Portent vs. Lucky

Zene

First Post
Hi folks, I've got a Cleric character that took one level of Wizard. I'm planning out my level progression, and realizing that once I hit Cleric 18 (Character Level 19), I can either take one more level of Wizard to pick up Portent, or I can take Cleric 19 and pick up the Lucky feat.

I've never used either Portent or Lucky. Is one generally better than the other? I'm leaning toward Portent because it seems like a high-level cleric would appreciate the predictability of pre-genned rolls.

(Note: The original plan was to go Conjuration school, with the plan of using Minor Conjuration to whip up spell components for expensive spells like Heroes Feast, Resurrection, etc. But the general DM consensus seems to be that's a no-go, hence the current options. I'd also be open to other suggestions on L2 wizard schools / feats that a high-level cleric might want instead of Lucky or Portent.)

Last edited:

WarpedAcorn

First Post
I haven't used Portent, but I do currently use Lucky. The 3 re-rolls / Long Rest have been a great tool to save my bacon. I have RARELY used the reroll offensively, but have really used it more for the defensive (turning Crits into *hopefully* misses) and to reroll some crucial ability check. Its a real confidence boost to go into any situation and basically have "advantage" with the Lucky rolls. I haven't HAD to use a roll on any Saving Throws, but having the option is a huge comfort factor.

So my vote is definitely Lucky.

Zene

First Post
really used it more for the defensive (turning Crits into *hopefully* misses)

Ooh, I'd forgotten that you can use Lucky on attacker's rolls. You can for Portent too, but since you have to use Portent before the roll, it doesn't have that "turn a crit into a miss" use. So that's a big plus in Lucky's favor.

This character is a front-liner with high AC (full plate, shield, and Shield spell) --crits are relatively more scary to him. He faced a couple of things recently that, had they critted, could have hit for double his HP and one-shot killed him.

Last edited:

WarpedAcorn

First Post
Ooh, I'd forgotten that you can use Lucky on attacker's rolls. You can for Portent too, but since you have to use Portent before the roll, it doesn't have that "turn a crit into a miss" use. So that's a big plus in Lucky's favor.

This character is a front-liner with high AC (full plate, shield, and Shield spell) --crits are relatively more scary to him. He faced a couple of things recently that, had they critted, could have hit for double his HP and one-shot killed him.

Yeah that's where I'm at. I'm rocking 1/2 Plate +1 and just got a Shield +1, and sometimes running Shield of Faith. So with a lot of attacks its usually only crits that hit (btw, I HATE how there is no Crit-Confirm roll in 5th Edition), and using Lucky to negate that big Crit by the nasty bad guy has saved my butt.

I guess the real question is that Portent lets you know what you're swapping and Lucky is a crap-shoot. But Lucky also has more uses right? I don't have the PHB in front of me, but don't you only get 2 rolls per Long Rest with Portent?

Zene

First Post
Yeah 2 per long rest with Portent
(they have to be announced before the roll, the number is known beforehand, and they straight-up replace the die roll)

Lucky is 3 per long rest
(can be used after the roll, the number is not known beforehand, and they just add one more roll result you can choose from)

hejtmane

Explorer
I have a EK/wizard that has both and they are both equally great I have seen both in action and I would say it is a very very hard choice.

Best part on the Portent if you get a low # roll cast a spell you can auto fail the saving throw on monster or what ever; talk about messing up a DM's plans. Had the main boss locked down in nothing flat because of Portent. Remember you can do it when your teammates cast a spell as while you can yea auto lock down the big bad guy; unless they have legendary actions to counter but it has the throw a curve ball to the DM effect when used in diabolical player fashion.

Now on the Lucky it is great for your personal character when things go wrong.

I personally think Portent is the best 2 level dip power in the game everyone talks about warlock and devilsight and EB spam but that is easy to counter; as a DM getting a monkey wrench tossed into your gears cause more problems.

While I like both I rule Portent is stronger imo

Last edited:

faria

First Post
Portent lets you replace enemy d20 rolls too, not just your own............. That's insanely powerful. Use low Portent rolls to make an enemy fail a crucial saving throw, prevent a critical hit against you, or flat out miss an attack, etc. I'd go for Portent.

Remove ads