• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Polymorph for the small spellcaster

Junebug

First Post
My halfling rouge/sorceror will be getting 4th level spells soon. I loved reading about Kheldas' polymorphing into an Umber Hulk and tearing down walls (in Wulf's storyhour), but alas, my character is small, so I cannot polymorph to a L size creature. The only burrowing M size creatures I can think of are dire badger, wolverine and thoqqua.

Does anyone have any better ideas? Or should I just take stoneskin instead?

Tsyr

Explorer
Always good to see another michigan person 'round the boards...

Personaly, I love Polymorph, but as much for the utility value as the combat value... never underestimate changing into different forms for, say, transportation.

Zappo

Explorer
Yes, Polymorph is great for its versatility even more than for the usefulness in combat, just like the Summon Monster spells. Hehe, I recall someone on the old boards once posted a list of all the spells that could be obtained by summoning the correct creature... it was something like a couple of screens long!

Anyway, if you want to choose between stoneskin and polymorph self, I suggest polymorph self, for that very reason: versatility. As a sorcerer, and multiclass too, you don't have many different spells, and therefore you'd better have at least a few spells that, with some imagination, can be used for many purposes. Other spells like that are the various shadow spells, the monster summonings, and the image spells.

Junebug

First Post
Thanks for the advice, I never took the summon monster spells, but I recently obtained wands of SM III & IV and they have proven quite useful- it's nice to be able to stay invisible and still help out in combat :)

Abraxas

Explorer
Hey Bug - You still have to see which errata version Chirodox is going to use. I say we push for the version that was kicking around the boards awhile ago. I'll have to look through my houserule folder and see if I can find it. If I do I'll send it to you and him.

Remove ads