[poll] OOC/DM points

Should we have OOC points, if so how?

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
I just think that "you have to count every single gp you get, and painstakingly link each amount of gp to the post that you received it in" (which is what you'd have to do or else it'd be chaos) isn't gonna be popular.
That is exactly the LEW/LEB system---part of the character log is logging treasure rewards and large payouts. Small stuff, not as much, though technically it should be there).

Graf

Explorer
In response to your comment
Hmm, that's a new idea to me. I've always done exactly what you describe: keep a running total with links to the posts in which gold changes hands. But it's an idea I'll have to think about. I'm not quite as convinced as you are that gold is old and busted and magic items are the new hotness. If nothing else, we will surely end up with players wanting to craft their own magic items, which takes gold, which means you need to keep an eye on how much gold you have.

I can only quote myself
Graf said:
I expect that we'll agree that gp that's handed out in adventures will be understood to be "liquid assets" (i.e. spent on equipment) and that you're character's actual wealth will be somewhat fluid.

There are problems with my suggestion I'm sure. But I have actually thought about the obvious and simple things.

To repeat: I'm not saying we "abolish gold" I'm just saying we say "gold that's explicitly handed out in adventures is "liquid wealth for the purchase of equipment (magic items, etc)" ".

And I think we need to be reasonable, if wizards is balancing magic items directly then we need to think about it.

Wizards specifically has set magic item sale price at 20% of it's "gp value" to limit the gold->magic items magic items -> gold relationship that borked 3.5.

It's a new edition... we should consider the possibility that changes that were made were good changes.

Bront

The man with the probe
I realy think that the points as done in LEB/LEW work out very well, and don't need much tweeking. You didn't have a money option, which I think is a good idea (better than magic items directly, as money has other uses). If you allow them to be used for too much, you punish players who don't do anything else, and if you make things exclusive to OOC points, it can be a big turn off to others who don't have or can't get them.

Graf

Explorer
We'll leave it open for a few more days but it looks like

1. Points for DMing only
and
2. points can only be spent on xp

will be the decision.

covaithe

Explorer
I concur.

One point: What do you think this poll says about the question of time xp? I'm not sure, myself. It wasn't clear to me at the time I voted that the bottom option was talking about time xp, or I would have ticked that box. Now, maybe this only indicates the lack of reading comprehension that I so frequently display, but it's possible other people were confused by that, too. I'd like to hear other people's opinions before we conclude from this poll that we shouldn't have time xp.

stonegod

I think the issue of time XP for PCs is a separate one. It is clear that OOC points should not be used for the time XP part to me; other than that, its a bit more muddied. Only two people explicitly talked about time XP.

As I posted in another thread, w/o time XP, PCs in living worlds can stagnate.

Graf

Explorer
Nobody voted for it though....

There are lots of good ideas people didn't vote for...
I don't know that we can just redo polls because we think a decision is bad...

garyh

First Post

I think some of the options that have strong support in discussions but so-so in polls may be because large polls can be tough to convey subtle meanings. I'm not knocking the polls, they're great for getting the ball rolling and seeing the general gist of popular opinion. But we've had several polls where, after voting, people come around to another idea due to discussions.

stonegod

The Poll was about OCC Points. Adding the last item (about separate time XP) to it muddled the issue. Which I believed was discussed when the poll was created.

W/o time XP, PC advancement is going to crawl (as I've stated multiple times). Without a sense of advancement, PCs will abandon the game (happens in Living and non-Living PbPs all the time).

covaithe

Explorer
Four people voted for it, three in the poll and myself in comments. And, importantly, no one spoke out against it. Four yes votes without any no votes is a pretty high number for this poll, especially considering the procedural problems Stonegod has outlined. Consider: the next highest vote totals are 3s. Judge points got a 3, but two people spoke out directly against that, and two different people voted for "no points at all", which is indirectly a no vote. And the no points at all option got three votes, but those are opposed by all the people who voted for everything else.

I think I'm going to add "ignores NO votes" to my list of objections to the poll-based voting process.

Remove ads