D&D 5E Point Buy vs Rolling for Stats

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
Roll-and-arrange, not really, no. Roll-in-order, though, can claim better 'realism' in the sense that an aspect of the characters (innate talent) out of the control of the character is also out of the control of the player.

The argument for dice-rolling being more realistic than point-buy is that it better represents the character's lack of control over its own abilities, yes? That might make sense if point-buy was being used to represent that or was being used to represent the character having control, but it isn't, so there's no unrealistic representation upon which dice-rolling can improve.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
That is one thing I like about my group, and maybe its less common than I assumed, is none of the players are competing with each other. They do get fired up when a fellow player rolls nutty stats during PC creation since they know he should be effective in helping the party do what they are doing. Of course that PC usually ends up dying withing seconds of the rest of them, but there is no complaining about Frank having 2 18's when Bill only has a 16 max stat. I keep reading how Pole Arm Mastery is broken, and I see the POV but the rest of the group is loving having Pole Arm Pete along for the ride. Of course we are a stable group of players and not a random AL table.

One thing that a lot of people seem to miss (and sometimes I'm one of them) is that there are multiple ways to play D&D. The game is incredibly flexible and can support many play styles.

Some people prefer story and character development with combats being relatively rare. Others prefer dungeon crawls with relatively little in the way of storyline or roleplaying. Some groups are very competitive and enjoy an adversarial style of play with the DM actively attempting to kill of PC's. In others the PC's effectively have "plot armor" until they get to a climactic battle. Some prefer a very controlled starting point and treat most of the game like a tactical combat simulator with some RP tossed in, with both the players and the DM fact-checking each other on the rules and tactics. Some prefer to roll their characters and gamble on their stats (or just like seeing where the dice take them). Others prefer to control every aspect of character creation - players control their characters, DM's control the monsters.

None of these are the "wrong" way to play D&D. I personally dislike rolling for stats, but don't think it is wrong or somehow "inferior" if other groups prefer it.

Where I tend to get snarky is when I think someone is acting as if their preferred style (random vs point buy in this thread) is somehow inherently more "right" or "superior" and people who prefer to play differently are doing it wrong somehow.

"My way of creating a pretend elf wizard is more "realistic" than your way of creating a pretend elf wizard."

"You don't do it my way because you are afraid and can't handle the dice!"

"You don't do it my way because you don't trust your players and you are all dishonest."

"It was good enough for me 30 years ago, I don't see why it isn't good enough for you today. Now get off my lawn!"

If I see that I'll mock you and challenge you until I get bored. (Because I have too much free time on my hands...)

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
The argument for dice-rolling being more realistic than point-buy is that it better represents the character's lack of control over its own abilities, yes? That might make sense if point-buy was being used to represent that or was being used to represent the character having control, but it isn't, so there's no unrealistic representation upon which dice-rolling can improve.
Yes. The idea is that the player is the decision-maker for the character, so if the player makes a decision it needs to map to a decision the character could make. The character can't choose whether to put his 18 in STR or DEX. He can't choose the race, sorcerous potential, or social class of his parents.

There's a /lot/ of things players in D&D decide about their characters that the characters couldn't be deciding, buying or arranging stats is just one of 'em. Random rolling in order is one less.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
One thing that a lot of people seem to miss (and sometimes I'm one of them) is that there are multiple ways to play D&D. The game is incredibly flexible and can support many play styles.

Some people prefer story and character development with combats being relatively rare. Others prefer dungeon crawls with relatively little in the way of storyline or roleplaying. Some groups are very competitive and enjoy an adversarial style of play with the DM actively attempting to kill of PC's. In others the PC's effectively have "plot armor" until they get to a climactic battle. Some prefer a very controlled starting point and treat most of the game like a tactical combat simulator with some RP tossed in, with both the players and the DM fact-checking each other on the rules and tactics. Some prefer to roll their characters and gamble on their stats (or just like seeing where the dice take them). Others prefer to control every aspect of character creation - players control their characters, DM's control the monsters.

None of these are the "wrong" way to play D&D. I personally dislike rolling for stats, but don't think it is wrong or somehow "inferior" if other groups prefer it.

Where I tend to get snarky is when I think someone is acting as if their preferred style (random vs point buy in this thread) is somehow inherently more "right" or "superior" and people who prefer to play differently are doing it wrong somehow.

"My way of creating a pretend elf wizard is more "realistic" than your way of creating a pretend elf wizard."

"You don't do it my way because you are afraid and can't handle the dice!"

"You don't do it my way because you don't trust your players and you are all dishonest."

"It was good enough for me 30 years ago, I don't see why it isn't good enough for you today. Now get off my lawn!"

If I see that I'll mock you and challenge you until I get bored. (Because I have too much free time on my hands...)

Where did I challenge anyones play style? I stated something I liked about my group that related to stat generation. Do you think you are telling me something I didn't know 30 years ago?

Play how you want.

Remove ads