Poison DCs (Revision Oct-8-2006)

LiquidBlue

First Post
Please consider my modified proposa. I have made comestic changes in order to make the proposal more legible.

My modified proposal greatly simplifies the various poison DCs compared to my previous proposal.

Patlin's vote should still be valid, as the parts for which he voted have not been changed. (Well, I guess I did change the Purchase DCs, but since the vote against them stemed from a disinclination to complicate purchases, the no vote should still be valid.)

Velmont

First Post
Craft DC:35 or higher seems pretty high... how can a character hope to reach that?

At level 5:
Craft rank: 8
Int 18: +4
Skill Focus: +3
Masterwork tools: +2
Total: +17

Short of 8 to be able to have 45 with a single roll, and have little chance to make Wyvern poison (DC:35) (need to roll 18 on a die many times to sucessfully craft it). So it will cost a lot of time and money (wasting many times his raw material) to have a single dose of wyvern poison. During that time, a druid can cast Poison at least once per day...

LiquidBlue

First Post
Velmont said:
Craft DC:35 or higher seems pretty high... how can a character hope to reach that?

At level 5:
Craft rank: 8
Int 18: +4
Skill Focus: +3
Masterwork tools: +2
Total: +17

Short of 8 to be able to have 45 with a single roll, and have little chance to make Wyvern poison (DC:35) (need to roll 18 on a die many times to sucessfully craft it). So it will cost a lot of time and money (wasting many times his raw material) to have a single dose of wyvern poison. During that time, a druid can cast Poison at least once per day...

The DCs do seem a little high. It would be an easy matter compact the levels into a narrower range. I would like to hear other opinions.

What do you think of the other parts of the proposal?

LiquidBlue

First Post
Having taken into consideration Velmont's very reasonable comment, I have narrowed the craft DC range. The highest craft DC is now 30, with the simpler poisons having a DC as low as 12, which puts several poisons within the craft range of many characters without extreme investment in training and equipment.

I ask that my proposal be considered, and commented on (or voted upon).

Knight Otu

First Post
I like most of the DCs, but the Purchase DC is a bit of a problem as noted earlier. Shouldn't all possibly illegal things have such a DC (which may well include "common" adventurer gear)?

LiquidBlue

First Post
Knight Otu said:
I like most of the DCs, but the Purchase DC is a bit of a problem as noted earlier. Shouldn't all possibly illegal things have such a DC (which may well include "common" adventurer gear)?

I agree that a DC to find the poisons for purchase is a headache that may be better left out. On the other hand, these poisons are the only thing, that I can recall offhand, that are specificly mentioned within the SRD as being generally illegal.

I suppose I can make a counter proposal, and we can see which one wins out.

The Purchase of Poisons

Poisons can be purchased at the market price, just as other items can. (ie, the town is large enough that items of that price are generally available.)

Knight Otu

First Post
I believe that, technically, the use of craft (alchemy) rather than craft (poison) bit is approved now. However, without the DCs to go with it, I'm not sure if I should add it yet.

Rystil Arden

First Post
I'm not sure I like the mechanism for collecting the plant-based poisons, particularly the expensive and rare ones "Yup, I have +10 to Survival and the Detect Plants spell. I have a 50/50 shot of finding Black Lotus extract by looking around the grass outside Orussus for a few days. Yeah, I know it only grows in the rarest jungles far far away, but I'm cool and stuff. My 9th-level buddy with +20 to Survival and Detect Plants automatically finds Black Lotus in the same grass outside Orussus. cool!"

Remove ads