• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Poll: As a player, I am always justified in pursuing every advantage I find, no matter what.

As a player, I am always justified in pursuing every advantage I find, no matter what.

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
"Outside of the rules" is incredibly nebulous. It could even be used to imply situations where you trade IRL favors for in-game bonuses.

The original "pay to win" system! "If I buy pizza for the DM, maybe he'll give me that holy avenger I've been wanting for my Paladin!"
It is kind of interesting. So yeah, the pizza buyer here is behaving cheesily(ahem).. but..is it a bad thing to reward good table citizenship with in-game advantages?

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
It is kind of interesting. So yeah, the pizza buyer here is behaving cheesily(ahem).. but..is it a bad thing to reward good table citizenship with in-game advantages?
It's another fine line. On one level, you're acknowledging someone did a cool thing. On another, it's basically dropping a few bucks on a "loot box".

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I would say no. If it’s within the rules (both the game rules and any house/table rules) then sure. Once you go outside of the rules, that crosses the line into potentially disruptive play, in my opinion.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
However, I have been known to go out of my way to "bust" house rules. I always bring them up to the DM first, but if they ignore me, I have no problem shrugging and exploiting them. Maybe that's wrong of me, but something about knowing about an unintended exploit bothers me.

I mean, if you're going to patch the game to fix a problem, it shouldn't create a new one.

Pretty much exactly what it says on the tin.

If you as a player see an advantage you could exploit, whatever it might be, whether in the rules or outside them, are you always justified in pursuing it?
i had this argument back in 4e with a guy that is no longer in our group... my argument then (to a man that smoked, was overweight, and spent hours on nerd hobbies with us...

"Do you agree that knowing the right people is the most important thing to getting ahead? Do you understand that there are things you should be doing to be healthy? Do you do those things?"

I mean in the real world if I was a minmaxer I would eat much healthier and work out more and spend at least half the time I do on D&D on trying to get face time with people that could help my career... the fact that not only I don't but MOST of us don't tells me that we shouldn't be always taking the best paths in game

Remove ads