• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Polymorph Other (Others?)

In our game last night, one of the chracters got swallowed whole by a Behir. The sorceror then polymorphed the Behir into a fish. This led to several questions:

Is the character who is swallowed (but still alive) also polymorphed? Is he considered part of the "fish" now?

If not, and the Behir is changed into a small fish, does it get ripped apart (The character inside it is much larger than the fish's stomach)?

If the character is "part of the fish" and the fish dies, does the character also die?

We ended up ruling that the character shrunk to stay in the fish's stomach and had to make a Fortitude save to avoid dying when the fish was killed. It's easy to make an argument why this is wrong, but we couldn't come up with anything better.

Comments? Anything we missed?

hong

WotC's bitch
I would say that the character remains in the fish's stomach, having been shrunk to fit. He still needs to deal damage to exit. If/when he gets out, or the fish dies (and turns back into a behir) he gets restored to his normal size.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I know this doesn't really help you, but I ruled that all the "swallow whole" beasties don't actually swallow something alive but rather just chew the victim, so after the improved grab the victim is up in the air and it can just do damage automatically until he is dead (when it swallows) or gets bored and decides to chew something else.

So in my scenario, the behir would have been chewing him when it was polymorphed, and the pc would have been dropped during the change process.

Cheers

Aloïsius

First Post
Unless the character was already dead, he couldn't have been polymorped/reduced with the behir.
Quick house rule : If the pc has more hp than the behir stomach +9, both he and the monster lose a number of hp equal to this value (the stomach hp) and exit from the monster. If he has less, he is killed, and the monster lose the same amount of xp, and, becoming nutriment in the behir stomach, is considered part of the monster and reduce/polymorphed with it.

daTim

First Post
Let the person in the behir's stomach make the save also, if he passes, he rips the 'fish' open and is fine. If he fails... well, he's fish food hehe.

Remove ads