• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

poll: Star Trek race conversion

How should one adjudicate races in a Star Trek d20 setting?

• Find some way to balance the races (make Klingons more like Half-Orcs, for example)

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Create each race in detail, then use ECL to restrict player use to higher levels (make a Klingon mor

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • As option 2, but taking the Savage Species approach, splitting the super-race into its own class, wi

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Other (please post your suggestion)

Votes: 0 0.0%

Devon

First Post
Hi, folks,

I'm trying to work out some sort of d20 Star Trek supplement. I've been perusing "Blood & Space" as well as "Traveller d20" to get a basic system, and I found a skill-and-feat d20 psionics system which would probably work better for the Trek universe.

One obstacle upon which I keep falling is how to handle the super-races, such as Vulcans and Klingons.

If you would take a moment to vote on which strategy you think would be most fair, I would appreciate your input.

Many thanks,

- Devon

Geocorona

First Post
I voted for ECLs. Even though I think Klingons could be pared back to equal humans, any downward adjustments to make Vulcans equal would either be inaccurate or insufficient.

Blacksway

Rock Monkey
I voted for option 3 - with some buts...

We obviously have a lot of 'trek' history to go back on here and I think search for spock and some of the next generation episodes would give us some wonderful insight into how to create savage species style advancements for vulcans and klingons.

Most other species I'd just do the normal ECL way, just to save time :D

Krishnath

First Post
I suggest the ECL approach, just make sure that the base races (humans, klingon, ferengi, romulan, vulcan, betazed, and similar races) only have one starting HD (from a class of course).

While more exotic races (such as the founders) start with several HD.

At the start, players would be pretty limitied to only the ECL +0 races, while later on, they could try on the more 'demanding' races.

Hope this works for you, and as I mentioned somewhere else, I'm working on a Borg template... ;)

Devon

First Post
I certainly think races like the Founders, THolians, et al., would be pretty high in ECL.

My greatest concern is how to handle the powerful races that folks would expect to be allowed to play: Andorians, Klingons, Vulcans, or even Nausicaans.

- Devon

Krishnath

First Post
As I said, ECL those suckers, the players start as ECL +0 races (such as humans, romulans, and Betazed, which are all quite weak compared to other races), and when a player dies (a.k.a 'the redshirt syndrome') they can try somthing with a higher ECL. Simple and effective solution...

Remove ads