• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

*POLL* Do You Feel That Greyhawk is a Dead Campaign Officially?

How would You Rate Greyhawk Support?

+5 Keyboard!

First Post
Just a prediction here, but I think in a not-too-distant time in the future, diehard Greyhawk fans will be adopting Paizo Publishing's world of Golarion (home to their GameMastery and Pathfinder adventures) as their new World of Greyhawk. Having seen Erik Mona's plans and a fairly full geographical layout of the setting, the grognards and newer GH enthusiasts will find an undeniably familiar and nostalgic feel to it that will draw them in just as Greyhawk did. Mark my words. ;)

Mortellan

Explorer
+5 Keyboard! said:
Just a prediction here, but I think in a not-too-distant time in the future, diehard Greyhawk fans will be adopting Paizo Publishing's world of Golarion (home to their GameMastery and Pathfinder adventures) as their new World of Greyhawk. Having seen Erik Mona's plans and a fairly full geographical layout of the setting, the grognards and newer GH enthusiasts will find an undeniably familiar and nostalgic feel to it that will draw them in just as Greyhawk did. Mark my words. ;)
I wish paizo the best of luck and you too Steve, keep up the good work. I'll keep a passing interest but you know where I'll be stationed at. While we are musing on predictions though, hypothetically if Wizards offered Greyhawk to paizo lock stock and barrel tomorrow, I bet they'd drop Golarion like a bad habit, because surely they wouldn't have the energy to do both.

Mercule

Adventurer
Mortellan said:
So much for Eberron, eh? ;)

Hey, I like Eberron -- quite a bit, actually. I just don't think it makes a good default world for D&D.

I'm more wondering what the apparent Iron Heroes influences in 4E are going to mean for mechanics in Eberron. "Points of light in the dark" and all that.

It meets my needs. Which are... none. I'm not particularly fond of Greyhawk.

That said, I'm surprised at the numbers. I know that y'all all say that all the official books happening in Greyhawk is more lip service rather than real material, but I'm always surprised by how many Greyhawkisms that don't necessarily belong in any other setting are rife... RIFE! throughout all the books and adventures. For those of us who don't use Greyhawk, it can be a little annoying.

tylerthehobo

Explorer
None of the 3E support materials really worked for me as a "campaign setting" - I generally had to dig deeper into the realms of old school stuff, and even then - very few of the campaign setting products were as thorough as what we've come to expect from the past 8 years...

an_idol_mind

Explorer
I don't know what the big deal with setting support is, anyway. My homebrew has never had any supplements published for it, but it's definitely not dead, as the setting changes every week. When I ran published setting like the Forgotten Realms, slavishly following the campaign's supporting continuity made the world feel more dead to me than ignoring it.

I also don't see why Greyhawk's fans are so worried about the setting receiving support. Is there really any way besides hiring Gygax to do the core book and all related supplements that WotC could appease Greyhawk fans? Considering how many people feel that Greyhawk has been routinely screwed up since the 1990s, I'd expect more fans to be happy it's not getting official support in 2008.

grodog

Hero
Dykstrav said:
I love Greyhawk myself. The Free City is a wonderful place to set adventures, and several of the good classics I truly enjoyed are set in Greyhawk (Temple of Elemental Evil comes immediately to mind). When I first started playing 3E, I had abandoned 2E for almost a year in favor of the World of Darkness games. The fact that Greyhawk was the default setting for 3E was one of the things that convinced me to take a serious look at 3E.

Ditto. I quit D&D when Greyhawk (and 2e) lost demons/monks/assassins, and only returned to D&D when they brought Greyhawk "back."

IanB said:
In terms of sheer volume, Greyhawk gets more support than any other setting, via the RPGA

That's simply not true.

All of that RPGA material is *not* available to the public. I want information on Perrenland? I have to move to Australia, run gamedays to get mods, and then I can piece together some information about Perrenland from 9 different adventures.

Oh, and I need some information about Onwall. I'll just hop my lear jet over to England and repeat the process.

Of course, all the events of specials and interactives will not be included, so major plot points might be missing.

And I'll repeat that process *every year* for *every Greyhawk region* in the RPGA LG campaign.

That's not support at all.

An Eberron fan or a Forgotten Realms fan can buy several books a year.

That is support.

They don't have to piece together information from 9 different adventures, so they can try and guess what's happening in a single region.

Don't get me wrong. I love the LG regional system. It was a lot of fun to play in (and will continue to be a lot of fun for the next 16 months).

And I'm glad that Eberron fans and FR fans have setting material out the wazoo. (I have played in 3 FR games (sadly, short-lived games), and currently play in an Eberron game that has been running for three years.)

But please don't insult the intelligence of the average Greyhawk plan by claiming that GH fans get tons of support via the RPGA. It's a totally different kind of material--and most Greyhawk fans don't get to see 99% of that material.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads