• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

POLL: Furry Races

What kind of "Furry" PC race do you prefer?

• I like sentient animals.

Votes: 51 30.4%
  • I like anthropomorphic bipedal animal-men with definite species (like in Savage Species).

Votes: 75 44.6%
  • I like animal-men of indeterminate species (like in Eberron)

Votes: 44 26.2%
  • I like shapechangers with animal, hybrid, & fully manlike forms (like in Oriental Adventures).

Votes: 55 32.7%
  • I don't like any "furry" races.

Votes: 54 32.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 13 7.7%

I don't think I can really vote on this one.

I don't have a problem with such races, but

1) Don't call them furry. That makes them look bad. I promise I won't link to Something Awful ... yeah, that bad.

2) I think the number of species should be limited. I don't mind if kattas (or whatever) are commonplace, but not kattas, badgermen, dogfolk, quillfolk (porcupine people), pandarens and dozens of other types.

Thurbane

First Post
Speaking for myself, my favorite furry races are the existing ones from the various MM: gnolls, bugbears, minotaurs, catfolk, ibixians etc.

...although the campaign I have been running has an awakened warhorse as part of the party...

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
I like sentient animals, bipedal animal-men (which are the only ones I would consider "furry races") and OA-style shapeshifters.

I'm not too fond of Shifters.

Doug McCrae

Legend
In defence of catgirls, here is a picture of Tigra.

Tigra_001.jpg

Brazeku

First Post
I'm perfectly fine with vaguely mammalian races, or really anything based on broad concepts: reptiles, crustaceans, etc. As long as the racial development is good, interesting, and the race is sensible for the environment, I think they can add a lot to a campaign. I run a game with 63 races, so I guess you could say I'm a bit of a race/culture junkie.

However, what I really, really dislike is when people just stick animal heads on humanoid bodies. An example... Ever played the game Vanguard? Well first, don't, but if you do, be sure to check out the plane-hopping cat people with symbiotic slimes. Why are they cat people? Why slimes? :):):):) if I know. Races like that, ones that read like someone just pulled a bunch of concepts out of a hat, are a no-go.

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
I've got no problems at all with it, my homebrews generally feature them more prominently than the majority of existing PHB races. I've both played in and run campaigns where the PCs never even encountered one of the more standard races as anything more than a rumor of a legend who live "way off over that sea/mountain range/etc"

EDIT: Hey I'm not at the bottom of the geek hierarchy yet better get back to work. :p

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I voted:

I like animal-men of indeterminate species (like in Eberron)
I like shapechangers with animal, hybrid, & fully manlike forms (like in Oriental Adventures).

In truth, I don't have a problem with any of them, so long as they aren't extremely commonplace.

Nadaka

First Post
I go for the sophontist (damn it, sentience != intelligence) animals. I've actually had a bard cat as an NPC at one point.

Cadfan

First Post
I like sentient animals. What's not to love about a wolf pc? Sentient wolves have featured in plenty of fantasy novels, and I for one wouldn't mind including them in my game.

I also like shapechangers, but I don't like hybrid forms. Why complicate things?

I don't like anthropomorphic animal-people of specific species, but I know people who do, and I don't begrudge them their fun.

Remove ads