• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [Poll] Cleric Satisfaction Survey

How Satisfied are You With the Cleric Class?

• Very satisfied as written

Votes: 46 39.7%
  • Mostly satisfied, a few minor tweaks is all I need/want

Votes: 51 44.0%
  • Dissatisfied, major tweaks would be needed

Votes: 12 10.3%
  • Very dissatisfied, even with houserules and tweaks it wouldn't work

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Ambivalent/don't play/other

Votes: 5 4.3%

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Isn't 14 where the melee clerics get +1d8 damage again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is. A small combat boost for melee clerics. I don't think the caster clerics get anything but maybe +wisdom to cantrips was considered enough.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
If I had one complaint, it that the domain list is too short. I enjoyed the much more substantive 3e list, and I frequently find myself missing it in my campaign (which has hundreds of gods)

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
If I had one complaint, it that the domain list is too short. I enjoyed the much more substantive 3e list, and I frequently find myself missing it in my campaign (which has hundreds of gods)
Although it only solves it a little in that the lists will still only consist of 10 spells, I'd recommend customising the domain spell lists for the god. For instance with 3 trickery deities you might have one with more spells dealing with darkness while the others have more enchantments or more illusions.

Mind you, I also think it is worth customising domains in general. Tempest might be a good domain for Thor but perhaps a priest of Zeus acts more like a caster with more spells which allow them to throw lightning and the potent spellcasting ability instead of divine strike.

Vondren

First Post
As a new player to D&D 5e I'm really liking my dwarven cleric, I played a little of 1st edition back in the day but not enough to really remember what I did, I'm really enjoying reading what everyone has to say here, I know my next character will be a cleric again but with a few different changes. I'm just happy to be able to share this experience with my 12 year old as we found a new group in our home town to play with. Been a great experience so far.

Isn't 14 where the melee clerics get +1d8 damage again?

Oh, yes, that does increase then. I remember one of the players at the table being irritated by level 14 because they got no additional spell slots or spell levels, and no relevant ability (CR 2 undead are wholly irrelevant at level 14 outside of contrived circumstances that destroy undead wouldn't really save you from). However, that character didn't participate in melee at all, so the melee damage was also irrelevant. The Cleric doing 3d8+3 is much less impressive than the Fighter doing 6d6+21 or the Paladin doing 4d8+14.

That's also a weird ability. It's ostensibly a subclass ability, but in reality there are only two options among 7-9 subclasses: Divine Strike or Potent Cantrip. Honestly, it'd be nice if that were a class level choice the player made. The different damage types could be handled with the domain description.

And I still think the War Cleric should get Extra Attack at 8. If Valor Bard gets it, so should War Cleric.

Remove ads