D&D 5E Point Buy vs Rolling for Stats

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
4502326752_2c174e1e72_z.jpg

Last edited:

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
But that original post was meant to be mistimed. I was lightly mocking those counting down to 2000.

And your post, before editing, was perfect!

I know, I put it back. I'm having such lag from doing a remote session that I tried to do some editing and things are just driving me up the wall. So its all ruined.

doh.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
You monster! Think of all those adventurers, waiting to have a fulfilling life slaying goblins only never to be played.
Whaddya mean, never to be played?

Every one of them was played...though in quite a few cases not for very long before dying. (we call those the 'one hit wonders') :)

Lanefan

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Ad hoc has us both blocked, I see. It was 1994 for me, too.
Odd - for me that post shows as 1995, and the one I'm quoting here shows as 2000.

I've never blocked anyone, and if someone's blocked me I don't know of it (which I guess is the point, really).

Curious.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Where did I challenge anyones play style? I stated something I liked about my group that related to stat generation. Do you think you are telling me something I didn't know 30 years ago?

Play how you want.

Sorry, that wasn't really directed at you so much as the general audience. Every so often I feel the need to restate my thesis on this topic.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
Yes. The idea is that the player is the decision-maker for the character, so if the player makes a decision it needs to map to a decision the character could make. The character can't choose whether to put his 18 in STR or DEX. He can't choose the race, sorcerous potential, or social class of his parents.

There's a /lot/ of things players in D&D decide about their characters that the characters couldn't be deciding, buying or arranging stats is just one of 'em. Random rolling in order is one less.

Okay, but to say that adds to realism, implies that point-buy represents the unrealistic situation that the character is actually deciding what its scores are, and that isn't the case.

Oofta

Legend
Whaddya mean, never to be played?

Every one of them was played...though in quite a few cases not for very long before dying. (we call those the 'one hit wonders') :)

Lanefan

You monster! Creating characters only to kill them off in a meat grinder of a campaign! Oh the humanity!

Remove ads