• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Polearm Master vs Great Weapon Master

Runny

First Post
Can't decide which I like better for my Bladelock. Thoughts? I plan on starting fighter 1 then multiclassing Warlock. I want to have Armor of Agathys and Hex running most of the time. Polearm allows me to get more uses of Hex. GWM allows me to wail on prone baddies with +10 to damage. Thoughts?

Btw -- I plan on choosing one or the other... I need my other feats for Str and Cha boosts. If I go Polearm, I'll prolly pick up Warcaster too at some point.

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
I'd double-check polearm master + war caster with the DM first. Personally I'm not sure I'd allow it. But if you're using one of your precious spell slots on armor of agathys, why not take heavy armor master instead? That's more hits you get to take while reflecting damage...

Runny

First Post
I forgot to mention that I started with HAM as a human variant. It is the perfect synergy with Armor of Agathys.

Just in from Mearls: no Eldritch Blast with Polearm Master. Still, it is awesome to get an extra whack in, especially with Hex on.

As for the porcupine warlock, that is the idea. Although Hellish Rebuke is out because no casting while wielding a two-handed weapon (HR has VS components). This can be overcome on your turn via the free interaction, but it makes VS impossible as reactions. Besides, I'd rather use my other slot to cast Armor of Agathys again or Hex if I lose concentration.

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
I think I started with War caster to allow the hellish rebuke (along with help on concentration and the cool spell aoo thing). But yeah, it's hard to find enough feats to enable all the sweet combos for this class without gimping strength or charisma.

Runny

First Post
Gonna start fighter to reduce the need for adv on Concentration saves. Heavy Armor Mastery is the best spell in the game to start with. It also means that at third level, monsters need to do 13 damage in one blow to take out Armor of Agathys. Else they are taking a min of 20 points of cold damage.

brehobit

Explorer
Just in from Mearls: no Eldritch Blast with Polearm Master. Still, it is awesome to get an extra whack in, especially with Hex on.
I'd be surprised were it otherwise. But could you point me to where this is coming from? His twitter feed?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads