• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Poll] Who DOESN'T use minis?

Do you use Minis in your 3.x game?

• Yes, all the time.

Votes: 92 55.1%
  • No, never.

Votes: 43 25.7%
  • Only for complicated combats or situations.

Votes: 32 19.2%

WinnipegDragon

First Post
Bottom line, many of the complaints about 3.5 revolve around the integration of miniatures into the core rules. Maybe it's just me, but I am amazed that there are people who could play 3.0 without them. I've been using them since 2e since it makes life a lot easier in combat mechanics.

I just had to ask the question, how many people here aren't using minis?

Bleys

First Post
In our group it varies based on the mood of the DM. We've all been playing for a very long time, and we've all also had a lot of experience doing more free-form stuff, so we can just visualize it in our heads and then the DM corrects if someone doesn't something that he feels can't be done.

In other cases we just like getting out the miniatures, putting them onto a battlemat (or sometimes printed maps ;)) and then going from there.

Because you don't have a "sometimes, regardless of situation" answer I didn't end up choosing any of the above ;)

Aaron L

Hero
Never used minis, never will. It changes the game from a roleplaying game to a tabletop strategy game.

Graph paper and a pencil is all I have ever needed.

I despise minis and roleplaying games mixing. Don't get me wrong; I like minis -- for miniatures games, like Blood Bowl, though, not for roleplaying games.

Enceladus

First Post
WinnipegDragon said:
Bottom line, many of the complaints about 3.5 revolve around the integration of miniatures into the core rules. Maybe it's just me, but I am amazed that there are people who could play 3.0 without them. I've been using them since 2e since it makes life a lot easier in combat mechanics.

I just had to ask the question, how many people here aren't using minis?

I've been using them since 1E!

I assume when you say minis you mean any character representations that can be moved or placed on a map or other surface to indicate relative tactical position.

So counters on a battlemap count as minis, as do a few dice or M&Ms set down on graph paper. Or a couple of pencil marks on a graph paper sketch, for that matter.

Or did you mean to restrict the poll to lead/pewter miniature representations of characters and monsters?

Hackenslash

First Post
What Minitures ????

Bleys said:
In our group it varies based on the mood of the DM. We've all been playing for a very long time, and we've all also had a lot of experience doing more free-form stuff, so we can just visualize it in our heads and then the DM corrects if someone does something that he feels can't be done

I would agree with Bleys on this, as our group has been playing for nearly 20 years and has never had to rely on mini's in a combat situation, no matter how large or complicated. I think it stems more from practice than anything else though really. Also when we have experimented and gone thru the expense of organising and purchasing minitures, we have always found that it sort of got in the way of playing the game, having to worry about if your mini was in the right place or not etc....So I doubt we will be adopting the 3.5 Miniture rules and will still be battleing on in our over enthusiastic but perhaps less accurate minds. Peace All. :D

Last edited:

Squidibus

First Post
My group isn't usually interested in them at all, so for the most part I've never used them or seen the need. I don't see 3.5 changing my opinion on that.

Someone

Adventurer
I use self-made counters for difficult combats (tomorrow I plan a battle between a group of Yuan-Ti, a maddened wizard, a gang of assasins and the PCs. I don´t know how would I run that without using counters and minis). I search the monster´s pictures, and print them after editing. Then I glue the pictures to a piece of cardboard, wich is fastened to an also self made cardboard base.

It takes some work, but it has several advantages; I play with players new to D&D (A hill giant? Does that mean it´s tall as a hill?) and that helps them to know how (big) are the monsters, and how do they look.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads