• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

POkemon d20

darth xanthor

First Post
Hey everybody

'm not 1oo% sure this is the right area, but I'll post none the less. I am looking for some sort of d20 tabletop pokemon or similar system. Can anybody help me, or direct me to somewhere you know might be able to

Thanks
Xanthor

bento

Explorer
Someone created and posted a homebrew version that you can sometimes find online. It uses D&D 3.0 rules, so you have to do some conversions on the critters.

I found it using Google, but it didn't come up in the quick search I just did. You might play around with the terms a bit and see what you come up with.

darth xanthor

First Post
bento said:
Someone created and posted a homebrew version that you can sometimes find online. It uses D&D 3.0 rules, so you have to do some conversions on the critters.

I found it using Google, but it didn't come up in the quick search I just did. You might play around with the terms a bit and see what you come up with.

Do you remember who built the system or where is was?
Thanks btw for the help

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
Or you could just give everything pseudonatural templates and play Pokethulu d20

But as a general rule decreasing size cat to between Tiny and large while swapping SoDs for save or "paralyzed" and subdual substitution would work. Pokeballs could be built as magic items fairly simply.

SilvercatMoonpaw2 said:
There's a product from Octivirate called Collectabeasts! which offers a template for d20 monsters that converts them into smaller, less deadly version suitable for Pokémon-ish creatures.

I really like what I've read of Collectabeasts and wish I could get something going with it. Unfortunately, the group I've got is pretty narrow in terms of what they want so Collectabeasts has simply sat on my hardrive.

darth xanthor said:
Do you remember who built the system or where is was?
Thanks btw for the help

I'm not sure if this is what he's referring to, but it's what I found when I did a google search for "Pokemon D&D": http://www.scshop.com/~ritaxis/

Ranger REG said:
There is a BESM d20, complete with a Pet Monster Trainer class.

I've got some serious love for BESMd20. It's not a perfect system (and I dislike how BESMd20 went with combat being a skill instead of just staying with BAB), but it's got a lot of potential.

If you can find a copy of the Stingy Gamer's Edition, pick it up and you'll be good to go. You can get the pdf version here: http://enworld.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=1&products_id=374&it=1

Don't believe the Amazon sellers that are trying to sell their copies for $50+. That's crazy. The book itself sold in FLGS for $10. I see a copy for sale on Ebay for $8, and it looks like there's some copies over in the U.K. depending on how badly you want it.

Note that there's a few different Stingy Gamer edition books out there. The Silver Age Sentinels one is different from the BESMd20.

Of course, Guardians of Order was nice enough to SRD the BESMd20 system in the form of the Anime SRD. So if you don't mind a presentation that's a bit more boring (but has all the rule bits you'll want) you can just get the Anime SRD and save yourself a few bucks.
The Guardians of Order site has finally disappeared, but you can still get the Anime SRD here:
http://www.opengamingfoundation.org/animesrd.html

As an additional bonus, GoO did a breakdown (unfortunately it's not a detailed breakdown) of what the core D&D classes look like when converted over into Anime SRD terms. Whether you agree with their way of costing things or not isn't important. What is important is that it gives you a baseline to look at the other classes as well as the abilities and so forth, and then make modifications as you feel from there. They included that as part of the Anime SRD, which is a really nice bonus. Usually that's the kind of thing that wouldn't be included in an SRD.

Combine Collectabeasts with the Anime SRD and you should be good to go. If you want to get crazy into designing monsters and stuff, that's a whole other topic. :D

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Though its not perfect choice, it is also possible to do a pokemon d20 game using Mutants and Masterminds. In fact, I'm willing to bet that the upcomming Mutans and Masterminds Mecha & Manga book will feature information on how to do a "Pokemon-esque" campaign.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads