• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Poison

Evil DM

First Post
Hi folks,

I just built a Scorpion Wraith from the Secret's of Xen'Drik and wondered a few things:

1st
the SRD said:
One dose of poison smeared on a weapon or some other object affects just a single target.

I understand that the Drow would be able to use one dose for one attack with his longknife. But what about ammunition? How many arrows or bolts would he be able to prepare?

2nd
the SRD said:
A poisoned weapon or object retains its venom until the weapon scores a hit or the object is touched.

So I agree the drow is able to prepare his longknife (and say his boomerang) in advance. But does he take the damage from the poison if he draws his weapons for a fight? Or does his poison use ability prevent him from this?

3rd
How long does it take to prepare a weapon with a dose of poison?

4th
What about the Cost for the poisons given from the giant vermins in the MM?
And second there are some differences between the MM and the DMG.
The MM stats poison from a large scorpion with con damage while the while the DMG talks about str damage....

Evil DM

First Post
I am intrigued!! :uhoh:

30 views and no reply? Does that mean that my question is too trivial or that my questions are realy nowhere answered in the core rules?

Cheers, Evil DM.

MarkB

Legend
Evil DM said:
I am intrigued!! :uhoh:

30 views and no reply? Does that mean that my question is too trivial or that my questions are realy nowhere answered in the core rules?

Cheers, Evil DM.
More likely, the topic has been viewed by 30 people who (like me) don't currently own Secrets of Xen'drik, and so cannot comment on the subject without a reference to the class ability that's of concern to you.

Evil DM

First Post
Oh.

I see what you mean.

But I do not ask anything about the SoX-thing in particular. It is just where my problems have their origin.

I'd say these are general questions about poison and don't care about the PrC in detail. Thus the thread ist called Poison and not Scorpion Wraith from Secret's of Xen'Drik ;)

:)

Cheers, Evil DM

Kurashu

First Post
Evil DM said:
So I agree the drow is able to prepare his longknife (and say his boomerang) in advance. But does he take the damage from the poison if he draws his weapons for a fight? Or does his poison use ability prevent him from this?

Poison Use would prevent this, or in the least: you could make a strong case for it preventing this.

Shape D.

First Post
Evil DM said:
1st
Quote:
Originally Posted by the SRD
One dose of poison smeared on a weapon or some other object affects just a single target.

I understand that the Drow would be able to use one dose for one attack with his longknife. But what about ammunition? How many arrows or bolts would he be able to prepare?
this is something that isn't covered by the DMG. or if it is I haven't found it..... I'd houserule 5 for arrows and bolts though, much smaller area, so it should cover more. All thrown weapons would still be 1 dose.

Evil DM said:
2nd
Quote:
Originally Posted by the SRD
A poisoned weapon or object retains its venom until the weapon scores a hit or the object is touched.

His longknife would have a hilt, that wouldn't be poisoned, for the boomerang I'd say the poison use would allow him to put it on the boomerang correctly so that when he draws it he wouldn't contact the poison at all.

Evil DM said:
3rd
How long does it take to prepare a weapon with a dose of poison?
1 standard action I believe. (I don't have a book with me to verify this one though, I could see it being a full round action)

Evil DM said:
4th
What about the Cost for the poisons given from the giant vermins in the MM?
And second there are some differences between the MM and the DMG.
The MM stats poison from a large scorpion with con damage while the while the DMG talks about str damage....
I'd go with the MM listing.

Dragonwriter

First Post
Evil DM said:
2nd

The drow would only take the poison damage from his own weapon under certain conditions. First, if it is contact poison and the drow touched it, he would have to make the save or take the damage. Second, if he hits himself (maybe on a natural 1) and it's injury poison, he'd take it. Really, all poison use does is prevent him from poisoning himself while applying it to whatever his weapon is. And while applying the poison, I would expect the drow to be already holding it, preventing the possibility of poisoning himelf while drawing the weapon.

Remove ads