D&D 5E [poll] Monk Satisfaction Survey

How Satisfied are You With the Monk Class?

• Very satisfied as written

Votes: 23 25.6%
  • Mostly satisfied, a few minor tweaks is all I need/want

Votes: 44 48.9%
  • Dissatisfied, major tweaks would be needed

Votes: 17 18.9%
  • Very dissatisfied, even with houserules and tweaks it wouldn't work

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Ambivalent/don't play/other

Votes: 4 4.4%

MarkB

Legend
What I miss, is a subclass which would be a more western option. For those of us who do not want to be a monk a karate kid or a teenage mutant ninja turtle or a kung fu panda, but rather a brother tuck from robin hood.

I can see that, but what does Friar Tuck have game-mechanically that you want to emulate? The European monk doesn't have much of a history as a combat character. We don't have much in the way of pseudo-magical medieval fantasy concepts for them either, and what we do have is largely covered by the Cleric.

Coroc

Hero
I can see that, but what does Friar Tuck have game-mechanically that you want to emulate? The European monk doesn't have much of a history as a combat character. We don't have much in the way of pseudo-magical medieval fantasy concepts for them either, and what we do have is largely covered by the Cleric.

Maybe a favoured soul with sorcerer like mechanics and only cleric spells but with a knack on unarmoured staff or fist combat.

I am totally with your argument, but that is the reason I do not allow the monk as a default class in my campaigns because it forces me as a DM to retrofit some far eastern element into a game world where there is no fit for it.

Coroc

Hero
Maybe a favoured soul with sorcerer like mechanics and only cleric spells but with a knack on unarmoured staff or fist combat.

Maybe also a religious fighter BM with grappler, tavern brawle,r and polearm master using a quarterstaff, maybe a warlock pact of the blade but re-skinned a bit

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
That's okay. Bayesian analysis involves collecting all the evidence both for and against a hypothesis, and then basically multiplying all of the evidence by the prior to get the final probability. Sometimes even a true theory has evidence against it; but it winds up getting outweighed by the evidence for it.

In any case, right now I'm just collecting evidence. No worries about me taking a given piece of evidence too seriously.

Interesting.

Found it! http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?521614-The-classes-that-nobody-wants-to-play

Valmarius

First Post
I'm currently playing a Shadow Monk 6 / Diviner 2 in a Roll20 game.
As mentioned, the mobility is the big attraction for me. In our last session I managed to move some 105ft, some of it vertical, to stunning strike a spellcaster that was dropping fireballs on the party in an enclosed cavern. Saved us from taking a ton of damage.

The Monk is pretty MAD, but can still multiclass effectively if the secondary class doesn't rely on ANOTHER stat too much. For example, my PC has spells like shield, feather fall, jump, etc. that just don't rely on my spell save, letting me leave his INT at 13.

But why aren't all those people unwilling to vote a monk note their dissatisfaction (or apathy) here? If 2/3 of people are unwilling to play a monk, then the results should be different...

Selection bias: more people are motivated to respond to a survey about all classes than about specific ones. For example, I would take a survey about all classes, but nothing would get me to even check out a thread focused around a ranger survey, since the last 100 ranger threads have been long and repetitive.

That isn't even getting into reliability issues of convenience sample surveys....

MarkB

Legend
I'm currently playing a Shadow Monk 6 / Diviner 2 in a Roll20 game.
As mentioned, the mobility is the big attraction for me. In our last session I managed to move some 105ft, some of it vertical, to stunning strike a spellcaster that was dropping fireballs on the party in an enclosed cavern. Saved us from taking a ton of damage.

I had a similar experience this evening, playing a newly-second-level Monk. We were in a mine where someone had essentially set up a rolling-boulder bowling alley - a 60-ft-long sloped corridor, with a vertical lip at the far end, over which a couple of figures were toppling massive boulders to roll down into our chamber.

So I spent a Ki point to Dash, ran and jumped up the corridor, and took down one of the two figures - who turned out to be skeletons - in one hit.

It was a great way to introduce the other players to my character's Ki powers, though it could easily have gone horribly wrong if there'd been more enemies up there.

Remove ads