: Both the Skills and Racial feats UAs are allowed.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
If I was trying to abuse it, I'd go for as single-ability-score as possible, maybe an archer so DEX is hit/damage/AC and I'm not front-lining it for CON. Max that score, keep others low, and buy a half-feat to further notch the 15 + 2 racial up to an 18.

Heck, if I wanted a combat monster I could leave some more at 8 and get another feat.

19 points could get me:

S 10
D 15
C 12
I 8
W 12
Ch 8

(15 10 10 10 10 10 is also 19 point buy)

Pick a +2 Dex race. Maybe rearrange the lower abilities scores a bit based on what else it gets.

Those 8 leftover points would get Sharp Shooter and something that gives +1 Dex. Resilient is possible based on class, Stealthy is probably useful to the archetype. Though a halfling with Squat Nimbleness and Crossbow Expert instead might be fun.

If you can't buy more then one feat, then just go for the 18 Dex and boost your ability scores.

A half-elf CHR-based caster with Everybody's Friend would be another good pick, though there's a lot of fun to play INT or CHR boosting feats.

A caster cleric with heavy armor so they don't care about 8 DEX is also good for this.

Ovarwa

Explorer
Hi,

It probably won't be too broken.

At 4 points, a Feat is valued as 2 points of attributes above 13. To maximize the value, we might expect a character never to boost attributes below 13 using future ASIs.

Most spellcasters want a casting stat, Dex and Con to be high, and they rarely need many feats, except for Moon Druids and gishes. Is starting with Con proficiency worth it for casters? If so, it's not overpowered. Gnome Abjurers might like casting Nondetection a lot.

Moon Druid: The only stat you deeply care about is Wisdom, since you hope to spend lots of time in animal and elemental forms. But when you cast, you're in normal form so you have to care about Dex and Con a little bit. You also have to survive level 1. Alert, Sentinel... there's a druid guide somewhere.

Archers don't care about Str, and since they hang back maybe care less about Con too. So, start with Sharpshooter and maybe Crossbow Expert?

A melee Fighter might want to make room for things like Heavy Armor Mastery, which is at its best at level 1. But GWM and PAM are also party favorites.

A gish might dump his two mental non-casting attributes and one of Str/Dex to 8, to make room for Warcaster and Proficient Con. Etc.

I'm not seeing anything scary or broken. But you are likely to see more ruthless dump stats, to make room for narrower specialization. I'm not sure if that's a good side effect, though I don't think it's broken.

Anyway,

Ken

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
One additional thing I'd like to mention, in addition to my "how to abuse" above. Many players (not saying your table, just a general observation) will keep their needed scores and drop their lowest. You'll get more one-dimensional characters with more 8s or 10s who do one thing well but don't contribute much elsewhere.

Remove ads