• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[poly] hijinx

The Goblin King

First Post
Hummm....

I must say that it is unique. I'm down with the rock and roll meddleing kids. But...Is anyone really planning on running or playing in this?

It might make a good play-by-post game. I am just wondering how fun it would be once all the cliches are exhausted.

JPL

Adventurer
Nice thing about Poly...two months, and they'll give you a fresh one to play with.

Care to share the skinny on Hijinx for those of us who haven't picked it up yet?

Classes? Feats? Combat?

Imhotepthewise

Explorer
I think Jeff did a great job catching the ridiculous in a jar for us. I encourage everyone to take time to look at his work and marvel at a job well done. Will I get anyone to play? Hard to tell. I think a few episodes of Scooby Doo and Josie and I'll be all set. All that Saturday morning research must not be wasted!!!!!

Benedict

First Post
Here's a very simple breakdown of the game mechanics for those who want a little info.

--The classes are all musicians. Although they correspond to D&D classes to some extent--- I half-expected the Drummer to be a barbarian but to their credit what they did made sense.

--All "combat" is really just playing your music at the target/targets.

--When you are not playing music you are involved in trying to stop the bad guys from being bad. This part of the game includes a lot of running away (no fisticuffs on Saturday morning, thank you), playing tricks on your pursuers (hijinxs), and putting together clues to solve the mystery.

--The game has dropped a lot of things from the basic 3E rules to make for fast play that is rules light.

And my opinion. It's a humorous read, and I appreciate the good work the guys did on it. It's an interesting take on the 3e mechanics. I don't think any of my players would be interested in playing it, (we only get to play one day a week and that one day is a precious commodity to us).

benedict

Orcus

First Post
Hijinx is genius.

I am going to email Erik Mona and tell them they are all studs.

This is exactly what Polyhedron is for in my opinion, stuff like this.

I am going to have to plan a GenCon pick up game of Hijinx. It is that funny and fun.

Clark

JPL

Adventurer
Benedict said:
Here's a very simple breakdown of the game mechanics for those who want a little info.

--The classes are all musicians. Although they correspond to D&D classes to some extent--- I half-expected the Drummer to be a barbarian but to their credit what they did made sense.

Do they have a saxophonist class, or am I gonna have to write one of my own?

Can you even attempt combat?

And what happens, I wonder, if you "lose"? I mean, if those pirate ghosts had actually caught Shaggy, would they have killed him or what?

Gospog

First Post
JPL wrote:
And what happens, I wonder, if you "lose"? I mean, if those pirate ghosts had actually caught Shaggy, would they have killed him or what?

Well, in my game, the pirate ghosts would tie him up with a ridiculous amount of rope and throw him in a closet.

Then the rest of the gang could find him, getting the chance to see the white smudges on the rope. (spot check?)

"What kind of ghost paints himself white?" they will ask. A fake one, of course.

A fake ghost that would have gotten away with it, if not for...

:)

Orcus

First Post
Yes there is a "horns" class. Along with "vocalist," "guitar," "bass," "DJ," and "keyboards"

There is no combat, but there are performances.

You dont have hit points, you have cool points. When you perform you put out good vibes. rival bands and bored fans put out bad vibes. Bad vibes lower your cool points (which is bad), your good vibes lower the bored fan's cool points (which is good because then they start to dig your vibes). You make a set list and choose a front person for each song and try to win over the crowd or out play the rival evil band, using your perform skill and various feats to win over the crowd.

It is totally Josie and the Pussycats and every other "kid band cartoon" show ever with a heavy dose of Scoobie Doo mixed in. Plus maybe a bit of Spice Girls.

I wish the stuff had been more detailed, like some examples of play or performances. I have some questions. But it completely captures the genre.

Clark

JPL

Adventurer
Orcus said:
Yes there is a "horns" class. Along with "vocalist," "guitar," "bass," "DJ," and "keyboards"

I am going to quit my job and play this game full-time.

And a DJ class. That's intriguing. You could have a DJ and two vocalists and do the Run D.M.C Mysteries.

Remove ads