• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Polyhedron - Shadow Chasers

DMaple

First Post
Well I at last got my copy of Polyhedron #91 (from a shop mind you RPGA members are STILL waiting for any of the dual Dungeon/Polyhedron magazines to be delivered).

I was reading the Shadow Chasers stuff and thought it was very interesting.

Couple of things struck me as odd were that Prestige Classes were made available at about 3rd level (not 5th or higher as in D&D and most D20 games) and that the 1st level of the Soldier prestige class has +4 BAB and Saves of Fort +4, Ref +1, Will +1 is that correct?

BAB pf +4 at first level seems a little on the high side. So a Strong3/Solider1 would be BAB +6/+1 and saves Fort +7, Ref +2, Will +2. I could see a BAB of +2 to offset the fact no base class has a +1 BAB at first level but +4 seems a little over the top as does the Base Fort save.

Chronosome

First Post
That caught my eye, too, DMaple. Since I don't know a
thing about d20 other than what Shadow Dancers tells me,
I'm just going to play with it as is and change stuff if I
learn otherwise. :)

DMaple

First Post
Seems to me they have just deleted the first 3 levels of a normal Solider class then renumbered it. IE. Really that's the 4th level values for a Solider class.

I would think its bad editing I doubt they intend a 4th level character to have two attacks (BAB +6/+1) all for just getting the Point Blank Shot feat.

Welverin

First Post
DMaple said:
Seems to me they have just deleted the first 3 levels of a normal Solider class then renumbered it. IE. Really that's the 4th level values for a Solider class.

I would think its bad editing I doubt they intend a 4th level character to have two attacks (BAB +6/+1) all for just getting the Point Blank Shot feat.

There are a bunch of editing mistakes in it. I noticed in the description of coordinate for the Charismatic Hero, noble replaces tCH in a couple places.

Virginia Wilde

First Post
No, it's not a mistake. Add up the base attack of 10 levels of soldier with 10 levels of strong hero, and what do you get? A character with a +20 base attack. That's what the +4 base attack bonus is for.

Virginia Wilde

First Post
What are you talking about. The soldier isn't front loaded....well, okay, it is, but it's probably the only real combat oriented class in the game. Otherwise, no one will ever have a +20 attack bonus... and darn it, I don't remember, but I seem to remember there was some sort of stipulation that meant you couldn't get it for quite some time.......urg I wish I had my mag with me!

The only real mechanics problem I saw was that the weapons were way off. A Desert Eagle is just the same as a normal pistol. It should should do 3d8 at most. And where did this 'a LAW has four shots' come from? A LAW is (light anti-armor weapon) a one-shot disposable rocket launcher. I'm not sure, but I think that the '4' there means that that's how many you can strap to your back effectively.......
Of course, the problem inherent with a one-shot weapon is using it wisely. I've had this problem before:
"I've only got one, but it'll put you in nice, big, chunky pieces, ripe for eating or saving for later. The only problem is that it'll blow your brain to bits, thereby making it pointless for me to eat it. So, I'll just kill you with my acidic tendrils and feast upon the warm fatty coils of your cerebral bundle......."

Last edited:

DMaple

First Post
Virginia Wilde said:
What are you talking about. The soldier isn't front loaded....well, okay, it is, but it's probably the only real combat oriented class in the game. Otherwise, no one will ever have a +20 attack bonus... and darn it, I don't remember, but I seem to remember there was some sort of stipulation that meant you couldn't get it for quite some time.......urg I wish I had my mag with me!

As far as I can see you only need 3 levels of Strong Hero and the Point Blank Shot Feat.

You don't have a problem with BAB +6/+1 at 4th level where as most characters that choose not to be a Solider will have a BAB of +3 at best and more likely worse if they mulitclass.

So a Strong Hero/Solider is going to be more than 2 or 3 times better in combat than any other class. Since not only is his base attack 3 times as good he gets an extra attack each round.

Compare this to a 4th lvl Fighter BAB +4 and a 4th level Wizard BAB +2.

JPL

Adventurer
I agree that the soldier seems a little too buff. The individual weapon proficiencies bug me, too.

But I figure this is just a test run, anyway.

d20 Modern...man, I can't wait...

Wolfspider

Explorer
And where did this 'a LAW has four shots' come from? A LAW is (light anti-armor weapon) a one-shot disposable rocket launcher.

I think that the "LAW" that they had in mind when they wrote these statistic is like the one used by Arnie in Commando. It was a big boxie thing that held four rockets.

Remove ads