[POLL] What Kind of Story Hour Are You Writing?

What Kind of Story Hour are You Writing? (read explanation of categories b4 voting)

• The Straight Campaign Log

Votes: 0 0.0%

shilsen

Adventurer
My story hour began as a Straight Narrative Re-Telling, but over time (detailing 56 sessions, close to 150 entries and well over a year of time on ENWorld) has changed to become a Good Parts Version Story Hour. So I chose the latter as what I am doing now.

I should admit that my players and readers generally seem to describe it more as a "Oh My God - When Will The Suffering Stop?" Version Story Hour :)

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Good Parts Version. If someone really wants 1,000 words of dickering with merchants and long philosophical discussions between priests of different gods, just ask on the OOC thread and I'll reprint them there. Otherwise, I take the best moments from each and move on.

Mycanid

First Post
Fiction based on one of my favorite old modules featuring some NPC's that pop up in other adventures I wrote up ... sort of as a "origin" of how they wound up adventuring together kinda thing.

Note though ... I have not started the thread again. I wrote some of it before the crash and have been writing it in my notebooks, developing the story, since then... slowly. :\

Mallus

Legend
(Seeing as Rolzup, who writes the Story Hour of our campaign, pretty f-ing brilliantly, I might add, hasn't voted yet, I figuredt I should)

"The Chronicle of Burne, and Some Others of Lesser Importance" is Rolzup's brainchild. It's Burne's first personal journal as recorded by his snarky mechanical famalus, Abraxis the Ultimate Cat.

Seeing as there's no way to tell the "good parts version" from the the bad, it's pretty much everything that's happend in the campaign Burne's unmistakable point of view... The Story Hour also contains interludes of our slightly-reworked game emails, which shed some addtional light on the "story", such as it is, and excerpts from various CITY writers provide setting information, usually in the least efficient, though pretty damn clever, way possible.

I'm indebted to Rolzup for bring my game world to life here on the virtual pages of ENWorld. Dude, you rock, and, err skoal!

karianna

First Post
Campaign based Story Telling

I try to write a wrapper around what happens in the campaign, occasionally making up dialog as I go as my group aren't always in a sober state to be role playing :)

Ealli

First Post
I entered Journal even though it's not entirely first person. I'm definitely telling the tale primarily through one character's perspective, but writing in the third person and willing to include things which happen out of her sight. I prune and reshape a little, but most of the characters' meanderings are included.

sniffles

First Post
Mine are all first-person journals. I prefer that narrative style because it means that I as a player don't have to try to track everything that every other player-character does during the game. I can assume that sometimes my narrator/character doesn't see everything, or forgets or misinterprets some things.

Otherwise my natural tendency to be completely accurate would make my entries incredibly long, overly detailed and dull. And they would take even longer to write. This is supposed to be for fun, not a second job. I don't even get extra XP for writing them, except in one campaign. ;)

Shemeska

Adventurer
Mostly the good-parts version. At times there is significant NPC only interludes and cut-scenes to explain portions of the metaplot that ran through the campaign out of view of the PCs. It also lets me write more stuff with fiends ;)

And my 1st story hour is about fiends. 1k + pages of evil. Yummy yummy evil. It's also being written years in hindsight, so as time passes it's more a recreation of the campaign events than strictly following notes from each session (Storyhour 2 is much more in line with session notes).

One thing I don't do however is use rolls or game mechanics. It's a story, and any use or reference to those things except for an OOC post following an update talking about something at the gaming table would break it for me.

Remove ads