• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Polytheistic Clerics

davout1805

Explorer
I'm working on a new viking/Norse campaign. I'd like to make clerics (godi) feel truly polytheistic. When the party goes after giants, the godi might want to says a small prayer to Thor. Or when the party begins a sea journey a prayer to Njor is made.

Just spitballing here.

First, I would significantly expand the list of domains available. There are several on this site and many around the internet.

Second, I set each domain so there would 3 or 4 spells of each spell level above 1st, not just the odd numbered.

Third, Clerics gain access to all cantrips and 1st level spells listed in the PHB. For all other spells, the cleric is restricted to all the spells listed in a subset of domains of the god he/she last paid respect to.

At anytime a cleric may pay respect to a different god and attempt to gain access to that god's domain spells. When access to the new domains are gained, the cleric loses access to the previous domains. Unless the new god has the same domain - he would still have access.

Each attempt requires a Wisdom (Religion) - not Intelligence - skill check. If successful, the cleric receives access to at least one of the god's domains. The first time after a long rest, the DC is 0. Each attempt after, the DC increases by 5. The number of domains the cleric gains access to depends on how well he/she passed the skill check. The cleric selects which of the god's domains he/she gains access.

Pass by# of domains
1-92
10-143
15-194
20+all
If the skill check fails, the cleric does not gain access to any new domains, but still has access to the domains of the previous god. If the skill fails by more 10 or more, then not only does the cleric not gain access to any new domains, he/she loses have access to the previous set of domains.

Regarding the other abilities of a domain. My first thought would be that the cleric has the abilities of one of the god's domain selected by the cleric, provided skill check was successful. But there might be some issues.

Thanks for reading. Comments welcomed.

Vicaring

First Post
Seems complicated.

Why not just let the cleric re-choose a domain when they gain a level, if they don't like their current one? Or at a long rest?

davout1805

Explorer
I guess I like complicated. :)

Once each level or even long rest I don't think would give me the feel I'm looking for - not often enough. Maybe after short rest. But I like the idea of giving the player the choice near the end of the day of "Do you want to take the chance of getting the right spell, at risk of losing all access?"

Kusodareka

First Post
In Eberron, many clerics worship the whole pantheon of the Sovereign Host. They pick a domain that is open to any of the gods in the pantheon. I would look to do something similar with this.

But if you like complicated - go for it!

davout1805

Explorer
In Eberron, many clerics worship the whole pantheon of the Sovereign Host. They pick a domain that is open to any of the gods in the pantheon. I would look to do something similar with this.

But if you like complicated - go for it!

I'm not familiar with Eberron. Once they pick that domain, are they stuck with it?

Bera

Explorer
Fluff solution:
Assign each spell to one deity. Then a player can call out the correct god's name at the table when they cast it. Domain is simply more fluff, like a particular order of priest or lineage of the character's training.

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
I'm not familiar with Eberron. Once they pick that domain, are they stuck with it?

In theory, since the rules for domains was a 3.5E thing, the current rules no idea but I'd be inclined to run it that way for 5E, or even assign the Sovereign Host a domain all its own for clerics that worship the Host as a whole. I'd treat it much the same way that the Greek viewed the Dodekatheon.

collin

Explorer

Essentially, yes according to the regular rules. But the Sovereign Host in Eberron is made up of various "gods" (or demi-gods) and typically followers worship the whole Host, but perhaps favor 1 or 2 of the pantheon that suits their needs, beliefs, and lifestyle. Clerics of the Host will typically favor one of the pantheon within the Host but still worship the entire Host. I agree with Kusodureka that you might want to find an old copy of the 3.5 or 4.0 rules and check it out.

Last edited:

collin

Explorer
From the Eberron Campaign Setting by WotC, copyright 2004, page 68:
"The Sovereign Host consists of the deities
most commonly worshiped by the majority of
Khorvaire’s population. Most people revere
the Host as a whole pantheon, offering
prayers to different deities in different situations.
Even clerics are often devoted to the
entire Host rather than to a specific patron. Taken as
a whole, the pantheon is neutral good, and its
favored weapon is the longsword—the weapon of
its martial champion, Dol Dorn."

Last edited:

One of the most important considerations is your player group. This method would require quite a lot of maintenance and book keeping on the part of the player. Would your players welcome such a complication to keep track of or would it be a burden?

You know your players, so don't forget about the impact this has on them in this decision.

Remove ads