• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

POL fluff Forked From: MM2 Preview Starspawn

Phaezen

Adventurer
Forked from: MM2 Preview Starspawn

I like that these are the very same beings that star warlocks derive power from. Caiphon, Acamar, Hadar, Gibbeth, Zhudun, etc. show up in the names of warlock spells/curses. I'd love it if these guys out as epic level threats. Imagine what happens when a star-warlock is forced to fight his patron. :)

I am actually really liking that even though there isn't a default setting, the fluff is consistant between the various sourcebooks.

I'm developing the opinion that 4e actually has the strongest default setting ever, because so much crunch is associated with the default setting... it might not have a name, but in every other respect...

Cheers!

So very true. Just look through the MP PPs, the PoL default fluff is all over the place. To be honest 4E remind me somewhat of Monte's Arcane Unearthed in this respect. The crunch and the fluff mix constantly.

This is something I am enjoying alot about the 4e fluff/crunch mix is that the fluff is there even if it just names, each book and DDI article adds a bit more to it and it is consistent between the various sources. It gives some nice platforms to develop the default world but it not so overwhelming that it causes problems if you decide to ignore it when developing a homebrew such as having Greyhawk or Forgotten Realms as the default would.

chaotix42

First Post
I'm really liking the PoL stuff too. It's thick with implied flavor, enough to build great stories on your own, but not so much that it's overwhelming to try and fit it into alternate settings. I'm having such a good time DMing my current PoL game that I'm not really interested in switching over to Eberron (an old favorite) when it comes out - just looking to mine the book for ideas/monsters.

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
This is something I am enjoying alot about the 4e fluff/crunch mix is that the fluff is there even if it just names, each book and DDI article adds a bit more to it and it is consistent between the various sources. It gives some nice platforms to develop the default world but it not so overwhelming that it causes problems if you decide to ignore it when developing a homebrew such as having Greyhawk or Forgotten Realms as the default would.

I tend to dislike the 4e fluff. However, I know it could have been a lot worse. I'm glad that we went through that whole Emerald Frost thing pre-release to let the developers know that we're not interested in having the default setting dominate every homebrew setting.

I actually do like the level of compromise that has been reached. If it weren't for the tragic portmanteau naming conventions that the current crop of fluff writers is so fond of, I'd probably be generally pleased with the fluff/crunch balance. As it is, I don't anticipate it intruding on any games I run in Greyhawk.

Remove ads