D&D 5E Poll for PC's with 4 or more levels in a class.

My current (or last PC with 4 or more levels) has 4 or more levels in:

Hussar

Legend
The recent fighter threads have got me to wondering. It's taken as a given that fighters are the most popular class. And, looking at my own group, that's certainly true. Of the last 4 campaigns, we've had 24 PC's, and about 7 or 8 of them have had fighter levels. Absolutely the most popular class.

Up to 3rd level.

Thing is, I see fighters as far more of a dip class. If I exclude the first three levels, then suddenly, out of those 24 PC's, only 2 have been fighters (and neither single classed). Fighter stops being the most popular and is actually down need the middle of the pack with several other classes being more popular with me and my players.

So, I'm wondering if that's just me and my feelings about the fighter are strongly biased by what is happening at my table, or is this more widespread? Thus, the poll. So, of your current or last character with 4 or more levels in a class, what class is it?

I'm not a player, but if I ever am one, I always choose the full support class (so basically Cleric in D&D).

I had two D&D groups so far.
One LMoP for all new players using the recommended default characters: 2x Fighter, 1x Cleric, 1x Wizard and 1x Rogue.
One PotA with 4 experienced players: 1x Rogue, 1x Druid, 1x Warlock, 1x Monk
And someone new to D&D recently joined who plays a Fighter.

I guess you could say Fighter is a popular choice among players new to D&D because it's the least rule-overwhelming class.

Imaro

Legend
I'm curious why only your current or last PC? 5e has been out for a couple of years so shouldn't you be looking to see how many people have played straight fighters over that time period as opposed to just the current or last PC they played?

EDIT: For example we just started a new game where the player who played a straight BM in our previous campaign is now playing a cleric (and I played an EK with no dip in another class)... according to your poll he couldn't put fighter but instead would have to put cleric since it's the lat class he's played to 4th level or higher... even though he's played a straight fighter to a higher level than he has the current cleric...

Coroc

Hero
There are those People who sometimes Play a fighter and there are those People who always want to Play a fighter since it normally has the least mechanical gonzos (For 5e Champion this is applying BM not so much).

Some of these like the fighter, maybe because IRL they are not the super athletic type or maybe because they are and IRL ist rare occasion that muscle beats brain at least in civilized surroundings.
They also might want to concentrate more on RPing of a distinctive personality.
Maybe they cannot identify well with the fictive Magic of D&D or the Moral implications of being a rogue.
Only the fighter is truely neutral from an agenda point of view. The range is from pacifist to murderous maniac, no other class offers that.
The mage needs his spellbook, the rogue his tools the cleric his Symbol, the fighter just needs his strength and maybe a stone or a stick.

And as you can see the poll already says 30% fighters, as to be expected.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I'm curious why only your current or last PC?
You heard the 'bet' in that last thread, he's trying to engineer a proxy for class popularity that won't spit out 'fighter,' in spite of it perennially being the most popular class...

(I've heard a lot of folks (or maybe the same guy a lot of times, in different threads), mention that they mostly DM, but when they play, like to play a Fighter.)

Edit: 42 65 respondents in, the poll's spitting out fighter. Anyone surprised?

Last edited:

Sacrosanct

Legend
We always have at least one fighter in our group. Often two. Only one has been multi-classed ( a fighter 2/warlock X). In that case, it was clearly a dip class. Of the PCs I have played (I DM most of the time):

battlemaster single class fighter
champion single class fighter
another champion fighter single class (but halfling with urchin and dungeon delver feats so I played him like a f/t)
shadow monk
tempest cleric
assassin rogue
trickster rogue
hunter ranger
druid/barbarian (Barak from Pawn of Prophesy)

As discussed in those other threads, your table does seem to be more of an exception rather than the rule, and I suspect the fighter option here will get plenty of votes, even if the poll criteria is really wonky (as Imaro explained). I think a better poll option would have been, "When you play a fighter, do you play it as a dip class, or does it account for the majority of your total levels for that PC?"

Last edited:

Remove ads