Portfolio Question

Sykyrys

First Post
Regarding Portfolio prerequisites...

Do you lose the Fear portfolio if your Strength increases as a result of Divine Immensity or Shapechange?

I couldn't imagine you suddenly becoming less terrifying and losing the fear portfolio due to that.

Are such prerequisites merely flavor-text? Or do they just become irrelevant once you actually have the portfolio.

I ask this because I can easily imagine someone using Strength (brute force) to terrify the crap out of someone.

I can even imagine a god of Fear and Strength (think divine schoolyard bully).

Howdy Sykyrys dude! :)

Sykyrys said:
Regarding Portfolio prerequisites...

Do you lose the Fear portfolio if your Strength increases as a result of Divine Immensity or Shapechange?

I couldn't imagine you suddenly becoming less terrifying and losing the fear portfolio due to that.

Are such prerequisites merely flavor-text? Or do they just become irrelevant once you actually have the portfolio.

I ask this because I can easily imagine someone using Strength (brute force) to terrify the crap out of someone.

I can even imagine a god of Fear and Strength (think divine schoolyard bully).

Well lets remember that generally bullies pick on those weaker than themselves, or at least are perceived weaker than themselves. So they are not necessarily strong compared to their peers. They may be strong compared to the people they pick on though.

But ultimately what a DM wants to use is totally up to them.

I don't think a temporary change in strength would affect the portfolio. But a permanent one might...and I don't consider something that impacts a character the majority of the time to be temporary.

Sykyrys

First Post
Generally true, but there are those that use brute force or Strength to intimidate, rather than personality.

If the fear portfolio were modified to reflect this, what might be a good opposed portfolio to replace Strength as an opposed portfolio.

I've long considered Intelligence (or Knowledge) and Strength to be opposed, rather than fear (an emotion) to be it's opposite.

Brains before brawn, etc.

Temporary srength gain won't affect them? So...go by their true Strength score since anything temporary can be easily negated?

What about an ability that increases your own strength the more terrified your opponent is? How would something like that work?

Hello again! :)

Sykyrys said:
Generally true, but there are those that use brute force or Strength to intimidate, rather than personality.

If the fear portfolio were modified to reflect this, what might be a good opposed portfolio to replace Strength as an opposed portfolio.

I've long considered Intelligence (or Knowledge) and Strength to be opposed, rather than fear (an emotion) to be it's opposite.

Brains before brawn, etc.

Strength/Heroism/Courage VS. Fear/Weakness/Cowardice

It seemed pretty straightforward to me.

Temporary srength gain won't affect them? So...go by their true Strength score since anything temporary can be easily negated?

Its a very thorny subject. On reflection I say you can increase strength PROVIDED Strength is still your lowest ability score. Therefore what you want is a spell or ability that grants ability score bonuses to all scores evenly.

What about an ability that increases your own strength the more terrified your opponent is? How would something like that work?

I wouldn't allow it myself.

Increasing Strength is the Strength Portfolio. Decreasing strength is the Fear portfolio. Instead of increasing your own strength you should be decreasing the streangth of others. ;)

Sykyrys

First Post
Its a very thorny subject. On reflection I say you can increase strength PROVIDED Strength is still your lowest ability score. Therefore what you want is a spell or ability that grants ability score bonuses to all scores evenly.

I handled this by evening out my character's ability scores via wish. This proved to be costly, but effective. He used Karmic [Effect] to keep his experience total beyond it's current level, then he used wishes to change Karmic [Effect] into Cosmic String. Essentially customizing his own abilities.

He sees himself as a bioweapon of sorts and he's always trying to enhance himself somehow. Needless to say most deities of the immortal tier fear and hate him in our campaign. He's viewed as being the most power hungry and insane god in that dimension.

Truthfully, he couldn't care less about power, he's all about self-perfection (from his perspective) and if others want to prevent him from evolving then they deserve all the punishment he can dish out.

Increasing Strength is the Strength Portfolio. Decreasing strength is the Fear portfolio. Instead of increasing your own strength you should be decreasing the streangth of others. ;)

How exactly would an ability that lowers your strength each round function? I'm referring to an effect of sorts that affects anyone in your divine aura. Not Withering Strength Storm, but a continual effect that functions even while you're in melee.

Would it be something like 2 points of Strength drain per round, Strength drain that even effects those immune to Strength drain? Would an ability like that be divine or cosmic?

Howdy Sykyrys! :)

Sykyrys said:
I handled this by evening out my character's ability scores via wish. This proved to be costly, but effective. He used Karmic [Effect] to keep his experience total beyond it's current level, then he used wishes to change Karmic [Effect] into Cosmic String. Essentially customizing his own abilities.

He sees himself as a bioweapon of sorts and he's always trying to enhance himself somehow. Needless to say most deities of the immortal tier fear and hate him in our campaign. He's viewed as being the most power hungry and insane god in that dimension.

Truthfully, he couldn't care less about power, he's all about self-perfection (from his perspective) and if others want to prevent him from evolving then they deserve all the punishment he can dish out.

Thats the spirit! :D

How exactly would an ability that lowers your strength each round function? I'm referring to an effect of sorts that affects anyone in your divine aura. Not Withering Strength Storm, but a continual effect that functions even while you're in melee.

Isn't there an Aura option on Withering [Effect]? Or is my 3E knowledge loss complete? :eek:

Would it be something like 2 points of Strength drain per round,

The drain would be based on your Hit Dice as with all [Effect] based powers.

Strength drain that even effects those immune to Strength drain? Would an ability like that be divine or cosmic?

I think to work on someone immune to strength drain you would need to have more Fear Portfolios than they have strength portfolios. You could never drain a god with the double Strength Portfolio. But if you had 2 fear portfolios and the god only had one strength portfolio then you could drain them.

Sykyrys

First Post
Isn't there an Aura option on Withering [Effect]? Or is my 3E knowledge loss complete? :eek:

Thanks, I completely missed that. :)

Now come different questions.

My character has been adopted by Apep (Apep sees my character as an amusing pet).

What kind of influences would this have on my character?

In the campaign Apep is secretly my character's father, but even Apep is unaware of this factor.

What kind of affect would is bloodline have on my character.

What is Apep? Is Apep a dragon of some sort?

Ahoy there! :)

Sykyrys said:
Thanks, I completely missed that. :)

Now come different questions.

Fire away! :)

My character has been adopted by Apep (Apep sees my character as an amusing pet).

What kind of influences would this have on my character?

Obviously Apep's alignment as he attempts to impose his will, would be the primary influence.

In the campaign Apep is secretly my character's father, but even Apep is unaware of this factor.

What kind of affect would is bloodline have on my character.

What is Apep? Is Apep a dragon of some sort?

Well I don't want to give too much away, but Apep shows up in the Against the Reptile God adventure (off the top of my head he's in the second part (of 3), rather than the first "The Serpent Riders".

Classically Apep is a giant Fire Breathing snake, whose relationship with Set is undefined (though I will (re)define it). ;)

If your character is the child of Apep then it might have some slight Yuan-ti style abilities and features, you could also check out Flame Snakes.

Sykyrys

First Post
Obviously Apep's alignment as he attempts to impose his will, would be the primary influence.

What alignment is Apep? I'd assume chaotic evil, but I haven't read much about Apep and there seem to be different versions of him.

Well I don't want to give too much away, but Apep shows up in the Against the Reptile God adventure (off the top of my head he's in the second part (of 3), rather than the first "The Serpent Riders".

Cool, that will be useful. B-)

Classically Apep is a giant Fire Breathing snake, whose relationship with Set is undefined (though I will (re)define it).

If I were to guess that Set was his aspect or avatar, would I be correct?

If your character is the child of Apep then it might have some slight Yuan-ti style abilities and features, you could also check out Flame Snakes.

My character's portfolios are Chaos, Death, Evil, Fear, and Madness, which of those would have been chosen by Apep when he was conceived?

I see Apep as having Chaos, Destruction, and Fire, and possibly Evil as portfolios from what I've read on wiki. But you might have other ideas. :hmm:

Other Questions...

What divine stature is Apep? :erm:

Will you be creating the remainder of the Egyptian deities? :confused:

When is Ascension due to be printed? B-)

When is the Vampire Bestiary for 3.5 due to be finished? B-)

I know you roll 1d1000 to determine when a project will be completed, but it's nice to get updated opinions on such things. :angel:

Last edited:

Hey there! :)

Sykyrys said:
What alignment is Apep? I'd assume chaotic evil, but I haven't read much about Apep and there seem to be different versions of him.

Chaotic Evil sounds about right.

Cool, that will be useful. B-)

:cool:

If I were to guess that Set was his aspect or avatar, would I be correct?

No.

My character's portfolios are Chaos, Death, Evil, Fear, and Madness, which of those would have been chosen by Apep when he was conceived?

In 3E, certainly Chaos and Evil.

I see Apep as having Chaos, Destruction, and Fire, and possibly Evil as portfolios from what I've read on wiki. But you might have other ideas. :hmm:

Indeed I might.

Other Questions...

What divine stature is Apep? :erm:

Without giving too much away, he'll be in the second of my planned adventures (called "No Chance in Hell") which is a Delve for Levels 29-32. Thats not to confirm or deny he will be amidst those levels, but he'll be a suitable opponent for characters of those levels.

Will you be creating the remainder of the Egyptian deities? :confused:

I think I will be covering virtually all the Egyptian bad guys (and girls) over the course of the adventure series as well as a few of the good guys.

When is Ascension due to be printed? B-)

Thats a good question.

Here is a list of what I need to do:

A. Finish Vampire Bestiary and get that on sale
B. Finish (my 25% of) The Serpent Riders (so that I can give my 25% to the other writers)
C. Illustrate the Appendix to the Revised 3.5E Epic Bestiary - the contest winners and get that on sale.
D. Illustrate the Serpent Riders and get that on sale
E. Illustrate the 3.5E Ascension and get that on sale

A and B have to be done in that order, C, D and E are a bit more fluid.

When is the Vampire Bestiary for 3.5 due to be finished? B-)

I don't think it will be anytime soon. I know I won't have the Vampire Bestiary 4E done for another few weeks yet. My guess is that any 3.5E conversion could take months. There are something like 100 stat blocks in the VB.

I know you roll 1d1000 to determine when a project will be completed, but it's nice to get updated opinions on such things. :angel:

The stars are slowly but surely aligning on the Vampire Bestiary.

Remove ads