• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Poison Spell.. Question!

RolandOfGilead

First Post
Normally, poison is a druid/cleric spell.
its DC is 1/2 caster level + wis bonus.

how would you adjuciate it if somehow a wizard got the spell on his spell list? would you allow him to use his INT bonus?
Would that be out of line? Is there any word from the sage on this subject?
Thanks in advance,
Roland

Sejs

First Post
how would you adjuciate it if somehow a wizard got the spell on his spell list?
via personal spell research, DMG p42.

would you allow him to use his INT bonus?
Reguardless of the spell, if it's a wizard casting it, it's based off their intelligence. A sorcerer, charisma. A cleric or druid, wisdom.

Would that be out of line?
Not at all.

dcollins

Explorer
RolandOfGilead said:
how would you adjuciate it if somehow a wizard got the spell on his spell list? would you allow him to use his INT bonus?
Would that be out of line? Is there any word from the sage on this subject?

Such a change would obviously be a house rule, outside the rules as written. Any change to DC would be up to the DM. The Sage would never have occasion to comment on something like that.

RolandOfGilead

First Post
Oh, so the sage has never made a ruling regarding the "Flavor" of the rules huh?
hehe.

Besides Dcollins.. I wasnt looking for that kind of input I was asking how you'd rule it - I asked for an opinion, not a reading of the rule.

Thanks,
Roland

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
This sounds fine to me. Definitely base the DC off the primary spellcasting ability for the character. The only thing to consider is whether it has the appropriate flavor for a wizard.

Were I you, I'd make it a necromancy spell for wizards. (transmutation would be possible, but that's already a very strong school, and it fits a necromantic flavor better). The wizard researching the spell might find out that something similar has been done by a group of assassin-mages several hundred years ago in a kingdom far away, etc. etc. Try for a creepy mood: perhaps the wizard's finger becomes a scorpion's tail for just long enough to make the required attack roll.

Daniel

Maitre Du Donjon

First Post
The DC of the spell should calculated the SAME WAY as are ALL the other DC's calculated, ie 10 + spell level + spell casting ability bonus, that's why you need to assign a spell level to your Arcane Poison spell

Maitre D

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Maitre Du Donjon said:
The DC of the spell should calculated the SAME WAY as are ALL the other DC's calculated, ie 10 + spell level + spell casting ability bonus, that's why you need to assign a spell level to your Arcane Poison spell

Maitre D

I disagree: I'd calculate it the same as the DC for the divine poison spell:

Poison
Necromancy
Level: Clr 4, Drd 3
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch
Target: Living creature touched
Duration: Instantaneous (see text)
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates (see text)
Spell Resistance: Yes
The character inflicts the subject with a poison by making a successful melee touch attack. The poison deals 1d10 points of temporary Constitution damage immediately and another 1d10 points of temporary Constitution damage 1 minute later. Each instance of damage can be negated by a Fortitude save (DC 10 + one-half caster level + caster’s Wisdom modifier).

except that I'd use the primary spellcasting attribute instead of wisdom where appropriate.

Daniel

Maitre Du Donjon

First Post
eeps.

Are there many occurances in spells where the DC to save vs the spell isn't 10 + Spell Level + Spell Casting Ability Modifier? Why do you think they made the Poison spell diffrent? So a more able caster could cast a more potent Poison spell? And if I get this straight, the Poison spell wouldn't benefit in any way being Heightened (apart from the fact that it could break through a Globe of Invulnerability)?

Maitre D

youspoonybard

First Post
Poison has an awesome DC. I've been tooting my horn about it being an excellent Druid spell for a while.

It's based off of monsters and their poison DC's. 10+1/2 HD+Con mod.

So, to answer the original poster's question: yes. After all, poison changed ability mods from Con to Wis when they made a spell about it.

Remove ads