*POLL* Do You Feel That Greyhawk is a Dead Campaign Officially?

How would You Rate Greyhawk Support?

Alaric_Prympax

First Post
I had typed up a huge rant but decided not to post it. :mad:

Greyhawk was barely supported. :(

A HUGE thank you to Erik Mona and Paizo for their work and efforts in Dragon and Dungeon magazines for Greyhawk. :cool:

I'm happy to see the 1st on-line issue of the magazines will have Greyhawk material but those articles have been in the works for a while. Let's see how much Greyhawk material will be in them in a year now that Erik is no longer in control. Although I hope that it will continue I doubt there will be any. :(

Mortellan

Explorer
Greyhawk endures like no other setting. It cannot be killed because the fans, though splintered won't let it. It will be back and when it does I'll be there this time. I won't miss out on the resurgence again.

I don't know how you can say Greyhawk gets next to no support in one breath and then say it's deader than a doornail in another. If it's getting any support whatsoever, it's not dead. And Greyhawk is most certainly still getting support (who knows in 4E). It may not be getting the support we want, but it's not dead. Dark Sun is more dead than Greyhawk.

Tumbler

First Post
It would be awesome if they hadn't rolled up all the liscenses and had instead left Dragonlance with sovereign and let paizo take over greyhawk.

heirodule

First Post
howandwhy99 said:
It suffers from MPD. It's fans don't even agree on what it is anymore. Is it 1980/83? WARS? Late 90's? or Living Greyhawk? The setting has splintered again and again. .

I think that was an excuse offered by WOTC designers to avoid supporting a "legacy" setting (their term at WF 2004). If they built it, enough people will have come.

I would think it would be really interesting if the Exped 2 Ruins of Greyhawk outsold all the other exped books, and wotc still didn't get the message. Quizzing them about Expedition sales figures will be high on my priority list at WF 2008.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
I guess I never saw it alive, really.

When I started playing (1e) we just used generic homegrown stuff of our own. Later, I played in the Realms, and then played & DM'd in homebrews.

It'd be nice to see a "defragmentation" of all the various stuff out there before I decide if I care about its survival. :)

Cheers, -- N

WayneLigon

Adventurer
It wasn't dead enough. There were the Dragon articles for the faiths, Dungeon adventures set there, a couple campaign setting things. Maybe now, it can just get left and something new can be introduced in it's place. I'm tired of seeing the same setting getting product made for it, since that means one less new and innovative product gets approved.

This is Shark's response to getting jumped on in another thread. Just relax, Shark. You don't have to run about willy nilly just because someone says you're wrong.

Greyhawk is still supported, by the way. What the heck would you call Expedition to Castle Greyhawk?

Last edited:

Dykstrav

Adventurer
I love Greyhawk myself. The Free City is a wonderful place to set adventures, and several of the good classics I truly enjoyed are set in Greyhawk (Temple of Elemental Evil comes immediately to mind). When I first started playing 3E, I had abandoned 2E for almost a year in favor of the World of Darkness games. The fact that Greyhawk was the default setting for 3E was one of the things that convinced me to take a serious look at 3E.

For 4E, I'd really like to see a brand-new setting. Greyhawk is indeed awesome, but I get the feeling that some fresh scenery would do alot to unify the fan base. Give us a new setting, with new awesome adventures that we'll reminisce about twenty years from now.

A Greyhawk hardcover is defiinitely something I'd buy- I'd love to see it supported at least a little. But I'm not holding my breath.

Remove ads