*POLL* Do You Feel That Greyhawk is a Dead Campaign Officially?

How would You Rate Greyhawk Support?

Minicol

Adventurer
Supporter
Dykstrav said:
For 4E, I'd really like to see a brand-new setting. Greyhawk is indeed awesome, but I get the feeling that some fresh scenery would do alot to unify the fan base. Give us a new setting, with new awesome adventures that we'll reminisce about twenty years from now.

A Greyhawk hardcover is defiinitely something I'd buy- I'd love to see it supported at least a little. But I'm not holding my breath.

I mostly agree with you. I am torn between the desire to always have updated material, and te desire to see something really new. A good compromise would be a new fresh world with plenty adventures, as you say, and a big shiny update book for the others

Keldryn

Adventurer
I think that a brand new setting would probably work better for 4E. Greyhawk just feels very much in the OD&D/AD&D 1e traditions, and retrofitting it to versions of the game that move farther and farther away from that tradition just forces changes that are likely to bother tha faithful.

I can see a single hardcover setting book for 4E for those Greyhawk fans who want it, but I don't really see it as a viable product line at this point in time. Much like Eberron was build upon the assumptions of 3.5e, the best setting for 4E would likely be a world that is built upon its assumptions.

T. Foster

First Post
I'd like to think that Greyhawk is finally officially dead, and that the setting which, IMO, actually died the moment Gary Gygax left TSR, will finally be allowed to rest in peace. However, knowing the dedication and vehemence of the necrophiliac Greyhawk fanbase, I strongly suspect that sooner or later they'll convince WotC to drag the old corpse out for yet another round of degradation...

Glyfair

Explorer
The problem with this "poll" is it assumes omniscience on my part. I have no idea what the plans are right now.

It has been stated that the recent Greyhawk product sales will be looked at to decide whether to go deeply into Greyhawk again. At the time it was said we didn't know that they knew their campaign setting plans for the next couple of years. Now that we do, I can certainly see good sales of this product moving towards the top of the list for the "annual setting."

Of course, I have no idea how well it is selling. So I can't make any absolute statements for Greyhawk. I don't even know what setting is going to be used for the late 2008 RPGA campaigns. I suspect it's 50-50 between Eberron and Greyhawk. If Scott is willing to send me the sales numbers, of course, I'd be more than willing to vote.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
I wish the poll was better phrased. Because, IMO, through Living Greyhawk, and occassional references in the Core products, it was adequate. So that's what I voted. Currently.

However, with LG being terminated and Greyhawk being removed from Core assuptions, I would have voted the bottom choice were I voting on the impending future.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
T. Foster said:
. . . the necrophiliac Greyhawk fanbase . . .
That's the second time I've noticed you say this, though I would bet you have used this phrase more often. It's like you think it is clever or something. Is there some reason you don't think this is offensive and over the line?

Last edited:

Lurks-no-More

First Post
Howndawg said:
What I would love to see is a Greyhawk setting with a first edition feel; forget about everything that happened in the world since EGG left and put out a supplement that captures the feel of the golden age of AD&D. This might bring some old grognards back into the fold.
I really doubt that this could happen. Those grognards have been running their own campaigns with tons fan-made stuff for years now; no matter what WotC (or whoever else) will do, the published Greyhawk will never match their own Greyhawk.

Treebore

First Post
Greyhawk has been dead since 1E. I would probably feel different if I was in the RPGA, but as far as "official" support goes, its been dead since 1E. A bone thrown out here and there just didn't, and doesn't, cut it with me.

Sorry you RPGA people have had the rug pulled out from under you.

Remove ads