Port Cities

zagorm

First Post
Hi,

With my mates, we have created small fishing village called Fish Side with detailed and illustrated over 20 locations. It is available on www.theforge.pl in Free PDF’s section along with our other supplements.
I think it’s good start base for developing bigger city.

Regards
Z

Dragon-Slayer

First Post
Don't forget other game systems for inspiration. Palladium Books has an excellent fantasy book for their 2nd edition game (Adventures on the High Seas) has many easily borrowed ideas. Wizards and sorcerers specializing in elemental spells would likely have a guild that offered their services.

Deadguy

First Post
zagorm said:
Hi,

With my mates, we have created small fishing village called Fish Side with detailed and illustrated over 20 locations. It is available on www.theforge.pl in Free PDF’s section along with our other supplements.
I think it’s good start base for developing bigger city.
I wanted to add that Fish Side is a pretty darned good community. It certainly found a place in my new homebrew the moment I read it! :)

zagorm

First Post
Deadguy said:
I wanted to add that Fish Side is a pretty darned good community. It certainly found a place in my new homebrew the moment I read it! :)

Thanks D
:D

Right now we are working on typical “Knight’s hamlet” – it will available on www.theforge.pl in next two weeks.
“Knight’s hamlet” – is a part of several supplements describing human communities.
We plan to publish small city, large city and capitol of "typical" human kingdom.
All those supplements will be based on middle age’s feudal system with D20 flavor.

Regards Z

Dr Simon

Explorer
Ahem...

http://www.splendour.freeservers.com/llazaplaces.html
http://www.splendour.freeservers.com/llazapeople.html

You might find the seedy City-State of Llaza of interest if you want a more eastern feel. A cross between Colonial Shanghai and Mediaeval Venice in feel.

I apologise for the rather tatty state of the website - it's a bit dusty at the moment but I've been attending to other business.

Anyway, there are a few places and people that could be dropped in to other settings, I think.

Edit: There's also this one

http://www.splendour.freeservers.com/ships.html

I think this one came about after a visit to San Francisco...

Last edited:

Tarsus

First Post
For Example

Here's a template and an example of what I am talking about. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Name of Shop
Shop Description:
Provide a detailed description of the shop here, including exterior and interior descriptions and any special qualities of the establishment.
Quality of Service/Product:
Rating of the service provided. Select from Dismal, Very Poor, Poor, Fair, Good, Very Good, Excellent. Provide the total skill modifier for the associated skill in ( ). For example, Very Good (18 Craft – Alchemy) would be the rating for a well-reputed Alchemy shop.
Purchase/Sell Factor (If Applicable):
Percentage of the standard prices listed in the PHB or DMG. For example, a weaponsmith may purchase a sword from an adventurer for 70% of it’s value, then turn around and sell it for 110% of the actual value, giving you a ratio of 70/110.
Owner:
Provide detailed description of the shop’s owner here, including personality, appearance, etc. and full stat block.
Notables:
Provide description of any important figures associated with the shop other than the owner.
Encounter Options:
Provide at least one hook for a possible encounter or plot seed to be used in conjunction with this establishment.

Here's an example:

The Cozy Hearth Inn

Shop Description:
The Cozy Hearth is a sturdy, two-story structure with a basement. The exterior walls up to the second floor are constructed of heavy fieldstone, while the interior walls and furnishings are crafted of polished oaken timbers. A heavy oak door leads to the central hall from the wall-length covered porch outside. The central hall contains a large stone hearth and mantle, a pair of long tables with bench seats, four round tables and chairs, and a finely crafted bar with a total of six stools. A large oval chandelier crafted of antler hangs suspended above the two long tables in the center of the room. The chandelier holds a dozen thick candles which flicker and dance in the drafty room. Figurines of various sizes and shapes rest atop the mantle, ranging from a six inch ivory owl to a two feet tall bust of Tara Allestene carved from a block of cedar. A total of eight figures are currently displayed on the mantle. The bar extends ¾ of the length of the wall, screening the entranceway to the kitchen as well as the trap door leading to the basement. Several casks of ale and mead are housed beneath the 2 feet width of the polished surface, and a four-feet wide by four-feet high wine rack stands against the rear wall. Several stuffed animal heads encircle the room seven feet above the floor, giving an eerie first impression to most visitors. A wide stairway faces the bar on the opposite side of the room leading to the upstairs portion of the building.

The second floor reaches some twelve feet above the ground floor and lends space to seven rooms. Tara keeps a pair of small rooms available for Nasillea (her younger sister and waitress at The Hearth) and Osek (the cook). Another small room serves as both a bath and linen closet for the Inn. Several stacks of clean linens rest neatly upon shelves to the left and right, while a large barrel suitable for bathing occupies the middle of the room. The remaining four rooms are available for rent, although there may be a short wait so Tara can get various items relocated. (Tara uses these rooms as storage until there are requests to occupy them.)

The entrance to the basement is a small trap door located behind the bar in the central hall. The four-foot square door opens upward revealing a ladder down to the basement. The basement houses several barrels of ale, an old bed, a wine rack with a dozen or so bottles of various quality wines, four fifty pound bags of flour, a crate of potatoes and a couple of rugs or tapestries rolled tightly and secured with twine. A five-foot wide ramp leads upward to double doors at the end of the room, providing access to the outside. The earthy fragrance of mildew permeates the room.

Quality of Service/Product:
Fair (7 Profession – Innkeeper)

Purchase/Sell Factor: N/A

Owner:
Tara Allestene is a comely lady reaching her fortieth year with the vigor of one half her age. She is tall woman of slight build with shoulder length auburn hair highlighted by a smattering of gray. Her almond shaped brown eyes meet the gaze of each patron with whom she speaks, and her hospitality is sincere. She has a deep, throaty laugh and a quick wit that makes her popular with even the gruffest of patrons. Tara is a confident woman that does not hesitate to speak her mind, although she doesn’t take herself too seriously. She works hard and expects those that work for her to do the same. Tara is married to a taxidermist, lending insight into the stuffed animal heads on display in the common room.

Tara Allestene, Female Human Com4: CR 3; Size:M Type Humanoid; HD (4d4)+8; hp 21; Init +1 (+1 Dex); Spd Walk 30'; AC 11 (flatfooted 10, touch 11), Vision: Normal AL: LN; Sv: Fort +3, Ref +2, Will +5; Str 13, Dex 12, Con 15, Int 12, Wis 15, Cha 15 Skills: Climb +6, Handle Animal +7, Listen +11, Profession (Innkeeper) +7, Ride +3, Spot +9, Swim +2; Feats: Alertness, Endurance, Iron Will Possessions: 14 gp, silver bracelet (10 gp value).

Notables:
Nasillea is the waitress of The Cozy Hearth and the younger (by 12 years) sister of Tara. She resembles her elder sibling, although her hair falls midway down her back and is a redder hue. She is also a little heavier than her sister, but displays the same vigor and wit. She is unwed, although she has a ten year-old son named Thallen.

Thallen cleans the rooms and does miscellaneous tasks about the inn. He is a handsome young lad with green eyes and auburn hair. Currently, he is missing one of his front teeth and is embarrassed by the resulting lisp.

Osek is the cook for the Cozy Hearth and is a burly man in his mid-forties. Osek is a shy, barrel-chested man with a love for food. He can often be heard whistling in the kitchen but is rarely seen. On the rare occasion in which a patron becomes a nuisance, Osek emerges from the kitchen (usually brandishing a large clever) encouraging the troublemaker to leave in a booming bass voice that can be heard well into the street.

Encounter Options (EL-1)
Tara avoids going into the basement when at all possible due to an encounter with a spider a few months ago. She ventured down the ladder to retrieve a couple of bottles of wine for a regular customer’s anniversary and nearly walked directly into one of the hairy beasts. A web spanning from wine rack to ale barrels suspended the spider at face level, registering a screech from Tara as she retreated back up the ladder. She is too proud to ask Osek to deal with the vermin, although she may send any patrons that are obviously adventurers into the basement for something, hoping they stumble onto the problem and resolve it. A spot check (DC-15) will locate the web; otherwise, the spiders will surprise the character(s). The rolled and bound rugs stored in the basement were once of fine quality, and although mildew has damaged them, they are still worth 20 gp ea. Once the character(s) has dealt with the spiders, Tara offers the rugs as a gift. If the party accepts the gift and has them restored by a professional, their value soars to 150 gp each, due to the masterful workmanship and vibrant colors.
Monstrous spider, small: (2) hp 6 ea; Init +2; AC 14; Atk +4 melee; SV Fort +2, Ref +4 Will +1; Skills: Balance +10,Climb +10, Hide +11, Move Silently +8, Spot +3; Feats: Weapon Finesse (bite)

Remove ads