• Dissatisfied, major tweaks would be needed

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Very dissatisfied, even with houserules and tweaks it wouldn't work

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ambivalent/don't play/other

Votes: 0 0.0%

pukunui

Legend
The only thing that bugs me about the rogue is Thieves' Cant. I can see why an actual thief and an assassin might know it, but a swashbuckler? I think it should be more of an optional thing.

It's overall the best-designed class in 5e. I certainly wouldn't object to a few quality-of-life tweaks here and there, but they really don't need them. Voted "very satisfied."

Thurmas

Explorer
I would prefer to see sneak attack be a subclass ability for the Assassin (taken in lieu of the attack action) gained at level 3, Assassinate moved to level 9, and the base rogue get two attacks at level 5. Otherwise, its a pretty good class.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I used to love rogues for their flexibility. In 5e I don't.

1. They're too DEX-focused. Most classes can produce competent builds without at least a 14 in the presumptive main stat. In my experience, Barbarians and Rogues are the classes that fail this test -- there should be diversity in builds, but there aren't. Charisma Rouges, Intelligence Rogues, Strength Rogues should exist much more than they do. (I've just started playing a Wisdom Rogue, but even still, a Dex 14 seems "needed").

2. They don't have a niche. As described above, Rogues are often though of as skill-monkeys or the high-damage striker. Neither of these holds true: Bards quickly outclass rogues as skill monkeys (and are supplemented by a full swathe of utility and healing spells); and the viability of sneak-attack damage is not obvious.

(I've seen many fighter-archers; few rogue-archers. A well-designed class should present a real choice for archer builds, with two different but equally viable possibilities. I feel that isn't there.)

3. Mundanity. I feel the hurt particularly since so few options for non-spellcasting classes exist. Fighter I feel is robust and diverse. I wish I felt the same for the Rogue.

One thing rogues do do, that I wish was exploited more is this:

4. Intersection with Backgrounds. I find this particularly robust, with the possibility of Acolyte Rogues, Sage Rogues, Craftsmen Rogues, Soldier Rogues. Each of these should be amazing. But I don't see the possibility of cool combinations being made often enough.

(Back during the 5e playtest, in the beforetimes, when they first introduced backgrounds, I wanted Rogues to have two backgrounds (and get their extra skills that way). I still think that would have been awesome -- rogues by their nature would be noble/thugs, or acolyte/soldiers, or charlatan/craftsmen, or whatever.)

The Rogue is well written, but sometimes (often?) poorly played.

Looking at the PHB, it appears mostly balanced to me, and in roleplay it gives a nice set of skills that others do not have. So, no overhaul is needed.

Unfortunately, most of the people who want to play anti-social, chaotic neutral, I-do-what-I-want-because-that-is-what-my-character-would-do will choose rogue. Therefore, a part of the player base of rogues need an overhaul! :)

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I dont like Sneak attack/backstab on my rogue. I dont like that the designers feel the need to create every class with the same combat usefulness. I would not care if they gave sneak attack only to the assassin and gave more skill/tools/utility to the rogue. I've seen many people complain that D&D is too much about combat, then when you have a class with a focus on a different pillar, the class is trashed because ''it suxx in combat''. I mean, combats in 5e are so fast, why would I mind being bad at combat? Nobody at my table complains when a charisma-dumped barbarian is a nuisance in every social encounters or the full-plated fighter screws the whole party stealthy approach.
So, I for one would prefer (its only my opinion, mind you), having something like the dungeon delver or/and skulker feat buit in the base class instead of having yet another combat feature to try to keep up with the GWM raging barbarian's DPR.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I am playing a rogue that is quite frankly poorly optimized (I had my reasons) in a pbp game and despite this he's a bit of a beast, as I am sure [MENTION=59816]FitzTheRuke[/MENTION] would atest... the 5e rogue is well done, great for the edition and should be a welcome addition to any party.

That being said, due to the background system, rogues are less "necessary " than before, as a well designed PC with the proper background can easily fill in the gap left in a rogue -less party.

On the other hand, said background system allows for the creation of a plethora of alt rogues, such as the rogue scholar.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using EN World mobile app

Great class. Strong identity in play, loads of options, feels different from a dex fighter, and has subclasses that let you go complex or simple, combat or intrigue focused. I'm not a fan of auto-succeeding skills at high levels - it totally drains any tension from challenges, and thus makes the Rogue less exciting in play - but then everything gets odd at high levels. The assassin subclass is not great either, and requires a high level of rules analysis from the player to make good use of. I would have said that the Thief was weak, but on the weekend I realised that the Thief in my LMoP game could throw a vial of holy water and attack on the same turn, which changed my opinion somewhat. Overall, it's a good class, and one that has consistent popularity.

Quickleaf

Legend
I agree with Charles. I voted "very satisfied" because, even though there are small changes I'd make (e.g adding read languages at 2nd, and upgrading it to detecting magical glyphs/writing/sigils/symbols at 10th instead of a bonus feat), Cunning Action is one of the most elegant and inspired design bits in 5e. I'd like to see more rogue subclasses build on top of Cunning Action like the Thief does with Fast Hands.

Remove ads